Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
March 30, 2020, 12:42:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Douglas World Cruiser  (Read 10573 times)
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 72

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: December 30, 2019, 06:29:57 AM »

Look forward to seeing this one, Tim  Smiley
yagua
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Argentina Argentina

and still trying!

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: December 30, 2019, 07:11:43 AM »

World Class World Cruiser!!  Shocked Shocked

27º19'54.94'' S
58º56'52.31'' W
HOME SWEET HOME!!
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: December 30, 2019, 01:33:12 PM »

Repair is looking good...

take care of it and take your time to ensure proper conditions and catching help during trimming.

Your comment about different paint made me thinking. I had the same problem just before IIFI with my Vendome, even from the same jar. Of course, in my case it was some years from initial spraying to repairing, so it makes some sense.

A different jar, also, but you must have been very "lucky". Did you stir the second jar as much? It looks more glossy than the initial coat.

A rather late adviece might be to try it on a scrap first, to make sure you have the same shade - sheen. Late for me too  Grin

George

scale free flight & micro RC
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: December 31, 2019, 04:55:41 AM »

There are a number of factors why it looks different on the repair, among them the direction the model is sprayed from, if the repair is sprayed from the front of the model because its easier it will look different it the whole model was sprayed from the back. The pigments are laying at a different angle so catch the light different. An extreme example is a car that has just had accident repair, especially if it has a metallic finish!
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 77

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2020, 09:49:22 PM »

Thought this was an interesting detail. 
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Douglas World Cruiser

Mark
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: January 27, 2020, 04:55:24 PM »

And here is a present for Tim... With the hidden suggestion of turning it into a seaplane as well.

Found it and immediately thought of you

Imagine flying rounds 1 and 3 as landplane, then 2 and 4 as seaplane  Grin

Think about it  Wink

George

g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: February 16, 2020, 10:16:08 AM »

Yeah Tim!

Tim Horne
Silver Member

Kudos: 22

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: February 16, 2020, 12:02:47 PM »

An update after a long break as I haven’t been doing anything with the DWC. Sorry for not responding to comments from Mark and George.

Mark, for another view of the storage compartment see this film here https://youtu.be/e5xkWPICs0c. Near the beginning you see one of the pilots loading his luggage into it before setting off.
I put a thin sheet of balsa to represent the door and drew the outline on in pen.

I did think about doing an interchangeable undercarriage George but it gets very complicated. The mounting struts are all different so every part of the wheeled u/c has to come off and new struts in different mounts hold the floats. Add to that the size of the floats; approximately 380mm x 60mm x 40mm - 2 off. That’s a lot more weight, especially for me! My model is heavy enough with two wheels.
 I will let you have all my documentation so that you can build it if you like  Grin

I presume your last comment is as a result of seeing this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0npTsPlTQE. This was at the Manchester Velodrome yesterday (Saturday 15th Feb) and yes I am very pleased and relieved to have nearly got the trim sorted. The next flight was better still with a smidge more downthrust and more turns. We have another Velodrome meeting, the NW Gala, in 3 weeks time so I have another opportunity to improve things again before the UK Nats.

Tim
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: February 16, 2020, 03:04:26 PM »

Thanks for the offer Tim, but I 'l have to pass.

I was just trying to lure the competition into more trouble  Grin But it didn't bite...

Great to see and hear it is flying properly, October / November is not that far away, keep it safe until then and start building something new  Wink

Tim Horne
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: March 01, 2020, 02:39:47 PM »

Now that I am more confident of actually committing aviation with the DWC I have been adding some more details. I have a list of the things I want to do to complete the model before the UK Nats in April. After all this is an Open rubber model so I want to squeeze the best static score I can out of the judges, without going to extremes. These are details that will add very little weight but will hopefully enhance the scale appearance, without taking me forever to do.

The first thing was probably the fiddliest thing I have done on this model, but definitely a glaring omission if not done. The fin and elevator control horns and wires.
It took me ages to get usable photos of these things.
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: March 01, 2020, 02:47:34 PM »

The next job that was essential before I did myself an injury was to make a new, lighter, box. I didn't want to have to carry the original one all the way in to the Velodrome again next weekend. Had to lie down for a week after the last meeting Shocked. This one is much better Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 128

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: March 01, 2020, 03:26:06 PM »

The control horns and wires have added an extra touch of class to an already very classy model. New box looks good too (and the old one will make a very handy wardrobe-cum-bomb-shelter).
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 72

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: March 01, 2020, 04:18:06 PM »

It gets even better!  Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 128

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2020, 04:21:26 PM »

Thought I'd better post this here too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjOh1svRR3g
Well done, Tim!
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2020, 04:30:09 PM »

Superb flight Tim, the world cruiser looks great in the air

Thanks for the video Pete
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2020, 05:00:13 PM »

Smiley

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 183

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: March 08, 2020, 03:28:32 AM »

Spot on Tim! Beautiful flight.

John
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2020, 01:48:20 PM »

Thanks chaps Smiley. I was very pleased with the flight yesterday and hope to improve it again at the Nats.

For now I still have a few little details to complete.
The next is just a painted pattern which I don't know the purpose of.
On the lower wings at the root area is a pattern of black and white. If anyone can enlighten me as to what this was done for then please let me know. It is not the same each side and the other aircraft appear to have similar patterning. In the photo of the "Chicago" which George posted in reply 81 of this thread you can see the same patterning. I thought it might have been damage repair but then it would not be the same on two different aircraft. Wing walks was my other thought but it goes right around the leading edge and around the struts and bracing wires where you couldn't walk easily if you tried.

robert pajas
Bronze Member

Kudos: 20

Czech Republic Czech Republic

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: March 26, 2020, 08:28:18 PM »

YES!

So nice!
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2020, 01:51:33 AM »

Thanks chaps Smiley. I was very pleased with the flight yesterday and hope to improve it again at the Nats.

For now I still have a few little details to complete.
The next is just a painted pattern which I don't know the purpose of.
On the lower wings at the root area is a pattern of black and white. If anyone can enlighten me as to what this was done for then please let me know. It is not the same each side and the other aircraft appear to have similar patterning. In the photo of the "Chicago" which George posted in reply 81 of this thread you can see the same patterning. I thought it might have been damage repair but then it would not be the same on two different aircraft. Wing walks was my other thought but it goes right around the leading edge and around the struts and bracing wires where you couldn't walk easily if you tried.

Maybe access to the fittings where the landing gear and Float struts attach?  Might have had to do visual inspections inside the wing where the fittings attach to the internal structure.  Just a "W.A.G"  Grin Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: