Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 24, 2019, 06:03:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stick fuselage cross piece trick  (Read 1253 times)
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Topic starter
Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« on: April 02, 2017, 07:30:58 PM »

The attached photo shows what I have been using for stick fuselage cross pieces when gluing them.  I try to make these sticks very slightly longer than the relaxed space between the sides but sometimes they just do not fit tightly enough.  If the sticks are not held together tightly the glue joint will not be as good as possible.  Just as I left Raytheon I had some aluminum scrap cut into a number of blocks from some drop off 1" thick.  This was done on a cold saw (think a table saw for metal) and this gave me some very square blocks.  I had 2 pieces that ended up as 1 1/4 x 1 1/4 x 1 or so. These turn out to be just the right weight to hold the sides of the fuselage in very close contact with the fuselage cross pieces.  I only have 2 of these but since I almost always have 2 models going at the same time I can go from one to the other building board and keep progress going right along. I use a solvent glue mix that is made up of Duco, Ambroid, Sig and Bond 527 thinned with acetone so the joints dry rapidly.  Besides at this point in my life I am not in a hurry anymore anyway!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Stick fuselage cross piece trick

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Seagull
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2017, 03:12:52 PM »

Excellent idea!
Are they square enough to use as blocks for the sides of fuselage lay-ups?
By the way, what material is you work surface? Cork? High density foam?
tx, Ed

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. -- Henry Ford
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Topic starter
Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2017, 03:47:15 PM »

Yes they are square enough to use that way.  I have some larger ones that work better, like 2 x 2 x 1 or so.  I also have some 1,2,3 machinest blocks that also work.  The table top is some 1/2" thick end grain balsa that Raytheon's composite dept was throwing away, I think they were samples, that I directed home.  They were about 4 ft sq and there were 2 pieces.  I cut some and glued to a piece of MDF 1/2" x 12" x 4 ft long.  It works very nicely and when the surface gets to full of holes I can glue another layer in place.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
martina
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 06:11:08 PM »

Another stick fuselage cross piece "trick" I have seen (can't remember where though!) is to use a rectangular rather than square cross piece at certain positions, say at the nose and wing mount. For example, if the longerons and uprights are 1/8" sq then use 1/8"x1/4" or 1/8"x3/16" at these locations - the benefit is that the cross piece is glue to the upright as well as the longeron giving a better joint.

Martin
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 01:51:00 PM »

A 1/16 x 1/4 crosspiece wouldn't add any weight over 1/8 square, and it ought to have sufficient compression strength.

a.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: