Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 06, 2019, 03:24:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Carbon wingpost attachment?  (Read 631 times)
Rossclements
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter
F1D is pretty neat

Ignore
« on: January 18, 2018, 12:25:34 PM »

Hello all,

After seeing Joshua Finn's F1D at kibble, I figure I should try carbon wing posts. I hate boron/balsa wing posts, it always seems to pop up. But I'm not too sure how to attach them to the motor stick, it seems that under the torque of a fully wound motor, that they would cut into the balsa? Is this a problem, and if so, what should I do to fix it? For the tissue tube attachment for the wing, I figure I can drill out a piece of 16th to slide over the .028" wing post.

Thanks!
Ross Clements
jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:05:35 PM »

Mine are simply glued in precisely located holes in my motor tubes.  I use larger carbon tubing, and have no concerns about damaging my motor tubes.  Details of how I make my wing posts are at the link.  I personally wouldn't recommend .028 carbon.  It's much too flexible in my opinion.

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=20872.0
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 05:10:38 PM »

I use a jig to hold my rolled fuse in place, then drill out holes using a mill.

Those holes can be hardened with a bit of CA. I typically add about 1/8" squares of tissue glued on with thinned Ambroid though.

For the carbon tubes, a bit of CA on the surface where they will hit the wood, then some Ambroid to really cement them in place.

I haven't had issues with the carbon tubes being too flexible, however my design has fairly short wing posts.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: