Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 21, 2019, 09:26:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VP Hubs - for the techies among us  (Read 18728 times)
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2017, 06:06:42 PM »

going back to the subject of vp: my third version has a carbon rod on which hang my fibreglass prop blade tubes. The rod in turn runs through a carbon tube. It seems very smooth in terms of action. But what I've been reading from your experience and Kang's, it would appear friction is an issue, I guess under load. You talk about teflon dust... is a bit of lube out of the question?

I have used silicon o-ring lube from an old Nikonos I have. It works great, no binding. I also smooth the 0.020" rod with 2500 grit sandpaper first.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

jakepF1D
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2017, 06:07:05 PM »

I built a prototype hub a few years ago using Kang's design as a reference, but I never added blades and actually flew with it.  I know Kang had issues with friction, but I'm not sure if he resolved them.  I haven't seen any of his VP hubs in quite a while so I don't know if he's still using that design, or abandoned it for something else.  

For what it's worth, I haven't had any issues with friction in my hub design which also involves carbon on carbon.  I initially used PTFE powder, but I've since abandoned it as I don't think it's necessary.
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2017, 10:54:55 PM »

UPS brough me a box today. Nice piece of equipment. Now to find a feed rate for carbon fiber. How many end mills will I break?  Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VP Hubs - for the techies among us
brabazon
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2017, 02:19:30 PM »

UPS brough me a box today. Nice piece of equipment. Now to find a feed rate for carbon fiber. How many end mills will I break?  Grin
nice one! I bought a kt 70 base for my drill stand (MB 140) and a milling bit today. There's going to be some carbon dust flying about both sides of the pond I think.
brabazon
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #204 on: January 21, 2017, 11:53:10 AM »

I had a go at flying my vp for the first time. I discovered that my spring is too weak right off the bat and that my top hat slips off the top stop screw! Still performance wasn't bad at all, once I got the blade angles reasonably close.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #205 on: January 21, 2017, 01:48:46 PM »

my top hat slips off the top stop screw!

I've seen some very competent fliers have this problem. For my F1M hubs I nearly always add a carbon shim to thicken the arm where it hits the high pitch screw (and possibly the low pitch screw also).
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #206 on: January 21, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »

This is maybe off topic but I just bought a new cordless Dremel tool - a model 8220. My old Model 800 died for the second or third time so I decided it was time to move on. The Model 8220 is a lot bigger and heavier - 23 ounces vs. 16. I'm hoping it's going to be a good replacement for the old one.

And of course the battery is different.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VP Hubs - for the techies among us
brabazon
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2017, 10:02:56 AM »

my top hat slips off the top stop screw!

I've seen some very competent fliers have this problem. For my F1M hubs I nearly always add a carbon shim to thicken the arm where it hits the high pitch screw (and possibly the low pitch screw also).

yes, that's a good suggestion. I might also mush the end of the aluminium screw head to make it more pan shaped.
jakepF1D
Gold Member

1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2017, 03:18:24 PM »

For anyone that wants more information on my VP hub, a construction article with some photos was just published on INAV.

https://indoornewsandviews.com/2017/01/25/the-almost-all-carbon-f1d-vp/
Skymon
Gold Member

fly it

Ignore
« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2018, 08:31:14 AM »

Jake
Massive respect to you for cutting threads on that ally tube!!!
I've been struggling and struggling Sad
When you say 'take it slow' wow, you really mean it Smiley
S
jakepF1D
Gold Member

1996 World Champs

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2018, 11:57:00 PM »

It does take a lot of patience and practice, but it gets easier.  I've done enough of them now that it's become fairly easy, but I spent a lot of time cleaning aluminum chunks out of my thread die when I started.
Skymon
Gold Member

fly it

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: March 01, 2018, 03:20:16 AM »

Me too  Grin
I struggle with the patience required to perform 1/8th of a turn, then back off.
I started using a 4" rod and quickly moved on to your advised tiny stub in a pin vice.
Thanks so much for sharing your methods.
I love the collaboration in this hobby.

Best regards
S
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: