Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 17, 2019, 12:20:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guillows Lancer  (Read 555 times)
TomCruyplants
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Belgium Belgium

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 24, 2017, 04:27:42 PM »

Hi everybody!

Proud of today's test flight with my first flying model, the Guillows Lancer. As this is my first flying model it is my test-mule for some different set ups in rubber and prop. I threw away the rubber from the kit and placed an aftermarket 8" plastic prop. I used to have around 55 inches of 3/16 rubber in it and used the back motor mount. But this set up needed some clay in the nose for the correct CG and made the model to heavy. Also i noticed the motor was'nt fully onwound when the model hit the ground. When i picked it up again the motor startet running again.

So today i installed a 43 inch loop of 1/4 rubber.  This took the model way up there  Smiley
The movie i made was actually a second flight. The first one ended with me fearing to lose the model in the threes and eventually revovering it in a field next to mine between some sheeps  Cheesy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoxgCpJC84w

How many turns per inch would be good for a 1/4 rubber without stressing the engine?

greetings,
Tom
TomCruyplants
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Belgium Belgium

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 12:48:41 AM »

And some pictures from the model. As wel as a link to my previous test flight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdqIbwsV9iw

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Guillows Lancer
Re: Guillows Lancer
dieterperiperi
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 02:47:20 AM »

Hi Tom, nice flights! My first build was the Lancer just less than year ago and a great flier, just like yours. I used the kit prop and 1/4” sports rubber, not sure of the exact length but it was about half a length extra from the peg to the prop, stretch wound.  My video on youtube is listed under “dieterperiperi” I have since mounted a gizmo geezer 6” prop with free wheeling mechanism on but not realy tested it. Best of luck with you flying
Dieter

dlasich
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 10:23:28 AM »

I love the Lancer... once of my first planes.  Good video.. looks close to 1 minute.  Here's a link to a web site I found that has an equation to calculate the maximum number of turns.  A 1/4" loop is about 73 turns per inch... so 43 inces is over 3,000.  I usually only go up to about 80% of that to play it safe.  http://www.endlesslift.com/motor-turns-tables/
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 11:22:25 AM »

In the Builder's Plan Gallery you can find 2 turn calculator:

May 1999 Rubber Turn, Torque Calculator by frash
and
Rubber Motor Turns Graph by hepcat

very helpfull tools to know what to do  Cheesy

Urs