Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 08, 2019, 11:01:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Horak Wanderer  (Read 680 times)
NeilH
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2018, 06:33:53 PM »

Hi all,
I have started a Horak Wanderer and am looking for information on motor size.  I'm thinking maybe 12 or 14 strands at 1.3 to 1.5 times hook to peg length braided, is this about right?  Since it is similar in size to a Gollywock is that what they use?  Also the aft fuselage tapers some in cross section where the aft peg is located.  Is there any problem with bunching of the motor as it unwinds?  Should the peg be moved forward?  I really like the curved lines compared to the Gollywock, besides everyone has a Golly so I've always liked to try something different.
Neil

Will fly for fun
Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 06:44:39 AM »

Hi,

I am sorry that I missed this - I hope this information is not too late.

I fly my Wanderer on 6 loops (12 strands) of 1/8" rubber, about 40" long.  I can put somewhere around 1500 turns in it and it gets jsut over 1 minute motor run (and gets nice and high).

--george

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Horak Wanderer

flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 07:03:16 AM »

George, do you braid the motor?  Never heard of a 12 strand motor being braided.  However, I can always learn.
Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:53:39 AM »

Yes, I braid it.

I make one loop and evenly divide it into 6 loops.  Basically, I put a bobbin on my stooge, anchoring one end of the long loop on the bobbin, and then wrap the loop around the bobbin to create the six loops (12 strands).  Then I take 3 loops and "set them aside" (actually I put them over my little finger) and turn in few hundred turns into the other three loops.  I swap the halves of the motor and wind in the same amount into the reserved three loops.  I put both bundles on a crocket hook and let them unwind (on the winder).  You could actually do this with each of the 6 loops individually - or 3 groups of 2 loops - but why complicate things :-)

--george

dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »

That's a very atmospheric photo George, I have the bones of a Horak Wanderer somewhere, I should dig it out!
NeilH
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »

Thanks George, actually I have put the Wanderer aside to build an E36 but I should be getting back to it soon.

Will fly for fun
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: