Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 06:02:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Eze Dope Followup  (Read 1048 times)
BalsaGuy55
Bronze Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 02, 2018, 04:54:10 PM »

I thought it might be good to post this as a new topic.

I emailed Deluxe Materials, the maker of Eze Dope the following message through their website:

I applied Eze Dope to a Guillows series 500 FW190 that I am building. I first shrank the tissue with water and I followed the directions on the bottle and applied a solution of 70% water and 30% Eze Dope to the tissue.

The problem is that after I applied the Eze Dope there was a white stringy appearance on the tissue. Please see the attached photo to see what it looks like. I used a sponge brush and then tried a regular brush and both types caused the white, stringy appearance.

Can you tell me if there is some method to avoid this? I would like to be able to use Eze Dope because I can apply it inside and there is virtually no smell which is good for me since I am so sensitive to chemicals.

Thank you,

Dan

To their credit, Deluxe Materials responded as follows:

Dear  Daniel the  puddling effect  is a build up of the  sticky dope. . Just try diluting it some  more. Don’t  let  it run.
This article  may help  you too.

John

The article is attached below:

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Eze Dope Followup
Eze Dope Followup
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 10:21:33 AM »

I had read the article before yourcpost.  I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of Andrews Article and several people have had good results with this dope.  But others not so.  So far I have no problems using conventional dope so will continue to do so.  Probably an age thing as well!  I suspect that the formula of Ezedopenmay have changed since its original introduction.  It would be interesting to see what others think.  Point is did their suggestion work for you?
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 01:21:00 PM »

I've used EZ dope several times.  It's worked fine but then I'm not as picky as some about the finish. If it seals and protects the tissue I'm good.  It works great on polyspan where it blends in nicely.

The Deluxe Materials product I like alot is Cover Grip.  It works great for attaching Mylar and Polyspan, is water soluble and doesn't smell bad.  It's a winner!

Here is a Joulebox wing covered with quarter mil mylar using Cover Grip.

http://village.photos/images/user/117f8caa-e48e-496e-857b-d259a994d945/f23770cf-756f-42aa-a1bf-04e18d5950c0.jpg

At some point I'm going to try using EZ Dope to attach tissue to mylar.  If I can figure out a way to do it the i'll be able to do tissue over mylar in the living room.  That's a big deal to me!
Eze Dope Followup

They fly better when you smile!
Derek
dieterperiperi
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 06:45:04 PM »

Yep eze dope works for me.
Derek: let us know how the tissue over mylar comes out. I too have been wondering about it
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 07:24:45 PM »

Yep eze dope works for me.
Derek: let us know how the tissue over mylar comes out. I too have been wondering about it

I'll give it a try in a couple of weeks when I get back from the contests at Lost Hills, CA.  I have several ideas on how to do it. I'll start a new thread and make a report at that time.

Derek
BalsaGuy55
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 03:11:40 AM »

I had read the article before yourcpost.  I have no reason to doubt the authenticity of Andrews Article and several people have had good results with this dope.  But others not so.  So far I have no problems using conventional dope so will continue to do so.  Probably an age thing as well!  I suspect that the formula of Ezedopenmay have changed since its original introduction.  It would be interesting to see what others think.  Point is did their suggestion work for you?

I think it would be worthwhile to try a thinner solution.  I'm about half-way through my next build and I'll post here about my results with  80/20 and 90/10 solutions when I start tissue covering.
DerekMc
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 11:53:27 AM »

Another option I'm messing around with is using alcohol to thin the EZ dope. I think I got the idea from an Aeromodeller article?  I used 91% Isopropyl to thin EZ Dope 50% for sealing a balsa sheet rudder. The idea is that the alcohol will dry\evaporate faster than water so there is less chance of warping. It worked well.

Getting the isopropyl and ezdope to mix can be a challenge. I use my paint shaker and it wasn't a problem. I will try it on tissue soon.

Derek
dieterperiperi
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »

Ive use 30/70 ezedope/surgical spiril on my Stinson this week and it realy controls the shrinkage. As mentioned in another post- i get the impression that the spirits help spread the ezedope on the tissue.
Lots of potential for flimsy structures here. Mixing doesnt seem to be an issue with that mix
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 70

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2018, 10:06:40 AM »

I did a quick test of light hallmark tissue as compared to esaki tissue using EzeDope.
In this image, red isaki with nitrate dope and green is hallmark with EzeDope. I am satisfied with the results of this product as compared to the traditional. It is my first test, uncut EzeDope. Applied to dry covering.

Your mileage may vary.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Eze Dope Followup

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
BalsaGuy55
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 06:16:03 PM »

I did a quick test of light hallmark tissue as compared to esaki tissue using EzeDope.
In this image, red isaki with nitrate dope and green is hallmark with EzeDope. I am satisfied with the results of this product as compared to the traditional. It is my first test, uncut EzeDope. Applied to dry covering.

Your mileage may vary.

I've had good luck with Hallmark silver tissue and also their light blue.  It is good tissue for applying wet.

Dan
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 08:19:16 AM »

I have not used Ezedope for tissue over mylar but one eporson I know say it will work.  In principal the application of tissue over mylar is to coat the mylar with dope and whilst the dope is till wet  lay et tissue over the doped mylar and it them gets sucked onto the mylar. It can take bit of practice.

So far I have not got on with ezedope but it could well be an age thing ...... and I use diluted pva too stick mylar and polyester tissue to the framework. So a  Philistine perhaps?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: