Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 18, 2019, 12:43:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CF faceplates for Seelig 1/2a timers  (Read 646 times)
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2018, 07:39:48 AM »

Hi all,

I use my Seelig 1/2a timers in my SLOP power models so they get a bit of a workout vibration wise but so far apart from a little bearing wear my biggest problem has been the alloy face plate cracking around the two bolts holding the face plate to the mechanism. The other problem I had with one 1990's rocker style timer was it would not turn off from new so I had to slot the holes in the face plate and move the plunger closer to the rocker so it would operate like it should - this is the middle one in the picture which failed inflight in my Max 111 powered Dixielander ,it still functioned but it sounded like a rattle until the engine cut.
To solve the cracking around the bolt hole problem I made up a 0.4mm CF reinforcing plate to glue behind the standard 1/2a- F1J Seelig face plate which replaces the spacer washers.
To replace the face plate altogether I used two laminations of 0.4 CF epoxied together with larger holes in the rear plate to allow for the heads on the screws used to replace the rivets.
 I was not sure how to fit the original Seelig on/off plunger onto the CF faceplate at first so I made one to suit an old KSB starter arm instead. It then came to me if I made a figure eight slot in the rear plate I could use it to lock the plunger body in place using the original groove and then epoxy the two plates together

Phil

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
CF faceplates for Seelig 1/2a timers
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 08:04:09 AM by Sandgroper » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: