Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 23, 2019, 09:53:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Starduster E36  (Read 542 times)
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 28, 2018, 04:09:03 AM »

I had a R&N Starduster X kit sitting there doing nothing so after an inspiring visit from my flying mates George Carr and Chris Behr the other day I got stuck into it. I built the wing to 36" span with a 6mm carbon fiber spar in place of the balsa main spar. The dihedral joiners are 2mm CF sheet with 2mm balsa each side and sanded as round as possible to fit the tubes.The wing panels are flat except for the right outer which has 1.5mm washout like the Hustler. The tail plane is standard chord but reduced to 15.5 inches span and 71 sq inches area to suit the 234 sq inch wing. I built the Starduster X fuselage for an F1Q  years ago so with a little tarting up I had a ready built fuselage. The motor is A DYS 2206 2000kv turning a Gemfan 7x5 and with a 360 or 460  HK Nanotech battery the all up weight is 215g.

Phil
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Starduster E36
Starduster E36
Starduster E36
Starduster E36
Starduster E36
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:26:49 AM by Sandgroper » Logged
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 08:08:15 AM »

Very clean and neat Phil.

John
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »

Thanks John,

I have been building a few models lately and I think that helps. I have also developed different building methods when using the tubular spars such as assembling the panels with the dihedral keepers and sanding the leading and trailing edge joints in situ with an emery board. Once the ends are sanded joining the panels is just a matter of slapping epoxy where needed, slipping the panels together and securing with a couple of pins or pieces masking tape. I have found Sig Koverall applied with dope is very good for enforcing dihedral joints and for trim tab hinges etc. nice and thin.

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: