Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 20, 2019, 07:05:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Help needed to charge this battery please  (Read 787 times)
dieterperiperi
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 18, 2018, 03:37:03 AM »

Hi all. I was gifted a model from a friend but the battery charger was lost.

It has 3 wire charging plug, same as on li-po. But its a li-ion battery? (See photo)

Will a 2s li-po charger work on this battery or do I go about it in a different way?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Dieter

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Help needed to charge this battery please
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 07:12:08 AM »

It is certainly a 2S Li-po and I don't think you will run into any problems. Do  you have have a charger with 2 connectors - the 3 pin one (balance connector) plus the normal charging lead?

Peter
dieterperiperi
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 09:32:14 AM »

Hi Peter.

Thanks for the reply

(Photo attached)  ”Super Li-Ion Battery”

I don't know much about these things

I might have a two cable charger somewhere... what sort of out put should it have?

I have 2s lipo charger on the way in the post. A cheap £4 one of ebay. But will it work?

Re: Help needed to charge this battery please
mike
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:45:12 AM »

Some chargers have a Li-Ion setting - mine gives a maximum charge voltage of 4.1V per cell for a nominal cell voltage of 3.6V when set to Li-Ion.
Some Li-Ion batteries have higher voltage specifications.  Your Li-Ion battery appears to be the 4.2V, 3.7V per cell type - two cells so 7.4V total.
Since the standard Li-Po cels are 4.2V/3.7V per cell, it may be OK to use a standard Li-Po charger but it would be good to hear from an expert on this.
The white plug on your battery is for a balance connector.  The better chargers will have a balance socket where you can plug this in.  It's there to make sure the two cells are both charged correctly - neither is taken outside its voltage limits during charging.
I believe that the charging current for the 700mAh battery is best kept between 350mA and 700mA.  l'd go with 500mAh a compromise between saving time (higher current) and prolonging the life of the battery (lower current).
dieterperiperi
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 04:56:53 PM »

Thanks for talking the time to explaine Mike.
 I will try the lipo charger when it arrives. Keep an eye on it and charging it in a safe place.

Thanks again

Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 05:25:47 PM »

Hi Dieter

Do you have a link to the ebay charger?
You do have to be a bit careful with charging lipo - if it's not the right thing it could be a potential fire hazard  Shocked

Jon
dieterperiperi
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 07:08:23 AM »

Hi Jon. Heres the link:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/iMaxRC-iMax-B3-Pro-Compact-3S-2S-Lipo-Balance-Battery-Charger-For-RC-Helicopter/112542982568?hash=item1a3415a1a8:m:mMY-Up8z1s4fkOpgyc1eVGA

This battery I have is not a lipo. Or at least thats what it says on the back.

Thanks to everyone for your assistance so far

Rewinged
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 11:07:42 PM »

Take Yak 52's advice to heart.  Lipos can be dangerous.  They don't have to be, but you should read about them, and read some of the horror stories, so that you handle them properly.  I use a fireproof bag when charging, and of course the correct charger.  Even taking care...I had a moderately small Lipo like the one you showed, and I was brain-dead when disconnecting from the charger, and carelessly shorted the charging leads.  Since Lipos can put out pretty good current, I got smoke and smell from the insulation burning.  I quickly got the Lipo out on the concrete patio with the leads no longer shorted, and had no further issue except a wasted battery.

But used carefully, they can be safe.  Read about them, watch for bulging, especially after a crash, and read some more.

--Bill

Good air don't care!
mike
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 04:10:17 AM »

The charger you linked to has no display to let you know what's going on whilst charging or discharging.  Google the name to find other comments on it - there are many - you get what you pay for.
Especially for Rx batteries, I like to know how much charge I've used so that I can keep an eye on the loss of capacity that occurs with age.  I keep a log of charges and discharges and check capacity at least once a year - full discharge and recharge. I use a charger that can be set to do this 'cycling' and display the numbers.  You can also monitor individual cells in an Li type pack during the process.
Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 08:45:21 AM »

First the good news. The charger you have will charge the battery you have. The charge rate is a bit high at 850/700 C which will very slightly reduce the capacity of the battery over time and the number of charge/discharge cycles you will get.

Now the bad news. This charger will not do a storage charge. Storing batteries fully charged will reduce their life, maybe you can live with that. If they drift seriously out of balance this could make the battery useless, that's just the luck of the draw. At the very least you need a cell checker to keep an eye on the total battery output and individual cell output and balance. Cheapie and less cheap but more versatile ones shown. But you still need a method to reliably discharge to storage voltage (3.85 volts is the sweet spot, 3.7-3.85 is OK). For this you need a more capable charger.

AND I concur, read up on these cells. The label on it says 5.2 Wh (Watt Hours). That's not a lot is it? But it is still a potential incendiary bomb. If you fully discharge it in 1 second that's now 36,720 watt seconds (49HP in old money) and a direct short circuit will discharge this beast in less than 1/100th of a second. 4,900 HP, more than two spitfire engines flat out, and that is more than enough to do some damage.

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
lincoln
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 10:14:22 AM »

It's not plausible that a battery that small can put out thousands of amps. The battery has internal resistance, as do the wires and the connector. To discharge it that fast, I think you'd have to smash it, at high speed, with something hard. Maybe a copper plate with many sharp spikes, on the end of a sledgehammer. Operated remotely.

Shorting it out in a more normal way is still dangerous, however. If you're unlucky, it could spit flames. If you're lucky, merely a lot of obnoxious smoke. I'm not sure just how toxic the smoke is. I've seen it outdoors, but I've avoided being downwind of it.

Everyone says these are lipos, but they sure look like lithium ion to me. However, if I'm not mistaken, the chemistry and charging should be the same.
dieterperiperi
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 05:09:39 PM »

An update: sub £5 balance charger arrived from accross the water 10days after order. Plugged in and charged the “super li-ion 7.4v battery to a total of 8.08v (see pics).
The battery didnt get hot during charging and was a realy tiny bit warm to touch when the 2nd cell charging light on the charger went green.
I did it out side in the dry on the paving slabs just incase, and will keepmdoing so just incase.

Next test will be to see how much run time Inget our of the battery

Big thanks to everyone for chipping in with comments and advice

Much appreciated

Dieter
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 05:53:03 PM by dieterperiperi » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: