Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 14, 2019, 03:51:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Consolidated PB2Y-2 Coronado  (Read 6964 times)
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 43

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2018, 09:47:25 AM »

It is indeed a very slow flyer, will be impressive in the air with all this size...

scale free flight & micro RC
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2018, 07:12:11 AM »

That outdoor first flight is fantastic Richard, for such a complex model. What's more it's the first time I've heard an electric model without wincing like I was having a tooth drilled. Not quite the low rumble of four big Wrights or P&Ws perhaps but definitely bearable. Good luck with future flights.

Stephen.
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Kudos: 126

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2018, 04:28:01 PM »

That outdoor first flight is fantastic Richard, for such a complex model. What's more it's the first time I've heard an electric model without wincing like I was having a tooth drilled. Not quite the low rumble of four big Wrights or P&Ws perhaps but definitely bearable. Good luck with future flights.

Stephen.

It's not particularly complex Stephen, the model is quite simplified to keep it light. A bit 'dimescale' really. I agree, some of the geared motors sound awful. I like the Atomic Workshop stuff as the units are easy on the ear. As these are little direct drive units, the only sound you really hear is a resonance/vibration, which I could have cured if 'd balanced the props before I put them on (tricky to get them off now). Graham Banham has a Fike that uses one of these Voodoo 10 motors, and it is impressively silent. Hopefully the model will perform OK at Nijmegen. It's not going to get anywhere in the competition, but if it flies well I'll be chuffed.

Richard Crossley
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: November 07, 2018, 04:56:18 AM »

Your chuff will be richly deserved!
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2018, 06:57:43 AM »

Quote from: Rudder flutter
It's not particularly complex Stephen,
Anything with four engines is complex! I watched a couple of the video clips from Nijmegen that people have kindly uploaded. It looks majestic, esp when it lifts off.

Note taken re. the electric noise thing. I didn't realise that it was avoidable depending on the setup. I'd like to try EDF one day - perhaps a shriek is unavoidable there, but it would kind of fit a jet aeroplane. . .

Stephen.
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 43

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2018, 06:54:23 AM »

Well, surprised noone has mentioned it yet here, but congratulations (on the Internet, as we already talked in Nijmegen) for your win in the electric class in IIFI.

Those last flights were incredible!

I imagine you were happy enough, having won rubber scale as well  Wink

Hope to see you again soon,

George

scale free flight & micro RC
Rudder flutter
Silver Member

Kudos: 126

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2018, 04:44:35 PM »

Thank you George.
I was amazed that the model won. This was entirely due to an impressive flight score - static score was fairly 'average', as I thought it would be. I was encouraged by the flight scores generally at Nijmegen, some of the top places were taken by accurate, but structurally simplified models, that flew nicely due to being light.

I flew the Coronado after the event had finished, and managed to hit the ceiling. Weirdly it popped a party balloon that was lodged in the ceiling structure, and was full of confetti!
(thanks to Gustaf Enebog for the super photo)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Consolidated PB2Y-2 Coronado

Richard Crossley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: