Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 25, 2019, 11:04:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: old school towline A2  (Read 719 times)
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

United States United States

Topic starter
nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2018, 11:44:54 AM »

Can anyone recommend the best way to rig up a auto-rudder and D/T timer for a fixed tow-hook? I'm going to use a Texas Timer D/T and simple auto-rudder. A piece of thick mono will slide in the hole of the timer to stop the gears until launch. I've thought about a simple ring that slides onto the 1/16" diameter wire tow-hook for the auto rudder but I'm wondering if there is a better way to do this. Any thoughts out there?
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 12:37:44 PM »

And while at it, how does one attach the flag to the tow-line?
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 03:04:16 PM »

yah...that is a good question too....
ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 04:25:21 PM »

I'll post some pics later today-I'm just about to head away to the field for Day 3 of the NZ North Island FF Champs. A/R and timer start setup is easy...as you'll see later. I cannot recommend jammin g the timer works with mono filament though-there is always a chance of a snag or damage breaking off the mono-or a piece of it. Most of us use a sprung 'ON' set up, pulled to 'off' while the towline is attached. As for the flag-I use several variations-the easiest being doubled sided sellotape-in other words the flag is 'hemmed' around the towline by being folded over its full length (perhaps 3/8"-1/2" total overlap, with a piece of DS tape in between and the towline trapped inside. This is pressed/ironed down flat for a good bond. A variation is to use some teflon or fine plastic tubing to do the same trick-then thread the towline thru the tube, and set the position with a knot above and below the piece of tubing and flag.

The crudest method-is simply to tie the flag on to the towline by one corner-no prizes for aesthetics....but it works!

ChrisM
 'ffkiwi'
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 278

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 07:05:50 PM »

>   I cannot recommend jamming the timer works with mono filament though-there is always a chance of a snag or damage breaking off the mono-or a piece of it.

Chris, I've used this simple system since I bought a DT timer when such first became available.  1960s?   Never experienced any trouble.
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 10:48:27 PM »

Look at the Texas Timers site under the Helpful Hints section.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 11:36:30 PM »

>   I cannot recommend jamming the timer works with mono filament though-there is always a chance of a snag or damage breaking off the mono-or a piece of it.

Chris, I've used this simple system since I bought a DT timer when such first became available.  1960s?   Never experienced any trouble.

I also did that stop the timer thing on A2s and A1s for years......Seemed to work okay for me.    KISS principle I guess.
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2018, 09:34:56 AM »

Thanks guys...it seems I'm on the right track so far...the wing panels are almost finished and getting ready to assemble the fuselage today and cover the stab...is 50 lb. mono good enough for the towline?...30?...40?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: