Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 19, 2019, 11:56:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 197932 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 177

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1125 on: July 01, 2019, 09:06:41 PM »

You just can't trust the wind! Bad luck Mike - hope it will be "Fardelled' quickly.

Good luck with your new models Jose.

john
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1126 on: July 03, 2019, 06:13:54 AM »

Ouch

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1127 on: July 04, 2019, 08:01:17 AM »

Man-O-Man, did I have a great day Wawayanda (New York) yesterday!

I got up very early and drove the 2 hours, as the weather was forecast to be hot, but the winds light and variable all day. I had lots of airplanes to test fly, so I wanted to get started early. I got to the field about 7:15 and it was glorious (Pic #1) No wind and this early, still relativity cool (71F)

I had three rubber ships to test, so I started with my "new" Andread Frankinplane (Pic #2) This is an old Winterhawk fuselage and wing, but I added diagonal ribs to the wing, improvised a new Vertical and Horizontal Stab and used an old FAI Models "Tini Torque Montreal stop front end. I also carved the prop blades using a Bob White pattern. I have a Dan Kennedy E-Timer in the pylon for DT. The airplanes pretty much flew off the board, with almost no adjustments needed. It flys well. I'm sure it won't beat the new CF store-bought coupes out there, but it will be fun to fly. I'll be flying in the Andread event at the US Nats this year.

After flying the Andread a few times, I then put together my new Dyna-Moe. (Pic #3) This was the second outing for this ship, and with the exception of a little left and down-thrust, this test was to see how the airplane behaved with close to contest power. The airplane flew very well indeed. I don't know if this is typical of Dyna-Moes, but the airplane seems to really get in a "groove", especially under power. Very smooth climbing right turn, and transitions very cleanly right into a right glide. I'll be flying this one in OT Rubber Cabin at the Nats.

About this time, I had a pleasant surprise. Tom Hallman (maxflyart on Youtube) showed up and he started testing a new ship, a large scale Babcock Taubman (pic #4) What an artist this guy is. And his Babcock is nothing short of spectacular. He said he was getting it ready for the FAC Non-Nats. It was nice having someone else out there to talk to.

I put the Dyna-Moe away after a few flights, and took out my new Gollywok (Pic #5) Like the Dynamoe, this was not the first time out, but the first time at contest power, and also like the Dyna-Moe, it pretty much flew off the board. The Gollywok is almost scary how well it flys. This one will be flown in OT Rubber Stick.

A few flights with the Gollywok, and it was time to start working with the electrics. I had my two new F1Q's one is a converted Tilka and the other is a Tilka fuselage and stab, but a Tubesteak III wing. Both airplanes flew very well, and at max effort, they really get the altitude.

I then started with a new Sandy Pimenoff #18. This was my only glitch for the day. On the third flight, with a short motor run, the airplane "came over the top" and I heard a "crack" as the airplane pulled out of the dive. And, yes, the spruce spar cracked just outside of the dihedral brace.  Ah, well, I'll be fixing that today. This airplane will be flown in ABC E Nos at the Nats.

All in all, I had a great day flying, and the only wind was from the thermals . I really enjoyed watching Tom trim his airplane. I left about 1:30 in the afternoon, tired and sweaty, but very happy with the day.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1128 on: July 04, 2019, 02:06:29 PM »

A short, fun,  session with Abl putting No. 5's new noseblock through its paces yesterday afternoon along at the Aerodrome.  

Good news/bad news.

Good news; with lots of help from both Jack Plane & Abl No. 5 is pretty much trimmed.

Bad news; the new noseblock still doesn't have quite enough downthrust.  So there's a 1/16" wedge in. Chiz, chiz.  Steps are in hand to rectify this.

Video of the last flight here.  You might want to ask the Vicar to go and make a pot of tea when you play this cos Abl says a bad word.

Motor is 4 strands of 3/32" x 14" 600 turns (80% is ~ 840)
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1129 on: July 05, 2019, 03:36:30 AM »

Excellent (mostly) news Lurk - sorry I couldn't make it.

With the fine weather due to continue, I look forward with much anticipation to the results of final tests at the full 80%.

Smiley
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1130 on: July 05, 2019, 10:03:38 AM »

Certainly looks like you had a great day, Starduster  Smiley
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1131 on: July 05, 2019, 11:08:22 AM »

Certainly looks like you had a great day, Starduster  Smiley

Yes, a lot of fun, and for a treat, click on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7tvndwUR9o&t=0s

cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #1132 on: July 05, 2019, 04:41:01 PM »

That is a wonderful video.
Ron
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #1133 on: July 05, 2019, 04:41:25 PM »

Loved the video.  When I first saw the picture on your earlier post I thought it was a Folkerts racer.  Really nice.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1134 on: July 06, 2019, 01:58:04 AM »

That is a wonderful video.
Agree wholeheartedly. And how did you get such controlled landings?  Jealous?  Me?  Naahhh. Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 121

Ignore
« Reply #1135 on: July 06, 2019, 02:21:57 AM »

Ditto from me! I really like the music too.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #1136 on: July 06, 2019, 04:10:04 AM »

Astonishing When you imagine a perfect flight, it´s like that. And such a slow airscrew rpm too.
Is the pilot en route mid-Atlantic from the Dave Banks training school?
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1137 on: July 06, 2019, 05:28:18 AM »

Someday all model aeroplanes will fly this way
Starduster
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #1138 on: July 06, 2019, 06:49:46 AM »

I think I need to make a clarification:

That video is not mine, and the airplane is not mine, I just had the pleasure of flying with 'Maxflyart' that day. I can only aspire to that level!

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1139 on: July 06, 2019, 08:09:21 AM »

I follow Maxfliart on YouTube, so understand.
Hadn't watched this one though, so many thanks!  Smiley

Just need to check ... you do have some kind of magical model supporting medium out there? .... not just "air" like we have?!  Smiley
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1140 on: July 06, 2019, 08:25:06 PM »

Beautiful video. Tom truly is an artist!

John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1141 on: July 07, 2019, 05:41:12 PM »

Finally got MrsLurker's Freebird aloft just before 9pm this evening.  Flew straight off the board, no trimming other than tweaking the tail up a touch as advised in the build notes. We're both rather pleased and I am not a little relieved into the bargain.  Smiley

I've got two or three better videos than the one I've uploaded but I am forbidden from uploading those because MrsL is the pilot.  The one that I have uploaded is a bit jerky because I've used VLC to strip the sound track and convert from an AVI container to MP4.  It looks as though VLC has dumped 2 or 3 seconds in the conversion.  Hey ho.

About 60 to 70 turns. https://vimeo.com/346750748

Tried a couple of flights at 80+ turns (current motor is rated for 100 max) and got the better part of a complete circuit.  With a new, lubed, motor on at 150 to 200 turns I think it'll be a nice little calm evening flier.  

Some pretty grainy stills from the other flights.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 05:52:45 PM by TheLurker » Logged
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #1142 on: July 07, 2019, 07:50:18 PM »

Ornithopters are really fascinating, I think.  I used to have two - one was a 'Freebird' - forget the name of the other one.  Used to fly them at Long Eaton (Nottingham) club nights, in a church hall.  At least one of them got 'smashed', whilst still in my hand, by a young lad, in the beer hanger, at the Nats. one year, who seemed to have deliberately thrown his RTF foam hand launch glider right at me.  I think that was the same year that Marcus Brigstocke was there filming, for a documentary series for BBC (four?).  One of my two models featured, for only a second, or two.  My 'claim to fame'. Smiley

Cheers,

Jez wilkins         
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1143 on: July 07, 2019, 09:21:02 PM »

Did you need all those tools to tweak it's tail Lurk?

John
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1144 on: July 08, 2019, 02:59:49 AM »

Yes. Smiley

One pair of pliers to hold the tail wire and one to bend it.  Not enough room for fingers (and thumbs) over the length of the tail wire and the struts aren't beefy enough to take the bending stress.
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #1145 on: July 08, 2019, 03:25:53 AM »

Fascinating. Reminds me of one of the first copies of Aeromodeller that I ever acquired, which was the February 1972 issue with an indoor ornithopter on the cover. I remember trying to work out how it could possibly work...  Smiley

A.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #1146 on: July 08, 2019, 03:31:09 AM »

There was a plan in a late 60s AM called Flutterby, which I built. It flew over the neighbour's fence and landed in their pond but I was impressed
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1147 on: July 08, 2019, 04:37:49 AM »

There was a plan in a late 60s AM called Flutterby, which I built. It flew over the neighbour's fence and landed in their pond but I was impressed
  Yeah! I built one as well, it did fly OK but I don't think it made it over the neighbour's fence  Grin
TheLurker
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #1148 on: July 08, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »

More experiments this evening with my VMC Osprey.

Briefly;  12 or 13 paces in light winds (<10mph) on a bungee (8m 1/16" rubber, 9m line) using a forward hook (see pic) gives flights between 14s and 15s.  Flights are stable and it sits very nicely in the air.  Mine needs a shim under the TE to stop it looping off the line.

My build is fairly portly at 25.17g a good fraction* of which is ballast so I reckon a much better performance than that is possible if you pay even moderate attention to knocking some weight out of the tail.

Lurk.

*It's a couple of years old now and can I find my notes?  Can I cocoa.  However I do remember thinking it was quite a lot.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1149 on: July 08, 2019, 07:45:57 PM »

Good way to spend time outside Lurk.

Richard - Lastwoodsman - had a good run with his "flappers".

John
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: