Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2019, 10:07:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Ryan ST-a R/C conversion from a Herr kit  (Read 661 times)
Keith S
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2018, 08:02:44 PM »

Hi guys, here we have the Herr kit of the Ryan S-T-a converted to electric radio control. Originally I was going to do an ultra-light job with the fuselage per the plans but when I learned the history of he Ryan ST, being a very early example of a small plane with monocoque construction, I decided to sheet over the fuselage for a more realistic look. I left the wings and tail tissue-covered to represent the fabric covering of the original. The wing centre section I covered out to the struts with silver tissue to represent the metal covering on this part of the real one.

I was nervous about this project because it was my first r/c treatment of a rubber kit, and I was sure it would be too heavy. As a result of this pessimism, I gradually lost interest and it took me a couple of years of poking away bit by bit to get it finished. As I got near the end, I became more optimistic. The wooden skin is sealed with several layers of dope and sprayed silver, and it has the scale struts and rigging. The landing gear has piano wire embedded in it for added strength and springy-ness.

It turns out to be a great little flyer. I balanced it at 25% and it could use less weight in the nose, but it flies so nicely I am not going to change it. The top cowl is cut in the scale location and attached with magnets, and the battery goes under there behind the motor.

I am very pleased with how it turned out. It flies as though it's on an invisible track, even in the wind, and with its streamlined shape it's a zippy little plane. If anyone is looking for a cool project, I recommend this one. It can easily take the weight of a fully skinned fuselage for a great solid look. It has no plastic parts; everything is carved and hollowed out and sanded, which although time consuming, ends up looking nicer in the end.

Do please choose "HD" to watch it, and forgive the rather solid landing at the end. The surface was bumpy and I had to put her down before the big bump.

https://youtu.be/zNJKxfXEBew
Tiki2go
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 11:56:51 AM »

Waaay cool.  Cool

Congratulations on a great project. Could you post a few photos?

Thanks!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 12:55:18 AM »

Very, very neat. Thanks for posting.

John
Rotatorus
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 03:54:55 PM »

Beautifull plane! She really floats around as if she has no weight.

Robert
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: