Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2019, 07:45:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: AIR CAMPER 18" Dumas kit # 231 Flight Reports  (Read 2435 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 06:16:47 PM »

AIR CAMPER       18 INCH       CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE

Mandrake and Bloodroot,  Cyber Super Soldiers from the future, get yet another maintenance contract at the Hangar.
      Bloodroot:  "Yeah Drake, this Aircamper hasn't flown for over a year.   Where do you want it ?"
      Mandrake:   "Just set it down anywhere over there Blood.    They want brand new motors made, and they have this brand new plastic prop from China for us to install.    We may have to do some bench testing and timing of  3/16"  and  1/8"  motors in the table stooge, before heading out to the Cricket Field."

Pic #1     2543     Bloodroot carries   Shocked  in the Air Camper.
Pic #2     2548     The other plastic props.
Pic #3     2557     Comparison of the old and new prop.   Notice that the Air Camper already has a big "stab tilt".  
Pic #4     2560     Mandrake and Bloodroot break out the rubber.
Pic #5     2563     Bloodroot checks the noseblock fit.
Pic #6     2566     The old red prop weighs  4.17 grams.   The new orange prop weighs  4.02 grams.   The orange prop has a thicker hub and a higher freewheel ramp (?).   Notice the big chip missing from the tip of the red prop - it hit the concrete curbs under the Spit and Hurri.  
     Mandrake exclaims  "Hey Blood - the orange color matches!!"   Grin

LASTOWWDSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: AIR CAMPER 18" Dumas kit # 231 Flight Reports

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 11:48:37 AM »

New Prop, New Stab, tissue on Rudder

Pic #1     2576     Mandrake and Bloodroot knot up two  1/8" motors, and one  3/16" motor -  all  10 1/2"  long. prop hook to rear peg is  6 3/4".
Pic #2     2577     This shows the weights of the motors and the small and medium Crocket hooks.
Pic #3     2580     M and B tie off the ends with string -  screen pic is the Air Camper.
Pic #4     2582     Three completed motors.  Golden Eagle on screen.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 11:54:22 AM »

AIR CAMPER      18 INCH       CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE

Pic #1     2583     Mandrake attaches the nose block and prop to the rubber motor.   Motor length is  1 1/2  times the prop hook to rear peg.
Pic #2     2585     Now I remember, the rear stab was broken also.  The tissue on the rudder also needs fixin'. I was being lazy.   Water with a brush finally dissolved the glue joints.   
Pic #3     2592     Good progress on the new stab.
Pic #4     2594     More progress on the stab, and some new tissue on the rudder which is also pinned flat.   Three new trim tabs, made from    0.011"  thick file folder cardboard paper, are painted orange with felt marker.   Make sure the bend in the tab goes with the grain.  There are still four "odd angle" gussets to go in the stab.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 05:26:24 PM »

AIR CAMPER       18 INCH      CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE

Some more progress.

Pic #1     2595     Mandrake and Bloodroot carefluly sand both sides of the new stab, usilng 220 grit sandpaper.
Pic #2     2603     Barebones stab weighs  0.71  grams.   Ornage trim tabs are in positon.
Pic #3     2601     Bloodroot sands the corners while Mandrake  sands a rounded profile on the leading edge.
Pic #4     2596     Mock up shot.
Pic #5     2608     Bloodroot holds the new tissue panel for the rudder, and Bloodroot cuts out two panels for the stabilizer.
Pic #6     2611     The tissue is white glued (thinned), and everything is pinned flat now to dry.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »

AIR CAMPER      18 INCH       CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE

More progress:

Pic #1     2621     The tissue has been white glued to all stringers and frames.
Pic #2     2622     Here the tissue is saggy and wet after being spray misted with water, and is all pined down to dry.
Pic #3     2624     Now it has dried.
Pic #4     2626     Mandrake wets the tissue with water from a small brush, and then easily scrapes the tissue off in a strip where the bottom of the fin glues on.
pic #5     2627     And he also does the other side of the stab where it mates with the fuse longeron stringers.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont on next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2019, 11:45:38 AM »

AIR CAMPER       18 INCH       CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE
cont from prev reply

Pic #1     2629     Here the new trim tabs are scotch taped on.
Pic #2     2630     Finished weight of stab including glue and tissue is  1.18 grams  -  minus the bare balsa stab bones  0.71 grams  =   0.47 grams of tissue and glue ...
Pic #3     2631     M & B tie down the fuse with rubber bands on a makeshift jig, to hold it steady while gluing on the stab.
Pic #4     2632     After a lot of testing and fitting and sanding ( I really butchered the stab and rudder removal ),  here is the view from behind, with the stab all glued up,  and held in place with an eraser and coins.  The trim tabs are on.
Pic #5     2633     It looks sort of straight.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

mWang12324161
Copper Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

8th grader from North Carolina interested in F1N.

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2019, 06:52:28 PM »

nice

--
Max Wang
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2019, 08:08:27 PM »

Thin shims of balsa can be tacked into place under the TE or LE of the stab using spots of Duco or Sigment, which can be easily softened/removed with acetone. Your trim settings won't get easily knocked out of position the way they will with paper tabs. A stab that mounts on top of the longerons only needs 3 spots of glue to hold it (securely)in place. The vertical fin can be mounted in a similar manner. Multiple paper tabs taped on add a significant amount of tailweight, which then has to be offset with even more noseweight.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 08:33:07 PM by Indoorflyer » Logged

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2019, 07:15:43 AM »

Hi Indoorflyer.    "Three new trim tabs, are made from   0.011"  thick file folder cardboard paper."   They are stiff enough to hold the bend you put in them, and you don't have to glue on anything - just bend them a little.   I am a big fan of these trim tabs.  They only weigh  about   0.04 grams each,  so not much weight addition at  0.12  grams.  I typed in "Gurney strip" into the search bar and all I got was "Your search query didn't return any matches."  We obviously need another search engine.   I do not understand Gurney strips, where they are applied and/or how they work.  Pictures would really help too.   I am still really just learning to trim out models.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2019, 07:27:16 AM »

AIR CAMPER       18 INCH      CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE

Pic #1     2655     Pic of the glued stab from the rear.
Pic #2     2657     Top view
Pic #3     2658     We woke up at dawn yesterday and glued the fin/rudder on, ready for test trimming flights in the afternoon (yes we did get out). 
Pic #4     2659     Ready for trim flights.
Pic #5     2660     RH side morning sun pic outside.
Pic #6     2661     LH side morning sun pic outside.   Ready to Fly !!

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2019, 08:51:11 AM »

Hi Richard--wasn't referring to Gurney strips, but simply a spacer, or "packing" as it is often called. A thin shim would be placed between the TE (for example) and the longeron to change the incidence of the tailplane. A small deflection or incidence change of the entire stab is more efficient than large bends in smaller area tabs. (Comparing area of tabs to area of entire stab)

.12g at a moment arm distance of 8 inches (for example) aft of the CG would require a counterbalance of 4 x .12g at 2" (at the nose). Thus the total weight of adding "tabs" is .48 + .12, or .6g! My "indoor" mindset says this is not a clean way of making a trim adjustment.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:19:07 AM by Indoorflyer » Logged

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2019, 10:50:37 AM »

It's a good discussion Indoorflyer.   It seems that on small models, that use full elevator movement, it is easy to overcompensate with the slightest adjustment, especially if the elevator is connected to the stabilizer with thin bendable wires.   That was my experience in ending the extremely short career of my 22" BE2e.   That is when I got the tip to use just a small trim tab to bend, and not the whole area of the elevator to bend.  
     I think I have a good angle of attack positive incidence on the parasol wing, compared to the stab glued at zero incidence, on the Air Camper.  I have used these trim tabs on the stab, by bending one up and the other down, to increase or decrease the circle path of flight.   I have never tried both tabs bent up, or both tabs bent down,  yet.   I also have downthrust on the nose block too.  So, I basically use those trim tabs to make the plane go more right or more left.
     I have av  18" Albatross D5 bones completed, and in this D5,  I have already incorporated the stab setup exactly as you have in your pic above, with only the front of the stab glued down (bending the stab up does not break the glue, yet exerts the downward force to hold the "spacer/packing" in place), so I will be trying that one soon.    Wink

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2019, 10:46:21 PM »

AIR CAMPER      18 INCH       CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE

Test Glides and Trimming    EARLY AFT   Thur July 24 2019

Motor =  4 strands  1/8"  six inches long  (prop hook to rear peg = 6.5").   I knew the motor was going to be twice as strong as the two strand motor, but I wanted to try it with hand winds first, and see how it flies with the new rear end and new prop.  
     It flew wildly in extremely tight spiral diving right hand circles.  Then I put a little bit of clay on the left wingtip, and a little left rudder tab, and that seemed to straighten it out to a slight left turn.  So I did a whole bunch of flights, about 6 or seven seconds max.  The pics show the steep angle of attack of the glide into the ground.  When you point it up and launch it, it zooms out there really fast, and runs out the rubber while very high,  and falls to earth at too steep an angle.   But at least I got it trimmed out a little bit.  This was before I put the regular two strand 1/8" motor, six inches long, back in on Friday Aug 3 2019 yesterday,  which resulted in nice slow flights that I had already posted in "What did you do airplane wise today?", Reply #1622, here,  https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=22419.1600

Pic #1     2662     Walk out through Jackson Park to the Cricket Field with the new "orange" Air Camper color and orange prop.
Pic #2     2663     A white female flightless Gypsy Moth has just laid her egg cluster covered with poisonous brown hair from her abdomen.
Pic #3     2665     Flying above and to the left of the grassmower.
Pic #4     2666     Turning right.
Pic #5     2668     Heading down.
Pic #6     2670     Way up high - soon to run out of rubber winds ...  Undecided

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont on next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2019, 10:52:08 PM »

AIR CAMPER     18 INCH       CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE
cont from prev reply

Test Glides and Trimming    EARLY AFT   Thur July 24 2019

The green grass leaves, of Jackson Park, are being cut off short down to yellow and tan dormant grass, and the ground is dried out and hard.  There are not many days of green grass left with this extended heat wave and drought.

Pic #1      2673     Last of the high grass.   Grass mower in behind.
Pic #2      2676     Here is the BAD GLIDE ANGLE.   Shocked   Almost straight down.
pic #3      2677     Time to go, Trapper.
Pic #4      2678     Gypsy moths - with fallen dead ones, spent and laying on the ground.
Pic #5      2679     More Gypsy moths.
Pic #6      2682     And even more -  100 to  1000 eggs in each brown, hair-covered, egg cluster mass.

After all of the above, I put in a new  10",  two strand,  1/8" motor ( prop hook to rear peg  =  6 3/4"  ),  and it is now ready for the winding stooge.   It looks like tomorrow morning the wind will be good for flying, so hopefully the Cricket boys will not start too early ...   Huh

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
The end of Test glides and Trimming  Thur July 24 2019

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 65

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2019, 09:14:46 AM »

Good to see you enjoying yourself again ... I think the longer strand length will be a good move  Smiley
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2019, 01:52:53 PM »

How would you do a new Speedster after all that rough housing with the last one?

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2019, 09:01:53 PM »

Re the glide angle Richard - is your prop freewheeling? The longer motor may help but perhaps a tube in tube system for the prop will help as it takes the tension off the prop when the motor is run down.

Just use the 2 tubes in the prop - the secret being the extra length of the tube fitted to the shaft, which enables the prop to "float". Courtesy of John Barker.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2019, 03:54:32 PM »

Hi Crabby.  I have been looking at other Golden Age High Wing monoplanes in the 30" range, to choose from,  so I will use some modifications learned from the 30" Rearwin Speedster.  I have compiled a long list of 30" and near 30" kits to choose from, from different manufacturers (I might post this list if anyone is interested - please send me a Personal Message).

Hi John.   I don't really know if the prop is freewheeling, but I think it is freewheeling with a loose motor that is longer than the prop hook to rear peg.   Using this long motor, as follows, in the Sunday Aug 4 2019 Flight Report, it is flying level, but when it starts to slow with this new 10" motor, the plane goes down slow and hits the ground with very weak turns left on the rubber motor,  quite unlike the almost straight down glide from way high up with no turns left on the  6 1/2"  motor.   Thanks for that good diagram from John Barker.   I will attempt those tubes later, with my new flying wood props from Volare.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:12:14 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2019, 04:18:03 PM »

AIR CAMPER      18 INCH      CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE
FLIGHT REPORT           Sunday August 4 2019

SEVEN FLIGHTS      Longest Flight   33  seconds.

This is the first real test of the new prop with stretch winding and a stooge.     The weather at  1:15 PM was  81 deg F (feels like 93 deg F),  winds blowing form the  East at  11mph, gusting to  11 mph,  62 %  humidity.    Motor is a 10" two strand 1/8" rubber, prop hook to rear peg is  6 3/4".

Pic #1     2724     The tailplane is totally orange now.   Behind that fence is the Baseball Field I flew in.  
Pic #2     2725     Here I am in the field.   There is slight wind breeze.  I will be launching from beside that fence and towards me, down wind.  There is tissue damage from the broken motor, and the missing rear leg of the left landing gear broke while I was finger winding in 300 turns of the rubber motor.
Pic #3     2726     First Flight.   600 winds  7 seconds,  low and left and away from the packed gravel of the "infield diamond",   just right.  Smiley
Pic #4     2727     Here is the long Second Flight.  750 winds, 20 seconds, a perfect "question mark" shaped flight.
Pic #5     2728     Landing of Flight #2.     I launched it from up by that fence.
Pic #6     2729     Third Flight     900 winds,  30 seconds !!   Clouds are blocking out the sun.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont on next reply
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 04:35:58 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2019, 04:28:32 PM »

cont from prev reply

Pic #1     2730     Here is how it landed, left to right, on the bicycle lane of asphalt pavement.
Pic #2     2731     It came right over that fence   Undecided  , and through the trees    Tongue.
Pic #3     2732     One little bounce on landing - and no damage!!   Grin Grin
Pic #4     2733     My winding stooge.   That truck is driving right over the spot   Shocked  where the plane landed.   The Sky Gods were smiling on me there ...   Roll Eyes
Pic #5     2734     The only way to survive in this heat in the open (too hot for Trapper),  is with two big jugs of COLD water out of the fridge ...
Pic #6     2735     Flight #4    900 winds  14 seconds.   Circling left and coming closer.    

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont on next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2019, 04:34:14 PM »

AIR CAMPER       18 INCH       CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE
cont from prev reply

Pic #1     2736     Down for a soft landing.
Pic #2     2737     Pic of the spinning orange prop wash.   The two green masking tape strips hold the nose block in (the fit is sort of loose).   Works better than clear Scotch tape in this heat.
Pic #3     2738     Flight #5    900 winds   30 seconds.
Pic #4     2739     Flight #6     1050 winds   20 seconds.  Coming in close for a landing, and it spit out the prop nose block right on landing.
Pic #5     2740    Flight #7     LONGEST FLIGHT  of the day with threatening clouds.    900 winds  33 seconds,  on a high launch!
Pic #6     2741     Coming down on final in the sun.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont on next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2019, 04:39:31 PM »

AIR CAMPER       18 INCH      CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE
cont from prev reply

Pic #1     2742     And Flight #7 landing very  close to the fence, and right near where I launched it from.
Pic #2     2743     Gypsy Moths laying their egg masses.
Pic #3     2713     They are everywhere ....  I "moved" one over to see the abdomen laying eggs.  

Now it is too hot, and a long walk back, so it is time to end this flying session on a good note ...

Back home at  3:30 PM   The weather was   82 deg F (real feel 95 deg F),  winds blowing at zero mph sand gusting to zero mph  -  but there was breeze for sure in that baseball field ...

Well,  the new prop worked pretty good, and the Air Camper flies again, even while wounded ...  Cheesy Cheesy 

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
The end of the  Flight Report   of   Sunday August 4 2019

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2019, 02:20:03 AM »

It's flying well Richard. That's a great shot at height under the threatening clouds!

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2019, 08:59:52 PM »

Hi John.  The Aircamper is flying just right, nice and slow, and a full circle left flight, and the landings are soft and running out the rubber, and the model then tails off a little bit to the right when it runs down the rubber.   At least now I have two models trimmed out and ready to fly whenever I get the urge   Grin , and when conditions are right  -   the 17" Bluebird Ornithopter and the 18" Air Camper.    Now, for more thinking ...   Undecided   like maybe a longer motor .... or add a third strand to the motor ...   Smiley

Get outside and fly ...  Cheesy

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2019, 05:12:34 PM »

AIR CAMPER       18 INCH     CALLED UP TO THE FLIGHT LINE
TEST FLIGHTS WITH A THREE STRAND RUBBER MOTOR   WED AUGUST 7 2019

I looked on the weather net, and there was no wind !!    Grin     I decided to make a new motor and take out the Air Camper for some test flights, all finger wound, and see if it flew faster and longer.
     The prop hook to rear peg is  6 3/4".   I made a new motor six inches long, so I could just use some finger winds.    A six inch motor of four strands of  1/8"  was too strong ( five sec flight ),  and a six inch motor of two strands of  1/8"  flew very well, nice and  slow for 15 seconds, on 300 finger winds.   I thought I would add one strand of  3/32"  rubber to two strands of  1/8" rubber, and see how that would fly with finger winds.

Weather -   11:45 AM   and away we went to the Cricket field.  81 deg F (91),    winds blowing  from the NorthEast at  4mph, gusting to 6  mph,  58% humidity.

First Flight  150 finger winds, a viscious RH circle, to my surprise, right into the lower branch ends of the right Spuce near the bottom, but bounced off OK.   I forgot that about that loose nose block, so I green masking taped it up for the next flight.

Second Flight    150 winds (which is pretty tight), and a good 10 second flight,  with a slight left turn now, and a nice glide to a soft landing,  on very nice grass that is not cut yet ...

Third Flight     170 winds (very very tight),   and an  11  second flight this time, same as above.

Fourth Flight    170 winds,   and I started to walk to the launch spot, when "POW!", the rubber broke ...  the Weather when we got home  at  1:05 PM was 79 deg F (90 deg F),  winds blowing from the SouthWest at  4 mph  gusting to  6 mph,  61%  humidity.

Pic #1     2744     Walk out.   No wind on the flag.
Pic #2     2745     Really good grass - still not cut - but when they do, it will be the dormant under layer showing.
Pic #3     2746     First Flight   150 winds  -  a wild right hand turn into the Spruce on the right.
Pic #4     2747     Second Flight    150 winds,   10 seconds    Calm before the storm?   Bad pic, but it is actually flying out there -  in the treetop just left and above, the yellow saw horse.
Pic #5     2748     Third Flight     170 winds,  11 seconds    This one is just coming down into the trees to the left of the night lights.   Big Dump Trucks are coming in and out of the park now, looking for small balsa wood models   Huh  (they are paving the roads and parking lot and building a new lunch room and a new washroom), so look out ...
Pic #6     2749     Fourth Flight    170 winds, zero seconds LOL   Shocked  Broken rubber motor all bunched up in the rear fuse.   Undecided

Looks like I have to fix the tissue tears now ... more thinking ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: