Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 17, 2019, 11:39:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Went flying.  (Read 200572 times)
bsadonkill
Bronze Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1150 on: August 19, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »

This is a Howard Littman Double Trouble model. I am using 4 strands of 1/8th that came with the kit. The motor came out a little short for the size prop, a little to much power.  I gave it 1/32th of down right hand thrust along with some shims under the trailing edge of the upper wing. I took it up to around 400 prop turns, it wanted to go vertical on power. It has a real nice glide. I think i will make a longer motor too reduce power, considering it's a sport model.  Wink 
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Went flying.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #1151 on: August 19, 2019, 04:48:42 PM »

Nice looking Double T! 

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #1152 on: August 24, 2019, 09:46:39 PM »

Earlier this week FlyAce1946 and I arranged to go flying this morning at our usual field.  Yesterday afternoon my soon-to-be 10 year old son asked if he could go with us.  He's fooled around with models a bit but has been much more interested in Legos.  I jumped at the chance and we spent a great morning out.  Highlight for him was getting some good ROG flights with a red-propped balsa thrush (AKA Guillows Strato-Streak).  He happily flew and chased for almost four hours as the temps climbed into the 90s.

Video at:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJDl-NiZbIM

Mike
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #1153 on: August 24, 2019, 09:56:03 PM »

Mike he really added a lot of energy out there today. He was really very helpful more than a few times. Sure liked his willingness to LISTEN and LEARN. Great day flying Alex. Come back when ever the mood strikes.
dputt7
Platinum Member

Kudos: 90

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1154 on: August 25, 2019, 05:08:15 AM »

Great video, not sure who had the most fun! The R.O.G. shot looks like it's straight out of a competition report in Aeromodeller.
Slow.Lizard
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1155 on: August 25, 2019, 06:11:58 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Together with great help of Gman I've successfully trimmed my first F1G model. We've enjoyed unusually non-english but beautiful weather in North Luffenham.

Edit: slightly better flight photo.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1156 on: August 31, 2019, 02:57:29 AM »

It brought a smile to my face to see all that joyful enthusiasm and energy. Thanks for that Mike. The last ROG was a beauty.

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #1157 on: August 31, 2019, 03:27:29 PM »

A super day at Peterborough Flying Aces. Breezy and gusty, but fun as ever. Thanks to all for organising, especially Russ who judged all the scale flights single handedly. A gallant effort on a long day.
Didn't take  any pics (too busy flying) but am sure there'll be lots on the Peterborough site shortly. Provisional results are there already! http://www.peterboroughmfc.org/results/2019FlyingAcesRes.htm

Russ, it does say there may be corrections, so I expect all will become clear (and I know you weren't involved in allocating the final placings) but I'll be quite interested to know if the Kt Scale results currently on the website are more correct than the ones announced at the prize giving. Basically I was either nowhere or joint second! (But either will be fine!  Cheesy)
EDIT: looks like the results were posted before they were all in, so I think the ones at the prize giving were right. No worries then.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 05:14:46 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 67

Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #1158 on: August 31, 2019, 03:39:05 PM »

Good to see you Pete. Nice to see the Agricola going so well, especially the last flight Smiley
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1159 on: August 31, 2019, 05:16:36 PM »

Really enjoyed meeting up with everyone today ... the wind could have been lighter, but I thought that the turn out and numbers flying were great considering.
I made a couple of goof ups .... wouldn't be me else! I don't think the results were too affected though.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1160 on: August 31, 2019, 05:20:33 PM »

Cheers Jon. Good to see you too, and congrats on your E20 win!  Vintagemike- nice to meet you as well and put another face to a forum name.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1161 on: September 01, 2019, 01:21:07 PM »

I got in one flight with the Comte at Ferry Meadows yesterday, but with the gusty wind it seemed too risky to keep flying it. So after that I switched to my tattier models; namely my Agricola and a Guillow Fairchild for kit scale. This was my first Fairchild and having been flown almost to death over 7 years (including a particularly destructive escapade in the nats pylon race a couple of years ago) the fuselage was now mostly made of glue, every other stringer was cracked and the wings were held on with Sellotape. Even so, it put in some respectable flights. In the end though it decided it had finally had enough abuse and gave up the ghost. It came home in the state pictured. As I’ve still got two more Guillow’s Fairchilds in good flying order, this time I’ve decided to resist the temptation to repair it. I’ll keep the wings or tail surfaces for a bit though, just in case I get round to making another fuselage some time. It’s still my favourite scheme for this aircraft.
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1162 on: September 01, 2019, 02:49:42 PM »

Very nice to meet you too, as well as a couple of other guys familiar on these pages. was a shame about your Fairchild, I did have a couple of flights with my P51 (Stahl) and got away with it no damage apart from some split tissue to go with all the other split tissue on the model. My first time there, not my last, what shall I build for next time?
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #1163 on: September 01, 2019, 02:53:27 PM »

Grin  J  and K came to visit today so i flew the easybilt p40. the guillows 28 incher and a 18 inch p40 as well as a scaled down cabin model.

we used the new deck ( gloat, gloat) to launch all planes. the easybilt did very well flying the length of the back yard the guillows also flew well and the cabin model did its thing going around the yard and landing in the trees on occasion. the 18 inch p40 got smashed which is ok. the boys were very pleased with today's flights granny took videos of the action.

jim Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #1164 on: October 25, 2019, 07:20:37 AM »

I seldom fly my models in the morning... But today it was just too calm and nice not to try it.
I took the Chub and the Se5A with me. Both had some time in the hangar for reparation. The Chub got a new wing after a close encounter with a post... I took the opportunity and spent the new wing a new profile. The rib size of the Frog Redwing was just right to be used for the new wing. I just had to add a transition between the first and second rib to adapt the new profile. It seems to fly, but I have to adjust the angle of the stab since the new wing had to be attached with higher incident than to old one to somehow fit the fuselage which was build for the old profile.

The Se5A had a low-carb diet... I moved the rear peg one bay forward and was therefore able to remove some clay in the nose. It looks nice in flight, it flies a bit slower now.

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #1165 on: October 25, 2019, 08:08:48 AM »

Lovely pics, Roman, and I'm very interested in your new Chub wing. Truth be told I should've given it a thinner wing section to start with. I've never flown my original outdoors but yours looks lovely against the blue sky.
Are you coming to Nijmegen this year?
Pete
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1166 on: October 25, 2019, 01:18:25 PM »

Great photos as always Roman  Smiley
The Chub looks so good with the sunlight through the tissue.
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #1167 on: October 27, 2019, 04:38:03 AM »

Thanks Pete and Russ

I fly my Chub only outdoors Smiley I just started the trimming with the new wing. First flights look nice at the moment. I desperately try to improve the gliding of the Chub... I think it's hard to just glide the Chub to see if the CG is right. It glides like a brick, no big changes when moving the CG. It flies now o.K. under Power, but it needs quite some down thrust. I might experiment a bit with a higher pitch prop to break the power burst at the beginning of the flight. I think that I will never get a nice glide out of it and instead plan to have some power left in the rubber for the landing.

About Nijmegen.... No, unfortunately I cant. I had it on my agenda and already blocked the date at the office. But I have to cancel it.
Too much work at the moment Cry
I hope that you all have a very nice meeting in Nijmegen and I plan to attend again the next year. Please take a lot of pictures to share with us Smiley

Roman
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 86

Ignore
« Reply #1168 on: October 28, 2019, 08:44:48 PM »

Nice pictures Roman!  I had a great time in Buckeye AZ at WestFAC VII - flew 44 official flights, 4 mass launches and a bunch of trimming and fun flights during the three-day meet.  The fields were wide open and pillow-soft, the weather was great and the people were even better.  I put together some clips from the GoPro of various events - video at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ih2AIg1Olg

Cheers,

Mike
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1169 on: October 28, 2019, 09:54:25 PM »

The Chub was beautifully captured Roman and the SE5A looks like it is off on an early dawn patrol. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the video Mike - almost perfect location and conditions and it looks like the Skyrocket put in a couple of good flights as well!  Smiley

John

John
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 10:08:21 PM by OZPAF » Logged
rgroener
Platinum Member

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #1170 on: October 29, 2019, 02:10:01 AM »

Great video Mike. I would like to have such big fields to fly in...
stovebolt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1171 on: November 07, 2019, 04:56:16 PM »

Took the Plain Plane out, finally got in some flying w/o breaking a plane up.
But I should have brought another motor. I thought the first flight was gone, but found some grass on the back parking lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjh9GDO1Qw0&feature=youtu.be
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1172 on: November 07, 2019, 06:15:10 PM »

I bet you thought it was gone on that first flight! Nice flight SB!

John
stovebolt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1173 on: November 07, 2019, 08:19:20 PM »

I bet you thought it was gone on that first flight! Nice flight SB!

John
You got that right John, after that I started off to the east;)
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: