Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 17, 2019, 06:34:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas Kit 326 Flight Reports  (Read 8430 times)
kennybflyin
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »

LastWoodsman

Here is a snap of a Hi-Flier 16 inch Staggerwing. Whatcha think? Too little, too late maybe. Scale her up to 24 inch WS?  Really old plan I think. Outerzone doesn't have it listed anyway.

Kennybflyin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas Kit 326 Flight Reports
John Webster
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

The sun illuminates the structure.

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2019, 01:18:48 AM »

Interesting stabilizer decalage adjustment gadget on that Staggerwing plan.

A pilot starts out with a bag full of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2019, 03:42:14 AM »

Hello Kenny - thanks so much for those Hi-flier Rearwin Speedster and Hi-flier Staggerwing plans   Grin  - how do you find these plans?    Cool  And thanks for putting the scale ruler at the bottom side.   Shocked   Is that just a pic or a scan?    Those pics expand really clearly in order to read everything.  

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 177

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2019, 09:09:26 AM »

The Hi-Flyer Staggerwing plan actually shows you where to put the pins to build it.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2019, 05:19:39 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30"  Dumas kit

5th FLIGHT REPORT     FRIDAY APRIL 5 2019

Here was the big day, since there have been no flying days now since Friday March 29 2019 -  six days.
     Today was actually two flight reports in the same day - one in the morning 6 flights, and one in the afternoon 7 flights.

MORNING FLIGHTS  5th Flight Report

Weather 10:25 AM  41 deg F (36),  winds  7 mph from East gusting to 11 mph, 81% humidity.   We left the apt at 10:45 AM.

Pic #1     1843     Walk on the way out, cloudy skies - it had rained earlier.
pic #2     1844     Sunken gardens of Jackson Park in the background.
Pic #3     1845     The Cricket field (lighter green) is just coming into view behind the three towering Dawn Redwoods that have shed their needles.
Pic #4     1846     Backpack is emptied.
Pic #5     1847     Closeup of backpack contents.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont.

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: April 06, 2019, 05:24:28 PM »

Moderator, I cannot upload pics.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2019, 12:30:19 AM »

test

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2019, 02:10:58 AM »

Test -  OK now - great!

Moderator, please remove Replies #129 through to this Reply inclusive.  Thankyou.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 02:21:16 AM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2019, 02:24:15 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30"  Dumas kit

5th FLIGHT REPORT     FRIDAY APRIL 5 2019

Here was the big day, since there have been no flying days now since Friday March 29 2019 -  six days.
     Today was actually two flight reports in the same day - one in the morning 6 flights, and one in the afternoon 7 flights.

MORNING FLIGHTS  5th Flight Report

Weather 10:25 AM  41 deg F (36),  winds  7 mph from East gusting to 11 mph, 81% humidity.   We left the apt at 10:45 AM.

Pic #1     1843     Walk on the way out, cloudy skies - it had rained earlier.
pic #2     1844     Sunken gardens of Jackson Park in the background.
Pic #3     1845     The Cricket field (lighter green) is just coming into view behind the three towering Dawn Redwoods that have shed their needles.
Pic #4     1846     Backpack is emptied.
Pic #5     1847     Closeup of backpack contents.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont.

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2019, 03:06:44 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30" Dumas kit

MORNING FLIGHTS 5th Flight Report cont.

Stretch winding the rubber motor with a winding stooge.  Winder Handle is  15:1
Starting with a 4 strand  16 1/2"  long   3/16"  rubber motor, prop hook to rear peg is 13".
Pic #1     1848     Rubber motor is wound.
Pic #2     1849     Good landing glidepath, and spits out the prop.
Pic #3     1851     On the ground in the dead middle of the tree trunks.
Pic #4     1852     Sitting past 2 lines of tree trunks.
Pic #5     1853     View the other direction - missed a lot of trees!!
Pic #6     1854     Closeup shows it had spit out the prop.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2019, 03:12:23 AM »

Pic #1     1855     The plane is in the crux of the V trunk split, with white roof background -  goiong way too far out.
Pic #2     1856     Stops just short of the tree line.
Pic #3     1857     Bent left landing gear.
Pic #4     1859     High above Trapper.
Pic #5     1861     Spat out prop on landing, bent the left gear.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2019, 03:17:49 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas kit

5th FLIGHT REPORT    FRIDAY APRIL 5 2019

Pic #1     1862     My whole setup.
Pic #2     1863     Broken strand again while stretching.
Pic #3     1864     On the walk home for lunch and to change the motor.  The wind is blowing 8 mph - see the flag at attention ...

FLIGHT SUMMARY -  7 Flights

Flight #1     25 handle turns =  375 rubber winds    16 sec   Perfect slow circle, spitting off the prop as it lands.

Flight #2     30 turns =  450 winds    22 sec     full circle, runs out of motor, straightens out the glide and lands pst the tree trunk!

I added more weight to the left wing tip to make the flight a tighter left turn.

Flight #3     25 = 375 winds    19 sec    Launched from the NE side of the field.  Big  half circle and it lands just short of the tree line.

I added more weight.

Flight #4     25 = 375 winds   4 sec    CRASH  Bad launch   Embarrassed  on too high of an angle.  Climbs, stalls, and comes straight down into the ground,  and bent the wheel pants badly.  Big "Crack", but I did not see too much damage.  I THOUGHT it was a good test ...   Huh Undecided Tongue

Flight #5     25 = 375 winds     18 sec     Big 3/4 circle right over Trapper Pic #1859

Flight #6     25 = 375 winds    22 sec    Nice high slow flight 3/4 circle and soft landing into the wind.  BEST FLIGHT  The extra weight worked.

While winding for the 7th flight, I stretched out the knots of the motor to look how they knotted up, and snap, one of the rubber strands breaks right in front of me.   So we decided to got home, as the sun would eventually come out, and we needed to eat lunch.

Got back to the apt. at 12:15 PM. 
Weather  12:05  PM   43 deg F (37), winds  8 mph from North, gusting to 12 mph, 81% humidity.

We changed the motor, ate a big lunch, and headed back out to the Cricket Field.
cont. on "afternoon flights"

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

ffadict
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2019, 09:47:36 AM »

I think more time is setting up (err, deploying) Bloodroot and Mandrake than building Smiley
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »

6th FLIGHT REPORT
    FRIDAY APRIL 5 2019
continued from the morning flights above

AFTERNOON FLIGHTS   6th FLIGHT REPORT

Left the apt at 2:10 PM, after a big lunch.
Weather  1:55 PM   46 deg F (43), winds from North at 6 mph, gusting to 9 mph, 81% humidity.

Started with a new 4 strand  18" long   3/16" rubber motor.  Prop hook to rear peg is  13".

Pic #1     1866     Flying way out there going left, above the end of the "Pitch".    
Pic #2     1867     Flying close in behind me.
Pic #3     1868     Just above the tree line.
Pic #4     1869     Damage to left front Trouser attachment.
Pic #5     1870     BEST PIC  Flying in behind me.
Pic #6     1871     It hit the soft part of that big soft spruce branch right above, and fell to the ground.  No damage ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 01:02:25 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2019, 12:11:22 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30" Dumas kit

6th FLIGHT REPORT     FRIDAY APRIL 5 2019
continued from  above

AFTERNOON FLIGHTS     6th FLIGHT REPORT

Pic #1     1872     Flying into the stand of mature Spruce trees ... two thirds up the spruce at right, going left.
Pic #2     1874     Stuck high in the middle.
Pic #3     1873     Closeup of the lightly stuck Speedster
Pic #4     1875     Flying left.  BEST PIC
Pic #5     1876     Great day for flying.
Pic #6     1877     In low for a landing.

Flight #1     28  =      420 winds     18 sec     15/16  of a circle,  soft landing, spits out the prop.    Pics  1866  1867

Flight #2     33  =     495 winds     14 sec     3/4  of a circle,  really slow into the wind at the end of the flight, left gear slightly bent.  Pic  1868

Flight #3     CRASH   35 =     525 winds    4 sec    The wind was more from the East and drove it down, =  bad cross wind launch, going left low and hit hard under full power.  Broke out the forward Trouser attachment to the fuse Pic #1869.

I continued flying the plane anyways - the sandwiched Landing Gear wire was still solid and springy ...

Flight #4     35  =     525 winds      17 sec    Flew one circle right in behind me and into a big thick spruce bough six feet above the ground.  Pic 1870 and Pic 1871

Flight #5     35   =     525 winds    17 sec    LANDS HIGH UP IN A BIG SPRUCE  I launched from the NE (I am doiong soft launches now), it flew  1 1/4 circle in behind me really high, and slowly glides into the clump of five big spruce trees.   Two big  4" diameter limbs were barely within reach if I jumped up as high as I could.   I tried ...  failed miserably, but on the long walk back to the Stooge, Lo and Behold, there is a really long 10 foot stick just laying there ...  which actually reached the plane to get it out.   Pic 1872, 1873, 1874

Flight #6     35  =     525 winds    22 sec     full circle soft into the wind Pic  1876

Flight #7     35  =     525 winds   17 sec     end of a big  3/4  circle

At  3:07,  we decided to go home instead of smashing it up further, even though she still flew fine ...  More work for mechanics Mandrake and Bloodroot in the Speedster Maintenance Hangar ...

Back home at  3:25 PM
Weather  55 deg F (55)   winds from North East at 4 mph, gusting to 6 mph,  62%  humidity.

We sure ended up  using the whole Cricket field.  Huh Undecided   The End.   Thanks for watching.   Keep 'em flying !   Cheesy

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

ffadict
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: April 08, 2019, 12:34:49 PM »

I'm glad you got the Speedster out of the tree! My brother test flew the only airplane he ever built into a tree, and it firmly stuck itself into an unclimbable position, and refused to come down until it was ruined by a T-storm...that ended his building career Sad
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 177

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: April 08, 2019, 08:32:29 PM »

What a day of flying Richard. Success and a bit of drama.

Ffadict - I have lost a couple in trees - annoying but still you can't let it stop you.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #142 on: April 09, 2019, 06:23:38 AM »

Thanks ffadict!   That long stick I used just happened to be laying in the middle of the Cricket field.   One's interest in this hobby is quite easily lost when you smash up a model, especially when it does not fly in the first place.  I won't ever fly without landing gear ever again.  Hopefully, you could entice your brother into the Hobby again.
     Thanks John.   That was a really tiring day, as I did not set the stooge up close enough to the launch area, and as I had to do a lot of trudging all over that Cricket field, over dressed, and with the big rubber Wellington boots on.   We did have some really nice flights, but we will have to have the mechanics take a look at the damage back at the Hangar.   We will be back.

Pic of my smashed up 25" Waco N that took me four months to build.  Thanks to everyone who tried to warn me.   I'm still not over this one ... Extreme disappointments like this, among other things, can really drive you from the Hobby, that is for sure ...

Pic 9012

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #143 on: April 10, 2019, 09:58:08 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30" Dumas kit

REPAIRS FROM FRI APR 5 2019 CRASHES

There was not really a lot of damage   Undecided - a cracked balsa sandwich of the landing gear at one spot, a couple of broken stringers, nothing that can't be fixed up with some infill plank blocks.   Cheesy

Pic #1     1914     Mandrake and Bloodroot have a lot on their minds as they drag the Rearwin into the Hangar.

Pic #2     1916     M and B suspect sabotage and subterfuge, and are not sure if they still have a job ...
     On the screen -  a "Merlin" falcon - 23" wingspan nicknamed Pigeon Hawk.

Pic #3     1917     M and B just got the happy news Grin  Shocked  Roll Eyes that their contract is extended -  high fisting  ...    Time to get the Speedster airworthy and back in the air ...   Cool

Pic #4     1919     M and B perform exploratory surgery.

pic #5     1918     A block of balsa is cut out, shaped, and test fitted, and cut lines are marked with pencil, to thin out the block  even with the fuselage contour.

Pic #6     1921     Another block is cut out and test fitted.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2019, 04:15:55 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas kit

REPAIRS FROM FRI APR 5 2019 CRASHES

Pic #1     1922     This little block infill plank was just not quite wide enough, so a scrap piece of 16" plate balsa was glued to it after pencil tracing the location, and pinned down with a springy long piece of balsa plank.

Pic #2     1923     Double white glued and dried overnight.  All ready to cut off the excess.

Pic #3     1924     After fitting in and gluing the above plan, it needed another shim for a gap.   

Pic #4     1925     And another shim for good measure.

Pic #5     1927     All is dry now and Mandrake cuts off the excess balsa, even with the fuse.

Pic #6     1931     Mandrake sees it even needed just one more balsa shim.  Now everything is all tight, and good and solid, and double white glued, ready for final sanding,  staining, and tissue repair.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #145 on: April 19, 2019, 12:44:26 PM »

REPAIRS From Fri April 5 2019 CRASHES

Mandrake and Bloodroot continue working on the Speedster.

Pic #1     1932      Planking is dry and sanded, ready for "Golden Oak" stain, then some tissue panels ...

Pic #2     1933     The balsa trouser just spins around the Landing Gear wire,  up into place, against the fuse,  for flying.

Pic #3     1942     The work day for Mandrake and Bloodroot starts at the crack of dawn.

Pic #4     1943     The planks are now stained up, and finally dry.

Pic #5     1970     Mandrake and Bloodroot measure up, and cut out, four panels of tissue, for exact fit.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

stovebolt
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2019, 02:28:53 PM »

Here is a good link to one of many stories about "The Mad Trapper of Rat River"  (Rat meaning the "Muskrat" that was, and still is, trapped for  its luxurious fur)    http://nwtandy.rcsigs.ca/stories/rat_river.htm

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Thanks for that link, great story.
Didn't Lee Marvin and Charles Bronson do a movie along these lines? Wonder if that was the inspiration?
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2019, 05:51:05 PM »

Hi stovebolt.   Yes, and yes, that movie is called "Death Hunt" and was loosely based on the Mad trapper of Rat River.  Death Hunt bears little semblance to the true story of the manhunt of Albert Johnson, the reputed "Mad Trapper of Rat River". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Hunt
     The real plane that finally found the "Mad Trapper" was a Bellanca CH 300 PACEMAKER, and was piloted by "Wop" May,  not the Bristol F.2 Fighter biplane as shown in the movie.   That CH 300 plane is right near the top, of my top five aircraft to model. 

Pic #1     Death Hunt  1
Pic #2     Death Hunt 2
Pic #3     Death Hunt 3
Pic #4     Death Hunt 4
Pic #5     Bellanca CH 300 PACEMAKER  enlarged
Pic #6     Mad Trapper 2  newspaper clipping.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2019, 07:56:38 PM »

REPAIRS From Fri April 5 2019 CRASHES

After gluing on the tissue panels,  M and B concentrate on the motors.

Pic #1     1983     Making  3/32"  and  1/8"  motors of multiple strands of smaller rubber, but the same cross section width as  3/16"  rubber.

Pic #2      1971     Bench testing the eight strand, 12 inch long,   3/32"  motor.

Pic #3     1972      Another view.  

Testing The  3/32" ,  eight strand (four loops),  twelve inch 12"  rubber motor,  to see if there is any difference from using a  four strand 12" motor of  3/16"  rubber.

STRETCH WINDS on Table Stooge
300  winds  =  11 seconds
300  winds  =  16 seconds
300 winds  =  17 seconds
      It looks like the rubber got "broken in"  by the first test, thereby giving longer flight time runs afterwards.

FINGER WINDS
150  =  9 seconds
200  = 11 seconds
240  =   14 seconds

The actual testing in the Cricket Field outside, came on the morning of Tuesday April 16 2018,  using the 8 strand 12" long motor of  3/32",  all using finger winds in the 30" Rearwin Speedster,  which has a prop hook to rear peg of  13".    

Report to follow.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

kennybflyin
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2019, 11:12:15 AM »

OK
Now for a dummy lesson on the names of your repairmen, please.
Mandrake and Bloodroot are plant names. How do you associate those plant names with the two repairmen?

Never give up on that ol’ Rearwin.

Kennybflyin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: