Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2019, 06:33:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas Kit 326 Flight Reports  (Read 9597 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2019, 12:37:48 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30" Dumas kit

FLIGHT REPORT #  7   EARLY AFTERNOON FLIGHTS Tuesday April 16  2019

After Mandrake and Bloodroot glued on the tissue, they installed the lubed and pre-stretched,  12 inch motor of eight strands ( 4 loops ), of  3/32"  rubber.   We wanted to see if there was any difference between  a  3/32"  and a  3/16"  motor of the same combined rubber width.
      We left the apt  at 1:30  PM.    The weather was   50 deg F (26), wind blowing from the SW  at  10 mph gusting to 16,  71% humidity.   There is leaf flush today, and swollen buds, and the grass is green and growing.
     We got in 5 flights, surviving one single cartwheel crash on Flight #3.

Pic #1     1974     Walk out to the Cricket Field past the Flower Garden and the Astrolabe
Pic #2     1975     Flying left at the tree line.
Pic #3     1976     Flying
Pic #4     1977     On the ground.   You can see the slight bend in the left  Landing Gear wire on the left ankle.
pic #5     1978     The plane is just above the top of the right seats.
Pic #6     1979     The deep grass has not been cut yet this year.

Flight #1     200 finger winds  =  10 sec     
Flight #2     225                        = 12 sec   flight was long and not enough left turn.    I added a left rudder tab bend, to tighten the circle
Flight #3    240  CARTWHEEL CRASH  -   I had added too much left rudder turn !!     It flew out tight and low to the left, and hit the ground with the left wing, about 3 seconds into the flight.   One complete cartwheel, lands on its legs, and runs out the rest of the prop rubber, while still being held in place by the long grass.   No damage   Grin  -  Whew ...    Tongue Undecided  I blame this completely on a sudden change of wind direction ...    Huh Huh
Flight #4     240                        =  13 sec     half circle
Flight #5     260                        =  12 sec     3/4 circle

Well,  I did not see any real difference   Undecided  from using a 3/16" motor.   Enough experimenting ...  time for the stooge and winder and a big motor.
     We got home at  2:30 PM  50 deg F (46) ,  wind is now blowing from the south 9 mph,  gusting to 14 mph,  71% Humidity.    We had a big lunch, and then headed right back out with the Winding Stooge and Backpack. Little did we know ... ,  the wind was dying down to only  4 mph  ...  and we were about to set a new personal record ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas Kit 326 Flight Reports

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2019, 09:36:17 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"  Dumas kit

FLIGHT REPORT # 8   LATE AFTERNOON FLIGHTS  Tuesday April 16  2019
9 Flights.

At home we put on the big   19 1/2",  four strand (two loops),  3/16" rubber motor.   Prop hook to rear peg is 13".
     We ate quickly and packed up, and picked up the pace on the walk back out to the Cricket field of Jackson Park,  with good reason -  the weather was now  becoming almost perfect ...  We left at 3:52 PM, and   the temp was 57 deg F (57),   winds were blowing ONLY  4 mph from the South,  gusting to 8 mph,  and only 59 % Humidity.   And no one was on the wide open Cricket Field.   And the grass was green and long and growing  ...

Pic #1     1999     Pic in front of the replica warplanes on pedestals.
Pic #2     1994     Trapper, pack, plane, stooge setup.
Pic #3     1985     BEST PIC  Flight #1    flying into the tree.
Pic #4     1986     Lightly stuck in the tree on Flight #1,  precariously perched on a small branch.
pic #5     1987      Flight #2    Long half circle straight out, not enough left turn.    I added a touch little more left turn on the rudder tab and elevator tabs.
Pic #6     1988    Flight #3     flying just above the end of the Pitch.

Flight #1     600 winds    16  seconds    STUCK IN A TREE  1985  1986  On the first flight,  I wound in 30 handle cranks on my 15:1 Winder,   then I foolishly made the mistake of cranking in another 10,  for 600 stretch winds total.    This flight went beautifully, out in a big circle, but comes around high, back to me and in behind me, and I am running after it to try and grab it before it hit the trees ...   Shocked Shocked    I could only take a pic of it flying into the tree.   Sad   It was well out of reach when it landed, floating into the wind, and perched like a bird on a very thin branch, WELL out of reach.   I had to hike to the other end of the field and found my old stick I used before ... and got it down - a couple of really small tissue tears, solved with a little Scotch clear tape.  What a way to start out ...   Huh Undecided
Flight #2     450 winds  18  sec   Long half circle straight out, not enough left turn.    I added a touch little more left turn on the rudder tab and elevator tabs.
Flight #3     450 winds  15  sec  Launched from the NE.

cont on next Reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2019, 10:20:50 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30"  Dumas kit

FLIGHT REPORT #  8  LATE AFTERNOON FLIGHTS  Tuesday April 16  2019
9 Flights
cont. from prev reply

Pic #1     1989     Flight #4   BEST PIC   Real close pic!   1 1/8 perfect circle real close.
Pic #2     1990     Flight #5     Almost down to a perfect landing.
Pic #3     1991     Flight #6    The flight was really floaty into the wind on the last leg.   Pointing down and coming right at me, it lands at my feet - 28 sec.
Pic #4     1992     Flight #7  BEST PIC    Grey prop wash against the gray skies.   31 sec   1 1/4 perfect circle.
Pic #5     1993     Another view of my setup,  along with that life saver stick!!
Pic #6     1995     Flight #8     31 sec   I had launched this at a higher angle and it went way up for another perfect flight.  Nice pic of the Rearwin coming in to land at my feet.   Smiley

Flight #4     525 winds 24  sec  Pic 1989     BEST PIC    1 1/8 perfect circle, real close pic coming in for a landing.
Flight #5     525 winds  23 sec  Pic 1990     
Flight #6     615 winds  28 sec   Pic 1991
Flight #7     675 winds  31 sec   Pic 1992    BEST PIC
Flight #8     750 winds  31 sec   Pic 1995     31 sec perfect flight -   lands at my feet ...   

cont on next Reply.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2019, 10:34:20 PM »

FLIGHT REPORT #  8   LATE AFTERNOON FLIGHTS  Tuesday April 16  2019
9 Flights
cont. from prev Reply

This is my record setting Flight  #9 of  43 seconds - the previous best from all of last summer was  34 seconds.   Motor was  19 1/2" long of 4 strands of  3/16" rubber, prop hook to rear peg is 13 inches.

Pic #1     1996    Flight #9  43 seconds,  way up high ...
Pic #2     1997    Flight #9   On final with the wind, going past the tree trunk perimeter line ...
Pic #3     1998     Flight #9     This is how it landed on this record flight - one flip after it landed, and having already spit off the prop, and no damage.
Pic #4     2000     The sun is breaking out along with the tree buds.
Pic #5    2001     Blue sky and white clouds and Spring trees of Jackson Park,  Windsor, Ontario, Canada.  A couple of small strips of Scotch tape, holds the prop block on for travel.
Pic #6        WEATHER FORECAST for tomorrow  Sunday April 21 2019

Flight #9     750 winds  43 seconds.   This flight took so long, I got two pics.  This came around the circle very high, after getting a good upward launch downwind, which must have caught part of the bottom of the wind coming over the tree tops, because it climbed even higher.  The down wind leg was nice and high turning into the crosswind, while moving further along and out, and then starting to circle into the wind, suddenly climbing and dropping,  wavering and slowing up and getting bounced around while coming back into the wind, way up high, at or above tree top level,  but still possessing the penetration as it kept spinning into the wind.   I don't think smaller models can do this.  That is why I need larger models for this small field and the ever present strong winds that we have today.   Came in 360 degrees around in behind me high, and went slow downwind very far and high, and eventually ran out the rubber.
     The landing finished out past the tree line,   Huh Undecided  after it straightened out when the rubber ran out - good thing there were no tree trunks in the way   Shocked   .....    So, we decided to quit as it seemed to be getting more windy.

We got home at 5:20 PM,  and the wind had really picked up.  It was now 50 deg F (46),  winds blowing from the North (the wind had shifted from South to North while we were out there flying ...), now blowing from the North at 9 mph, gusting to 14 mph,  and 82% Humidity.
     This is the best time of year right now to fly,  before they cut the grass for the first time.   And the weather forecast looks great for Sunday April 21 2019 and Monday April 22 2019, and for the rest of the week.   We will be there ...  time for the bigger  21"  and  22"  motors, and we'll see if I can keep it out of the trees ...

Happy flying

The End

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 10:47:35 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2019, 03:09:16 PM »

Hi kennybflyin!   I hope to never give up on the ol'  30" Rearwin Speedster -  thanks for the nice reply.    Smiley  My cyborg super soldiers (half human and half machine),  from the future,  Mandrake and Bloodroot, did get their names from plants.   They actually chose their own names ( Artificail Intelligence).   Wink   Mandrake is both beneficial and deadly, and Bloodroot was used for war/protection, and face paint, and decorations, by Native Americans.
     I did get some further flying in on Sunday April 21 2019,  and Monday April 22 2019 -  Sunday was an exercise in hand winds of a 10" four strand motor of 3/16"  for 8 great flights in a wet Cricket Field.   We were ready for Monday also, and went all out as we headed out with the stooge for an attempt at beating the 43 second record we just got  -  I came up barely short with a 42 second flight   Grin Grin  , but then ........  Huh Tongue Cry   two Flight Reports to follow.

Pic #1     Mandrake plant   in Rearwin Speedster Apr 5 2019
Pic #2     Bloodroot plant
Pic #3     Mandrake and bloodroot front view
Pic #4     Mandrake and bloodroot rear view

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: April 28, 2019, 10:15:17 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"  Dumas kit

FLIGHT REPORT #9             SUNDAY APRIL 21 2019

8 FINGER WOUND MORNING FLIGHTS 

First thing In the morning, on the walk out into the park with Trapper, we found out that the Cricket Field was sopping wet from three days of rain -  with standing "ponding" water on the East side -  but the West side of the Field was much drier.  So back at the apartment, after our walk,  I put in the new  10" long, six strands 1/8" rubber motor that I had just made up (prop hook to rear peg is 13"), and we went back out to the Cricket Field for some test flights with this rubber combination.   And we got some good pics of what Jackson Park looks like in the Spring at the crack of "leaf flush".   Smiley

Pic #1     2007     Morning walk - park is coming alive - rained yesterday.
Pic #2     2008     Blue and white sky with buds and flowers just coming out on the trees.
pic #3     2009     Ham shot #1
Pic #4     2010     Ham shot #2
Pic #5     2011     Ham Shot #3
Pic #6     2012     Trapper and the Reawin Speedster warm themselves up on the sunny astroturf of the Cricket "Pitch".

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont.

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2019, 10:26:02 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30"  Dumas kit
cont from prev Reply
FLIGHT REPORT #9            SUNDAY APRIL 21 2019

The weather at  10:25 AM  -  Temp was 50 deg F (48),  winds blowing from the West at 4mph, gusting to 7 mph, and 82% humidity.
     We had a total of eight great flights,  all from finger winds (I have perfected my technique, of somewhat quickly,  powering in the winds of the prop, surely and solidly).    I planned just flying it in one half to three quarter circles, and try to get it to land on the drier side of the Cricket field.  The flights were all about one half to a max of 3/4 of a circle, and with the way the wind was blowing, I could  just send it off downwind,  and at the end of each flight it would land in the higher and drier, but still wet, grass part, of the West side of the Cricket field.
     I think I am beginning to really like this simple finger winding for small park flying  - you can have a lot of fun   Grin Cheesy  with 20 second flights, which really is not too bad of a time at all  Cool  for a 30"  High Wing model.   And there is no pressure to set a record and bring the stooge and set up everything.

Pic #7     2013     Another view.
pic #8     2014     I like this pic -  she just did 43 seconds on the last Flight Report #8.   The yellow willows are in full flower.
Pic #9     2015     Flight with sprouting tree leaves.
Pic #10     2016     Spring flying.
Pic #11     2017     Perfect landing.
Pic #12     2018     Coming down on final glide.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:14:32 AM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2019, 10:34:12 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30"  Dumas kit
cont from prev Reply
FLIGHT REPORT #9          SUNDAY APRIL 21 2019

I started out with  150  finger winds, which gave an 8 sec flight,  and I worked my way up through the next flights, all the way to 275 finger winds which gave me  a 20 second flight, the best of the day.
     So ... after all that rejuvenating therapy,  we went home, ( as the forecast, for the next day, Mon Apr 22 2019, was about to come true, and we would be ready to fly then ... as the Cricket Field should dry up more ...).  
    On the walk home through the park,  we had a visitor in the perimeter of the sunken flower garden - a wild Turkey.   I had seen him the evening before, near the entrance on the grass, and he flew almost straight up with powerful, thrashing and crashing wingbeats,  up to a big tree limb.   A few days before, I was walking up the butterfly meadow strip by the rail tracks and frog ditches, when at 20 minutes before sunset,  we saw four turkeys fly up separately into their roost tree, spaced out, and one at a time,  in the next 7 minutes.  Got a pic of them at sundown too -    
     At home, the weather at  11:45 AM now, was Temp 54 deg F (52), winds blowing from the SouthWest at  8 mph, gusting to 12 mph, and 77% humidity.
     We had a lot of fun with those easy flights - good practise of launching technique -   but with the next day having a great forecast,  we now, at home,  put in a brand new  22"  stretched and lubed 3/16" 4 strand motor,  bench tested the motor in the plane,  and packed up all the equipment, and waited with eager anticipation, intending to get out flying first thing in the morning the next day,  after running the dog.

Pic #13     2019     Soft landing flip.
Pic #14     2020     Nice pic flying left.
Pic #15     2021     Best Ham pic on the walk back home.
Pic #16     2023     Turkey in the Flower Garden.
Pic #17     1965     Turkeys roosting at sunset for the night.
Pic #18     1966      Exploded view of the Turkeys.

Happy Flying !!   Cheesy

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:18:17 AM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2019, 10:36:15 AM »

Nice pics Last wood! I admit I would have a hard time not being distracted by those two voluptuous aircraft shapes. I could stand and gawk for hours. Too much for the eyes. Insufficient human senses for shabby human absorption! I would have to go look at a Ford Escort for 15 minutes just to counter balance the high, and walk straight again!

The Threadkiller!
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 32

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2019, 09:05:13 PM »

Clearly, in order to be prepared, you need to dangle a Matchbox sized Escort from the brim of your cap so you can be prepared for emergencies. Otherwise, you may someday find yourself trapped in a fugue state. ;-)

P.S. It may be hard to find one. Maybe you'll have to settle for a Pinto, a Pacer or (gasp!) a Yugo.
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2019, 05:49:02 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"  Dumas kit

FLIGHT REPORT #10
            MONDAY APRIL 22 2019

SEVEN FLIGHTS STRETCH WOUND

Weather at  9:35 AM  was  54 deg F (52) ,  winds blowing from the South West at 6 mph, gusting to 9 mph,  77% humidity.
     We had the new  22" four strand  3/16" rubber motor in the plane (prop hook to rear peg is 13").    We were out to beat that  43  sec personal record in Flight Report #8.    We gave the record a pretty good scare with a  42 sec flight in Flight #5, coming just short by one second.   Little did we know ...  but I knew in the back of my mind -  that that hard "KRUNK" at the end of the first flight would come back to haunt us.   

Flight #1     525 stretch winds     18 sec
Flight #2    600 winds     16 sec
Flight #3     675 winds     12 sec
Flight #4     750 winds    30 sec

Pic #1     2031     First Flight way out there, half way through the one circle flight going left, and finishing to a hard landing at my feet.
Pic #2     2032     Still first Flight,  ready to run out of rubber and then suddenly it dive bombs me extremely quickly, from about 9 feet above, like a Kamikaze curse hex, right straight at my feet, causing me to just barely, desperately leap out of the way in time,  at the last femto second,  and the downward pointing nose hits the short, Cricket player-trompled grass at my feet, with a solid LOUD 'KRUNK' !!    This would lead to a serious problem later ...  I did wiggle everything to try to find a break, but it all seemed solid ...
Pic #3     2033     2nd Flight coming in to land just beside the Pitch.
Pic #4     2034     How the second flight ended up.
Pic #5     2035     Ready to start winding.
Pic #6     2036     4th Flight  30 sec Flight  BEST PIC

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont.

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2019, 06:02:51 PM »

FLIGHT REPORT #10           MONDAY APRIL 22 2019
cont from last Reply

Flight #5     825 winds     42 sec   LONGEST FLIGHT of the day  - one second short of my record!    It flew  1 1/4  circle, which changed direction way high up in the glide and flew the other way to land on the road -  good thing I had moved further to the left on the launch - or I would be in the trees.

Pic #1     2037     4th Flight.  Landed on the woodchips in the middle of a grove of five large Norway Spruce trees ( Picea abies ),  in the North East corner of the Field,  and just missing all the trunks flying in there.   Huh
Pic #2     2038     4th Flight.  Closeup of how it came to rest.
Pic #3     2039     In the winding stooge.  Right top wing root shows a long tear of the black tissue.   This is where the break was started from the first flight.   Sad
Pic #4     2040     5th Flight.  Nice pic coming around full circle. Longest flight of the day -  42 sec  -  one short of the record.
Pic #5     2041     Still 5th Flight.  With the rubber winding down and running out with the plane high in the air,  the plane changed direction  180 degrees   Huh   and is now landing on the gravel packed road!  just before the puddle!   Landed hard but upright.
Pic #6     2043    Still 5th Flight   And here is how it landed, having spit out the prop block,  view of the road looking North.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont.

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2019, 06:12:32 PM »

FLIGHT REPORT #10           MONDAY APRIL 22 2019
cont. from last Reply

Flight #6     900 winds     27 sec      1 1/2  circles
Flight #7     825 winds     27 sec   CRASHES INTO A TREE AND BREAKS OFF THE LEFT WING !!!   It was already 1 1/2 circles into the flight, and was curving to try and miss the trees, and was nice and high on the leeward side of the trees, and could have been a long flight, .....  but alas,  it flew too close to the trees,    Huh   Cry    and the wing broke off so easily, just like a 'breakaway' wing,  which means the damage was done earlier.

Pic #1     2044     This view looks North West  - you can see that grove of five big Norway Spruce trees right beside the road.
Pic #2     2045     6th Flight   This is why Ray Rearwin called it a "Seedster" - it is so fast,  it is a blur ...
Pic #3     2046     Still 6th Flight.  Nice long 27 sec flight, glides to a landing from right to left, and just misses the tree trunk on the far side,   Shocked Shocked  landing very close beside the trunk.
Pic #4     2047     The finish of Flight #6, right beside and missing the tree trunk.
Pic #5     2048      7th Flight.  About to fly right into that branch and break off the left wing.  Shocked Shocked
Pic #6     2049     Lying on the ground, with the wing broken off, and the prop still spinning   Cool   Shocked   Wink  ...

Needless to say, we went packed up and left  ...  but at least we gave the record a good scare with the 42 second flight -  only one second off ...   Mandrake and Bloodroot will have to see how bad the damage is ...
     We got home at  11:15 AM    59 deg F (57),  winds blowing from the South at  11 mph, gusting to  16 mph,  59% humidity.
     Another exciting day, with the full gamut of emotions, from the thrill of victory, to the agony of defeat ...  from your local amateur small park rubber powered Free Flight balsa model basher (flyer) ... saying ....  "So Long",  from the Crickett Field in Jackson Park, Windsor, Ontario, Canada.
     Keep 'em flying !

LASTWOODSMAN & Trapper
Richard
The end of Flight Report #10

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2019, 08:32:51 PM »

Back to the repair shop Richard? It looks like a clean break. Beautiful sunny day - a pity about the tree getting in the way on your last flight.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: May 02, 2019, 08:20:20 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER   30"   Dumas Kit

REPAIRS AFTER APRIL 22 2019  CRASH

Well John,  there was more damage than meets the eye.   I would recommend that the wing root ribs, at the dihedral break at the sides of the wing center section,  I recommend doubling up these root ribs in the first place,  for more strength.   I would not worry about the extra weight -  this model seems to still fly well with all of the extra weight I have already put in ...

Pic #1     2050     Mandrake and Bloodroot start waving their arms in the air ...   You can see that there is only one piece of the wing root rib left on the fuse.  The front nose of the rib and the rear two thirds of the root rib, are on the broken off wing.

Pic #2     2051     This angle shows a different view - time for M and B to do exploratory surgery by cutting away the tissue.

Pic #3     2053     There was more broken -  the right ring also - every thing was loose.   Only the forward part of the right wing root rib and Leading Edge were still glued on.

Pic #4     2093     M and B assemble the four wing holding jig plates of white "Ross Craft Board"  ( the handiest things I ever made ),  and then do the "Volga Boatmen", and pull the Speedster into the Hangar.

Pic #5     2096     M and B lower the fuse into the jig and use elastics to hold the fuse in place.

Pic #6     2098     The broken pieces.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: May 02, 2019, 11:37:22 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER   30"  Dumas Kit

REPAIRS AFTER APRIL 22 2019  CRASH    

More progress ...

Pic #1     2099     Another view.   Even the cross member is not glued any more.

Pic #2     2101     The loose break is all around where the wing is glued to the fuse. The bottom of the wing root ribs, lift right off of the window roof ledge they were glued to.     Only the nose of the right wing root rib, is still slightly glued down ...   I can lift it off a little bit with my fingers, in the pic.

Pic #3     2102     First of all, we are white gluing all of the loose breaks, after trying to sand off the old 5 min epoxy   Huh Huh ,   I used,  to glue the wing to the fuse.    Both trailing edges were also broken.   A jar of coins  holds down the mating balsa surfaces, together, while drying overnight.

Pic #4     2103     Here I added an extra half-rib doubler to the right wing root rib -  for strength.   I cannot add the front of the rib, because the clear sun roof is in the way.

Pic #5     2109     M and B slide in the wing jig that was made from the other wing, and checked it for fit.   Very close - only one mm difference in height of the wing tips from the table.

Pic #6     2111     More additions to the wing jig  -  two crossmembers (with two balsa stick extensions later).

This is taking a lot of thinking,  and days of abject pondering,  and staring blankly...   in the general direction of ...    the jig ...   a sort of lack of motivation, what with all the flooding and rain and cold  - even here too -  The Cricket field and Jackson Park are flooded out too.    You need good waterproof "Wellingtons" ( rubber boots ),  to walk the dog ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2019, 09:20:28 PM »

That is a bit of a surprise Richard - I didn't expect that much damage. it's interesting to look at how damage is spread through a structure. Possibly the lightest way to design for crash survival or at least easier repair is to have shear connections between the fuselage and wing. To attach the wings to the fuse would mean just having a butt joint between a wing root rib and another rib on the fuse. The joint between the ribs basically designed to shear in a crash. No spars joining the wing to the fuselage. At best the break could be clean enough to just lightly glue the mating faces back together.
This method was used quite often on British FF glider polyhedral joints some years back without any dihedral braces, enabling the tips to break off with minimum damage. If the mating ribs were say 3mm each - then a thin 6mm wide band of tape around the ribs would be enough to hold the wings on and may release on impact.
The struts would need to be quick release - sliding joints at the fuse?
Just a few ideas.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2019, 12:25:15 AM »

Hi John.   I have heard about break away wings, but only for a biplane, for which I think,  the Bipe wings supposedly break off at the struts (sliding/loose glue fit of the  strut tips into the pockets on the wing?) [Sig "Customaire"  20 inch Bipe - Paul McIlrath design - I have the laser cut kit].
      So your method for a monoplane is to lightly glue the wing root rib to the root rib on the fuse, face to face, and this being the weak spot, in a crash it should break off right between the flat of the two root ribs faces?   It might work,  so long as it does not break off too easily,  or with too much difficulty.   A thin piece of tape to hold the root ribs together,  with just enough tack, or low sticking properties, that enable it to just rip off at the slightest impact, would also work theoretically.
     And Struts flying around in a crash, from breakaway wings, seems to be just as bad as spitting out the prop before landing, and that prop can also damage the plane, just like struts.   Lots to think about.
     This repair is going together well, now that I have figured out the jig setup, and got in two solid days of modelling.   The broken wing spars are all braced up with little balsa "Troughs" like I did on the other wing from another earlier crash.   It is all pretty solid now  - more pics to come.
      The rain stopped and the grass is really long and growing,  and soppy wet,  and they have not mowed it yet, and Saturday  and Sunday have good flying weather forecasts, so I should be able to get the Rearwin back into the park on Sunday for some finger wind flights, and to see if the wing is glued back on straight, and to see if the plane still holds its good trim for flight.  Should be no problem ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: May 04, 2019, 06:16:08 AM »

Using tape or even a thin wrap of tissue perhaps to hold the wing to the fuse mounted rib would work with small locating pegs and a joiner  to take the flight loads.

Yes the struts would be a problem - but the scale outdoor guys would probably have a reasonable solution - sliding joints or even just magnets perhaps. This would at least restrict the damage a bit.

Good luck with repairs and hope you get out onto the KK grass on Sunday.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: May 04, 2019, 02:42:34 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER   30" Dumas Kit

REPAIRS AFTER APRIL 22 2019  CRASH    BROKE OFF LEFT WING

Having a good solid jig setup was key to gluing this wing back on.   When I pressed the wing into the fuse for a test fit, the front half of the root rib fit the surfaces nice and flush,  but the rear of the wing root was short at the Trailing Edge break.   This was the AHA moment.  I decided to push the fuse from the other side, near the trailing edge,  about 1 or 2 mm over towards the broken wing (already secured with wingtip brace), and the broken trailing edge would then squeeze together and line up perfectly,  while the front of the root rib was still held flush to the fuse, by the wing tip holder.  In order to do this,  I mounted a huge balsa block on the other side of the fuse, and on top of this I put a small "pusher" block, to push the fuse over beside the Trailing Edge, and then pin down this pusher block, when the trailing edge break closed up on the glue.   Everything was now solid.

Pic #1     2112     The checkfit works, but there are balsa "troughs" to make to join the broken spars, and sandwich rib planks to make for the cross-grain breaks of the root rib.   The hard part was getting the rib breaks to butt up against each other when test fitting the wing.

Pic #2     2115   M and B just installed two balsa stick "extensions" onto the sides of the wing jig, in order to slide the wing on and to pin down a wing tip holder plate.

Pic #3     2114     The wing tip locating plate holder is test fitted ( it works even with clay still on the wingtip ).    The wing strut break, at the fuse, was clean at the balsa, and left the bare tips of the two  0.015" pieces, of reinforcing music wire, protruding past the balsa, so it located quite well.

Pic #4     2121     All the surfaces were white glued, and the wingtip holder is now pinned down in place to the balsa extensions.

Pic #5     2120     This pic shows the four broken spars and the root rib doublers all glued in place.  The  Top main spar and Bottom main spar is  1/8" X 1/16",  and the two top front spars are  1/16" square. Clothes pins are used.

Pic #6     2118     There are new (white) balsa pieces added to the wing center section for support, and it is allowed to dry over night.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: May 04, 2019, 07:34:34 PM »

The jigging approach to your repairs is always interesting Richard. it's no wonder that the model flies just as well after repairs as it did before.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: May 06, 2019, 10:06:00 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"   Dumas Kit

REPAIRS AFTER APRIL 22 2019  CRASH     BROKE OFF LEFT WING

The left wing strut break, at the fuse, was a clean break of the balsa, and also left bare, the tips of the two small 0.015",  reinforcing piano wires,  and the bottom of the strut located just right, down onto this "stub".

Pic #1     2124     This is the installation of the balsa support troughs that extend from rib to rib enclosing the broken spars.
Pic #2     2125     I filled in these troughs where needed with small strips of  1/16" sq balsa.
Pic #3     2126     Here, the top three troughs are done.
Pic #4     2129     Bloodroot does the final sanding.
Pic #5     2130     The wing jig is now removed.
Pic #6     2132     The top is now tissue covered, ready for spray mist shrinking, with water.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: May 06, 2019, 10:34:53 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"   Dumas Kit

REPAIRS AFTER APRIL 22 2019  CRASH     BROKE OFF LEFT WING

Pic #1     2133     Underside view.  I still have the broken bottom spar to brace up.
Pic #2     2134     The bottom of the wing strut glued into postion just right.
pic #3     2135      Outside pic.
Pic #4     2136     I am just infilling in between and around the broken spar -  no room for a "trough" proper now.
Pic #5     2137     A few little pieces ...
Pic #6     2138     Almost done.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: May 06, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER   30"  Dumas Kit

REPAIRS AFTER APRIL 22 2019  CRASH     BROKE OFF LEFT WING

Pic #1     2139     The bottom spar reinforcement is complete.
Pic #2     2141     Ready for the  3/32", eight strand,  12" long motor (prop hook to rear peg is 13"),  for finger wind testing.    Tissue is still un-shrink.
Pic #3     2158     Tissue is now shrunk.  Three outside pics of left wing reattachment repairs.
Pic #4     2159     I still have to spray it with Krylon Clear Gloss -  or just leave it as is  ...
Pic #5     2160    The tissue went on OK.    All ready for test flights   Grin   to see  IF     Roll Eyes   the wing went on straight.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2019, 11:49:57 AM »

Good job Richard, hope she flies well!!

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: