Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 22, 2019, 04:17:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas Kit 326 Flight Reports  (Read 8456 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2018, 04:44:47 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30"  WED OCT 3 2018 FLIGHT REPORT
Morning Flights

After getting three perfect little flights with the Speedster last night in the dark - all three very low tight circles by the way -  I was looking forward to the low wind this AM, because the forecast for the next week is too windy.  I walked the dog first and it was true - low wind.
     I left the apartment at about 9:30 AM, and headed out to the Cricket Wicket in Jackson Park,  with Speedster in hand, and a film container of clay weight,  one little towel,  a camera,  and a pencil and cardboard for log notes, and my index finger winder  -  it was overcast and cloudy with the sun trying to melt through -   57 deg F (feels like 55),  88% humidity, and winds blowing  6mph  from the South, gusting to 9 mph.  
     I made ten flights starting at 200 finger winds up to 250 finger winds - shortest flight was 9 seconds - longest flight was 23 seconds.  No damage and no gurney - it is nice to have long grass.  All the flights were nice circling left and soft landings, running out the rubber, so soft, the nose block did not even have to pop out.   No bent prop wire either.  I saw a grass mower mowing grass on the way in, and they were all working on paving the trails, some big shots rolling in, but I got away with it, and never got caught.   After the fifth flight today, I took off the left on the rudder tab, and bent it back to zero.  It widened the circles out perfectly.
    Winds were out of the south, so I launched on the south side of the Wicket towards the north, down wind.

Flight #1     200 winds   10 sec    15/16 circle   flew perfect and slow and floating coming back into the wind
Flight #2     220 winds   9 sec    one full circle  right to me landing 2 yards short
This plane really wants to land from where it was launched!
Flight #3     220 winds   14 sec   1 1/4 circle,   nice and lazy flight downwind and straightening out at the end for the last  quarter circle.

These flights were all very scary and low.   I have to wipe the dew water drops off of the prop and plane, and the tissue is saggy from the himidity.

Flight #4     230 winds    9 sec   1 1/8 circle     It turned left very quickly into the circle and came screaming back over me rightover ny head.

I now moved to a new launch postion on the East side of the Cricket Wicket.

Flight #5     230 winds     9 sec     1 1/2 circle     It went screaming low left on launch almost hitting the ground and back right over my head low -  this was too tight of a circle.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

continued on next reply
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas Kit 326 Flight Reports

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2018, 04:49:10 PM »

morning flights

continued from previous reply

I put less left on the rudder tab, and put it back to neutral.

Flight #6       230 winds 17 sec  11/16  circle   It now flew with a little wider circle and at a good height.     -  a most perfect, slow, soft landing into the wind.

The sun is out now.

Fllight #7      240 winds    19 sec   3/4 circle    it went out nice and high and slow, runs out the motor, and straightens ou to the right, straight South West.
Flight #8       250 winds   11 sec     9/16 circle   For some reason it went straight out too far at the start.
Flight #9        250 winds   23 sec      1 1/4  circle   BEST FLIGHT OF THE DAY
Flight #10    250 winds     12 sec   just over one circle ,  as it flew right over my head!

I decided to call it quits and not get too greedy, as all of the people were getting in the park now, and I could hear the murmuring laughter of the thirsting Gods of Free Flight, and I returned home at 11:00 AM.   The temp was now 61 deg F (feels like 61),   88% humidity,  and winds blowing from the SouthEast now at 7 mph, gusting to 11 mph.   Truly great weather for the beginning of fall for a small park flyer like me.  Grin Cheesy Smiley

Get out and fly

LASTWOODMAN
Richard

The End of the Morning Flights

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2018, 04:53:21 PM »

Afternoon Flights

There were not a lot of great pics from the earlier morning flights, so I grabbed the plane and Trapper and off we went again to the Cricket Wicket at 1:00 PM.   The winds were now blowing  12 mph from the South,  gusting to 17 mph (too windy, but since the grass was thick and tall ...)  72 deg F (feels like 72)  and 73% humidity.   Did three flights on the Cricket grounds - got a shot of the prop running out stuck up in the air, on final approach to the "Pitch", after which is glided down to what I thought was only the 4th perfect landing ever.   Huh Huh
      Plus we went for a few more flights up by the American baseball Diamonds, as all of the grass was very high and very thick, and three grass mowers now cutting it.  That is another six flights on top of this mornings 10 flights, so we had our fill, and I got a few more pics.  We meandered back home stopping in the shade and chatting it up with some parks going citzens.   Beautiful day after the sun melted away the clouds.  Trapper was happy just laying in the cool grass and shade and wind, on this early fall day, with the trees just beginning to turn colors.  No gurney needed, and no damage.   Grin Grin

Pic #1 prop runs out high in the air
Pic #2 glided down to a stop on the Pitch
Pic #3  closeup

Get out and fly.   Cheesy

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 177

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2018, 09:09:42 AM »

A good reward for your persistence Richard. Trapper does look very relaxed.

John

flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: October 04, 2018, 03:42:47 PM »

Richard,

Your efforts with this airplane are a great example of persistence, asking questions, adapting, changing things, but mostly, experiencing the joys of Free Flight (Always Capitalize) in a very limited area. 

This does not have the drama of a D Gasser streaking for altitude at 25000 revs plus.  Who cares!!!  Richard and Trapper at the Cricket Wicket having a good time.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2018, 10:42:18 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30"  Early Fall Flights  Oct 8 2018

Thanks John and Dean -  you guys know I always have to go flying if the rare opportunity is there.   I have already beaten the heck out of this plane, why not more ...
     This could be one of the last of the calm (relatively) days when all factors come together (not that often) - no cricket players and not too many people out in Jackson Park in this heat wave (first of three days heatwave) - at least no one standing in the blazing sun (except some nut flying model planes in the direct heat), and no construction either (Canadian Thanksgiving Holiday), and they actually did not mow the grass in the Cricket Wicket - very long thick grass (I remember the short hard as a rock grass in the drought part of summer).   At  3:00 PM  the temp was  82 deg F (feels like 100 deg F),  70% humidity,  and winds from the South at  8 mph, gusting to 12 mph.  
      After three flights, I knew I was losing power - one of the rubber strands was broken.  Quick walk home, changed the motor and went back out.   Very hot summer day - 220 to 230 hand finger winds in the shade of the big full grown trees,  and 10 to 14 second flights  -   about 14 little flights.

Pic #1     612     Steep glide descent
Pic #2     613     Sun lit flight above the trees
Pic #3     614     The crash that broke the tip of the right rear wheel pant off
Pic #4      615     Far away flight
Pic #5      616     Straight in for a soft landing
Pic #6      617     Climbing left

The fall colors should be the best for outside flying pics.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont next reply
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 10:58:55 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2018, 10:50:04 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Early Fall Flights  Oct 8 2018
cont from last reply

One was headed straight for "THE" TREE trunk - just missed it gliding by on final, and lands on the hard  packed gravel parks road.  That wind really does some weird things up there.   Huh Huh  I was throwing up lots of grass and that wind was always changing ...
     I busted the back tip off of the right wheel pant, which caused it to smash the longeron too.  More repairs  Sad   but a few more last pics of me trying to smash her up in her final flights of 2018.
     Now I am thinking of which planes to build this winter, including a 30" glider and a bush plane (skis - the one that caught the "Mad Trapper of Rat River"), and which ones to have ready to go for first thing in the spring ...

Pic #7      618     Soft nose plant on landing.
Pic #8      619     Perfect blue sky flying left.
Pic #9      620     Just missed this tree.
Pic #10     621     Other view.
Pic #11     623     Coming around towards me nicely.
Pic #12     625     Going left away.

Hope the site Server change goes well  Roll Eyes  ... the time is looming ever closer.    Undecided

Still time to fly ...   Cheesy

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 11:00:42 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2018, 11:43:41 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas kit Repair

I started working on the Speedster to get it flight ready.  More work infill planking and tissue repair,  and major work on the right landing rear leg.

Pic #1     0651
Pic #2     0652
Pic #3     0653
Pic #4     0654
Pic #5     0660

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2018, 11:51:28 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas kit Repair

I also made a new rubber motor.   I actually flew 15 flights Oct 22 2018, and 8 flights Oct 24 2018.   I will post the fall flight pictures later.   Time to go flying right now ... wind is blowing 4 mph gust to 6 mph   45 deg F (feels like 43 deg f)  70% humidity

HAPPY HALLOWEEN   Shocked   Grin

Pic #1     0661
Pic #2     0663
Pic #3     0665
Pic #4     0684
Pic #5     0685

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2018, 01:49:42 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" MON OCT 22 2018 FLIGHT REPORT

This was another magical day today,  when all the required element variables were bestowed upon me from the Gods of Free Flight, including nice fall colors, today Monday Oct 22 2018, with the 30" Speedster, after repairs.
     At 1:00 PM the temp was 52 deg F (48)   7 mph gusting to 11 mph, and long, thick, uncut grass.  I got in five perfect flights, but I forgot the camera.   Huh   Oh no!!    Shocked   Then then we went back home and ate and got the camera, and headed right back out at 2:00 PM and did ten more flights with the camera.  At  2:45 PM  the winds were 9 mph from the SW, gusting to 14 mph,  and  54% humidity.
     All flights were finger wound, and the max flight was 14 seconds on 270 finger winds.  The weather was cool and the rubber motor was noticeably weaker.
     I was trying to get in some nice fall pics, and not set any endurance records.   I got to show off to a retired female schoolteacher park friend (has a dog too), and she took a good pic of a launch for me.  She was quite impressed with the flights.

Pic #1     0689     Going left past the pitch.
Pic #2     0690     Speedster peeling off on launch
Pic #3     0692     Me, Speedster, Trapper
Pic #4     0693     Right over the  pitch going right.
Pic #5     0694     Going left above the Spit and Hurri in the distance.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard                                                cont on next Reply
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 02:03:26 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2018, 01:59:53 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" MON OCT 22 2018 FLIGHT REPORT

cont from the last Reply

Today was a total of 15 flights, all finger wound.  The weather was cool and the rubber motor was noticeably weaker.  Flights were about 10 to 12 seconds, all flying 3/4 of a circle to 1 1/4 circle - the longest was 14 seconds on 270 finger winds, and a rubber motor of 3/16" rubber, four strands each 13" long, prop hook to rear peg is 13" also. Yes this is my favorite plane to fly ...  My record from stretch winding in a stooge with much longer motors, is 34 sec followed by two 33 second flights and further down the scale.
     The prop and prop block weigh 17.17 grams, the bare plane weighs 84.50 grams, and the rubber motor and 'S' hook weigh 6.47 grams. Total weight is 108.14 grams. The total wing area is 135.4 square inches. And the "wing loading" is 0.84 grams per square inch. This is well above the target of 0.5 grams per square inch, but this high winger STILL FLIES !!

Pic #1     0695     Going left, coming down.
Pic #2     0696     Just right of the orange leaves, going left.
Pic #3     0697     Plane on pitch facing right.
Pic #4     0698     Plane on pitch facing left.
Pic #5     0700     Right over top.

Get out and fly if you can - winter is coming soon ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard                                                          The end.

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2018, 02:33:34 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" WED OCT 24 2018 FLIGHT REPORT
FALL FLIGHTS

This is the second of three flight reports in four days - MON WED THUR - good thing I flew these when the grass was long, because they cut the grass low on FRIDAY !!
     This turned out to be just like two days ago on Monday -  about the same temp and wind - and all conditions pretty perfect.   Winds were 6 mph gusting to 9 mph  and 50 degrees F,  and still the grass was not cut and was very long.
All of the flights were going well.

Pic #1     0705     Going left over the Pitch end.  The pic is dark because we were in the cloud shade.
Pic #2     0706     Flying left just above Trapper to the right.
Pic #3     0707     Flying left in the shade.
pic #4     0708     Good sky, flying right overhead.
pic #5     0709     CLIMBING UP !!  best pic

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard                                                  continued on next Reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2018, 02:40:01 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" WED OCT 24 2018 FLIGHT REPORT
FALL FLIGHTS

Continued from previous Reply

I got in 7 flights and then broke the rubber    Huh  (fully wound at close to 270 turns),  while winding for the 8th flight.    I should have changed the rubber motor after 20 flights ... or less   Tongue
       The first two flights were circling left and DESCENDING DOWN under full song power   Shocked  , into the, thank goodness, long thick grass.  Luckily no damage.   That was close !!!   I thought it was just a gust of wind that caused that to happen, and when I looked closer, I discovered why.   While doing the tissue repair and handling of the plane, I had bent both elevator tabs full down,  by accident !!!    I fixed that up right away and now it was flying fine.    You really have to check everything quite thoroughly before flying (and after each landing), wiggling struts, etc.      
     In the last pic you can see the broken rubber motor coiled up in a big knot at the rear of the fuse.  You can also see broken tissue and tissue bulging out from the rubber knot.   Luckily, no wood was broken.

Pic #1     0710     GOOD FALL COLORS  -  going left   best pic
Pic #2     0711     Undershot through the translucent covering
Pic #3     0712     The grass is STILL DEEP - they never cut it yet ...
Pic #4     0713     Broken motor coiled up in a big knot.

Seven minute video
The Four Seasons - AUTUMN - by Antonio Vivaldi
here
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fall+by+vivaldi&&view=detail&mid=4359858572CF283A894B4359858572CF283A894B&&FORM=VRDGAR

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard                                                                                The End
« Last Edit: October 28, 2018, 03:12:30 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2018, 10:56:49 PM »

Good reason for ALWAYS winding with a stooge and tube--even on low wound gentle flights.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 29, 2018, 07:20:47 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" THUR OCT 25 2018 FLIGHT REPORT
FALL FLIGHTS

This is the third of three flight Reports MON WED THUR in four days!
     I repaired the tissue overnight, and Lo and Behold, the next day today Thursday Oct 25 2018, the weather again was "flyable" and a perfect day again.   At 1:05 PM  it was  45 deg F (fees like 43 deg F) winds blowing 4 mph from SW, gusting to 6 mph, and  70%  humidity.    That makes 3 out of the last 4 days, of almost unheard of weather and other factors coming together for some real flying.
     I made several flights. 

Pic #1     0719     flying left of the Orange leaves
Pic #2     0720     left side of the "V"
Pic #3     0721     banking left above the Spit and Hurri
Pic #4     0722     high banking left
Pic #5     0723     right over the top of the end of the pitch
Pic #6     0724     missed the launch pic

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard                                 cont on next Reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2018, 07:24:15 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" THUR OCT 25 2018 FLIGHT REPORT
FALL FLIGHTS

cont from last reply

Well, that may be it for good flying conditions as it is getting much colder here now - frosts overnight.   The leaves seem sort of late for changing color, but maybe we will get that "Indian Summer" of warm temperatures and fuller, more vibrant, fall colors, still to come.    We are forecast, by the Indians, for having a mild winter this winter, because the conifer trees are not heavily laden with cones ...  They were right about the hard, cold, snowy winter last winter.
     Well, if we don't see you again this season, "So Long" from the Cricket Wicket grounds, of Jackson Park, Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

Pic #1     0725     steep glide down for landing
Pic #2     0726     thick plush long grass
Pic #3     0727     another shot out the end of the Cricket Wicket
Pic #4     SKELETON GLIDER
Pic #5     SKELETON SPEEDSTER  2   I thought I saw something  ghostly and shadowy, for a split second, sailing along right under the Speedster as it flew right over my head.   Amazingly, the still pic from the digital camera caught the image ...   Shocked   Huh

Fly all you can ...

And Happy Halloween!

LASTWOODSMAN & Trapper
Richard   &  Bird Dog                                  The End

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2018, 08:32:28 AM »

I got to show off to a retired female schoolteacher park friend (has a dog too), and she took a good pic of a launch for me.  She was quite impressed with the flights

You are one charasmatic fellow, Richard. I always wind up looking like a nutty professor at play.

The Threadkiller!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2018, 08:56:37 AM »

You have certainly flown the tissue off your poor old Rearwin Speedster Richard. It probably needs a rest - unless of course you add skis to it?

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 29, 2018, 11:35:24 PM »

Well, boys - the Speedster can rest for the winter now - no more big surgery ...
     As far as skiis go, there is only one skiplane that I have in mind.  It was flown by the famous pioneering Canadian Bush Pilot - "Wop" May.   That skiplane was used, when the best, dog sled team-equipped, Indians and Trappers and Police, could not catch "The Mad Trapper of Rat River", way up in the Northwest Fontier SubArctic near the border of the Northwest Territories and the Yukon, in the middle of winter.    That airplane is the Bellanca CH-300 Pacemaker.   A good topic for a cookup cold be skiplanes or bushplanes ...
     The logo for GoldenAgeReproduction kits is a Bellanca.  I am not sure which model Bellanca it is.   I could be enticed into such a cookup if there exists a laser cut kit ... No?    OK, OK,   ...  a good plan somewhere.

Pic #1      BELLANCA CH 300 PACEMAKER
Pic #2      BELLANCA CH-300 PACEMAKER
Pic #3      BELLANCA PACEMAKER 4 A
Pic #4      BELLANCA PACEMAKER 5
Pic #5      BELLANCA
Pic #6      WOP MAY INFO

Here is a good link to one of many stories about "The Mad Trapper of Rat River"  (Rat meaning the "Muskrat" that was, and still is, trapped for  its luxurious fur)    http://nwtandy.rcsigs.ca/stories/rat_river.htm

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2018, 01:10:46 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30" FLIGHT REPORT  NOV 4 2018

Seeing as we woke up to a wet snowstorm and a half inch of wet snow slush on the cars,  it probably really is the end of the flying season.    Sad     But I did actually go flying twice since last report of Oct 25.   It has been raining  so much lately, and cold and windy,   Huh  and the leaves have really fallen now.
      My Speedster is trimmed out,  and the nose is completely infill planked now -  which is great for holding the plane steady, with a strong forceful grip around the solid nose, in order to put in 270 finger winds quite quickly, if you are just playing around in your local park, and not trying to set any endurance records, or personal bests.  
     It is really easy for me to do, when taking Trapper for a walk, it is easy to just grab the Speedster (and also and a film container of modelling clay),  and walk out to the park for some flying fun from just finger winds on that  four strand  3/16" thirteen inch rubber motor  - especially when the wind is low.
      Since my last report on Thurs Oct 25, it was 10  days for some good weather to arrive,  which came on Sunday Nov 4 2018.    
At 9:15 AM the weather was  41 deg F (feels like 37),   winds blowing from the East at  4mph  gusting to  7 mph,  81% humidity.
     I got in five flights, (the first four were good), the last of which,  crashed after a sideways gust of wind CATAPULTED the Rearwin left into a tight descending spiral dive, hitting the long grass under full power, and emitting that fateful "snapping crack".
     The flights all went nice starting at about 10 sec and up to a nice 16 second fourth flight floating ever so softly into the wind for a nice landing - my buddy and his dog saw it, and he took the pic of the fifth flight launch where you can see how hard that cross wind blew the plane over, into its downward crash.

Pic #1     0751     Yellow leaves.   Yellow Lab.
Pic #2     0752     Speedster diving down, but it recovered.
Pic #3     0753     Flying halfway through a nice circle.  
Pic #4     0754     Shot of fall colors.
Pic #5     0755     Tree top level flight.
Pic #6     0756     BAD Crosswind/Downwind LAUNCH and CRASH

Upon running up to the crashed Speedster, I saw something quite peculiar.  She was sitting on her legs anchored in the long grass,  with the prop spinning quite fast, and making a lot of noise,  and the plane was shuddering and shaking quite violently and rythmically.  Undecided    And then the prop wound down to a stop, and I saw the reason why.    One blade of the black 9" High Torque, squared blade tip, plastic prop, that Dumas supplies, that one blade of the prop was broken right off near the base,  3/8" from the shaft, and the prop was spinning with only one blade.   I thought the sound of the snapping crack was not the sound of balsa wood breaking.    I think the cold, (and old plasitc fatigue), contributed to the propeller's  plastic brittleness.   I think that is now three broken black 9"  props, (and bent prop shafts),  that I have been stealling from other kits (a Cardinal sin if ever there was one).   I need to buy a buNch of these nice props - they are not listed on the Dumas site - anyone know where to get them?

Arriving home at  9:55  AM from the Cricket Wicket,  the temp was now 45 deg F (feels like 41),  Wind blowing from the East at  7 mph, and gustng to  11 mph , 81% humidity.

I also got in one more flying session, albeit short, four days later on Thur Nov 8 2018 - pic and that flight report is next.

Winter is here,   rubber is weaker ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2018, 05:20:15 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"  FLIGHT REPORT NOV 8 2018 Thursday

Today this morning Sat Nov 10 2018, we woke up at  7:25 AM  to a very cold  23 deg F (feels like 9 deg F) - the cold is more penetrating here with the high humidity.

Well, the last flights posted above on Sunday Nov 4 above resulted in a broken 9" kit supplied "high torque" black plastic prop, with squared blade ends.   
     Now, on Thurs Nov 8 2018,  I have substituted a gray 9" helical (is that the right term?) plastic prop, and a new 4 strand 13" long  3/16" rubber motor, and tested it out.
     The forecast was calling for the wind to die down -  at 8:45  AM it was  11 mph gust to 16 .   At  11:45  AM  it was  39  deg F (feels like 33),  the wind was  8 mph from the NW,  gusting to 12 mph, and 60% humidity, so of course, we headed out!!  Bundled up of course.
     I had a total of four good flights - the fifth flight was very low and eventually hit the long grass - no lift from the wings - it must be getting too cold or not enough torque - too soon to tell if the prop change made any difference.
     So ... we packed it up, as I did not want any more landings with a lot of turns left on the prop, and the wind seemed to be picking up.
     We were done at   12:35 PM  -  the winds now  11 mph from NW gusting to 16 mph, temp 41 deg F (feels like 37),  52% humidity.  It WAS too windy anyway - anything over 8 mph is too much wind.

Pic #1     pic of plane and new prop and broken props.  I like the looks of the black prop with the color scheme, better than the gray one.
Pic #2     0763     Speedster with the new  9 1/2" prop, newly paved asphalt park trail
Pic #3     0764     flying under menacing skies
Pic #4     0765     happily flying through the soup of air
Pic #5     0766     coming down for a landing in the thick grass
Pic #6     my flight line supervisor, Trapper, sunset lit pic

And a winter song ...

ANTONIO VIVALDI - L 'Inverno (Winter - full version )  9:54 minutes here
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=winter+vivaldi&&view=detail&mid=509E7A2F238D8AE6789A509E7A2F238D8AE6789A&&FORM=VRDGAR

So long again   Cheesy    from the Cricket Wicket in Jackson Park in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2018, 06:56:34 AM »

I enjoy the photos in this thread,Richard.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   Royal Canadian Navy
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »

Love the pictures and the reports Richard.  This past week has been high winds and the last two days heavy smoke from the fires to our north.

Regarding the props, I would give Dumas a call. When I called them about missing parts in the Beaver kit, they were very helpful and I had the missing balsa in hand in 3 days. I'm thinking of calling tem myself as I'll need a prop for the Doodlebug at some point.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
rgroener
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Switzerland Switzerland

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2018, 01:00:31 AM »

Richard, great pics! Referred to the second picture, you have the best protected Rearwin Speedster Grin

About the first picture... On the screen its Flightgear and you are flying in the area of Sion (LSGS /LSMS)?

Roman
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2018, 02:23:08 AM »

You're establishing a flight record with your Rearwin Richard and your photos are consistently good. Trapper must have earned his wings by now as a guardian.
I guess it will be snowing there soon.
John
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: