Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 17, 2019, 06:32:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas Kit 326 Flight Reports  (Read 8944 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2018, 03:54:06 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"  FLIGHT REPORT  NOV 4 2018

Hi John - seeing as it is REALLY snowing now today,  I might as well submit the final flight report (attempt), of early yesterday afternoon, Wed Nov 14 2018.  
     At 12:35 PM, the temp was  30 deg F (feels like 25), winds were only 4 mph from NW, gusting to 7 mph, and 55% humidity.
     Got in five (sort of) flights, the last one was a  "Doozy".  The first three were steadily losing height from a flat launch, and zinging into the long grass, at speed, with many turns left on the motor.  By the time my Digital camera acquired the shot (a couple of secs holding down the shutter button), the plane was on the grass.   Fourth flight I finally got one to make a half circle.   And the last fifth flight -   I cast up up high, turning left but swooping down on a long arc, looking like it was going to smash straight into the Pitch of the Cricket Wicket - and it starts to recover and to try to transition to climb on the down swoop -  but it was too low, and hits the runway HARD like a slow, skidding,  touch and go.  I could hear the initial hit of the outward-splaying, and compressing, of the wire reinforced, springy landing gear, as it settled pretty solidly on a one or two foot long skid, loading up the spring force of the wire, and as the bottom of the fuse bounces ever so slightly, off of the artificial turf,  and then with the LG wire springing back down,  thereby pushing and launching the plane airborne again, all the while flying forward, and it bounced up and popped up about a foot and a half from the artificial runway,   Grin   and the plane flew at that height out towards the end of the Pitch on the grass to the left, crashes down, and finally rips off the left wheel pant, that was loosened up from the hard touch and go.   Time for a hibernation rest now.   This could have been way more disastrous.  Huh
     So here are the last pics of the season (not the greatest ...)   My rubber motor seems to freeze up quickly on the walk out there.  I wonder how the kids flew in the winter in the olden days ...

Pic #1    0817     Down on the grass too quick for the pic
Pic #2    0818     Just right of the Spit, glidepath downwards
Pic #3    0819     Fourth flight - soft landing in the leaves
Pic #4    0820     Fifth Flight -  right after the BOUNCE back into the air from a hard touch n go, right on the artificial "Pitch"
Pic #5    0821 ROT & SNIP     Final resting spot - broken off left wheel pant strut beside left wheel on grass
Pic #6    0829     She looks very "non-scale",  with just a bare  1/32" left side LG wire ...

The End

Aufwiedersehen, Frohliche Weinachsten, und eine Gleichliches Neues Jahre
LASTWOODSMAN & Trapper   Smiley
Richard_
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas Kit 326 Flight Reports

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 15, 2018, 04:56:06 PM »

Back to the fire and the workshop for you and Trapper, Richard.
John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2019, 10:32:38 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"  Dumas kit 326

REPAIRS AFTER NOV 14 2018 FLIGHTS

Well, Nov 14 2018  was the last day flying the Speedster.   It needed some repairs that were left undone - until now that is - the unseasonably cold weather is breaking and spring could arrive now real quick.  I had better get the Speedster ready, as I will not be able to forgive myself, if one of those perfect days comes, and the plane is not ready.   So we took a break from the 20" Osprey Glider, and started on the Speedster repairs.

Pic #1      1582     Left landing gear trouser needs reinforcing and re-installation, like the right side that is already done.

Pic #2     1583     Underside view showing Landing gear wire.

Pic #3     1584     Mandrake and Bloodroot work patching up tissue areas.

Pic #4     1585     M and B clamp down two  1/16"  hard balsa planks together, that were just double white glued, and held between two larger pieces of balsa for the clamping.

I am really starting to look forward to the early spring flights in our Cricket grounds, in Jackson Park, when the grass grows so high and fast, the City Parks grass mowers cannot keep up with cutting it  ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2019, 04:41:52 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"  Dumas kit

The landing gear must be able to withstand a dead stop crash, by distributing the force between the  1/32"  landing gear wire, bending half way down, and between the balsa structure and reinforcements.

Pic #1     1587     The mounting plank in the foreground is traced, for gluing.   Mandrake and Bloodroot try to straighten out the upper half of the Landing Gear wire, with the might of their Cyborg forearms.

Pic #2     1588     They have to bend the wire in different directions, to get it straight.

pic #3     1591     Bloodroot sets up a little  fixture/jig ,  for tricky gluing of the upper trouser edge, to the outline on the reinforcement plank lamination.

Pic #4     1593     The wood stained triangular balsa Trouser, is now double white glued to the reinforcement plank lams, and is solidly blocked up to dry.

Mandrake and Bloodroot now take out the rubber motor out of the Speedster fuselage, to examine it for nicks and splits.

Pic #5     1595     Mandrake "When I stretch the rubber motor out, you pull the dowel"
Bloodroot  "Don't wrap that rope around your hand like that Drake -  it is FAI Tan 2 rubber."
Mandrake  "Never mind Blood -   Pull!"

Pic #6     1596      Mandrake "HELP" ...  "get me  out."
Bloodroot   "That's what you get."
Mandrake  "C'mon - I'm stuck!"
Bloodroot  "What are you looking for in there?"
Mandrake  "I think I got a broken nose - I'm cut and bleeding ..."
Bloodroot   "Oh suck it up soldier!  Hey, look, I got the dowel !!! "

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2019, 06:58:13 PM »

Cheesy Cheesy
John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2019, 12:02:48 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"  Dumas kit

Progress ...

Pic #1     1597     Test Fitting of the LH Trouser (on left) that has the new bare balsa lamination buildup reinforcement planking.   Both left and right side need those two extra thin strips on top.

Pic #2     1598     Only the first half of the Landing Gear wire (from the fuse), will be epoxied into the trough.

Pic #3     1599     Different view.

Pic #4     1604     Mandrake and bloodroot examine the strands of the rubber motor.    Mandrake is still mad and sulking (Bloodroot called him a "snowflake").   Angry

Pic #5     1606     Here is the broken off Left Hand balsa Trouser to work on.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2019, 01:06:32 AM »

Pic #1     1613     Mandrake and Bloodroot finish up the staining of everything wood.

Pic #2     1611     The trouser is all stained up and needs to dry overnight.   You can see I sanded in a "fuse body curvature" into the plank lam reinforcement.

pic #3     1607     The "Golden Oak" wood stain really brought out the color - and it seemed to reactivate the Krylon Clear Gloss I had sprayed on originally.   Test fit and look with the new LH trouser.   Both left and right trousers have the built up plank lamination extensions.

Pic #4     1608     It looks almost like fresh Krylon rattle can spray.

Pic #5     1609     The struts and fuse infil planking were also stained.

Pic #6     1610     Top view -  epoxy glue tomorrow after it all the stain and clear gloss dries.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2019, 09:59:52 PM »

Richard you are a great example of persistence and the ability to "improvise, adapt, and overcome".
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2019, 09:00:32 PM »

Agreed. All ready for another flying session at the infamous cricket oval.

Happy flying.
John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2019, 12:13:24 AM »

Thanks for the uplifting words flydean1 and John  -  very motivating for me.   Smiley   The stain I painted onto the old dried Krylon clear coats, not only reactivated it,  but it has not dried now in two days.  It is still very tacky and very sticky.   I have had it in the bathroom with the door closed and nice and warm for those two days, so I will wait further.
     In the meantime,  I think I will make a simple "table stooge" just for the Rearwin Speedster,  that I can just clamp down to my building board table ( plywood , screws ),  and try some test runs on these nice long, different sized rubber motors, that I already made up, and make notes of the prop run times.  
     Spring is just about to really break.  Red winged Blackbirds have been back for about 4 days.  The ground is still cold and hard and frozen in the mornings, and the dormant grass is still matted down flat, but we have some very warm weather coming up ...

Pic     1634     of the "sticky" Speedster in the "dry" room.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2019, 08:16:21 PM »

Wind is the main hassle here. however I can duck across to the local park just before Sunset when it dies off usually and have a quick flight with a small (16"WS) Christen Eagle biplane. Not enough space for FF unfortunately.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: March 14, 2019, 12:04:17 PM »

Hi John.  High wind is always a problem here too.   Undecided   And the high humidity, which can really cause your model to lose altitude and not be able to hold level flight when the tissue sags and wrinkles.
     It was up to 50 deg F yesterday Wednesday March 13 2019,  with fine mist rain all morning, then sun to evaporate that water, and the grass was getting fluffy again.  I got home at sundown with the dog  48 deg F (feels like 45) and the wind only 7 mph from the SE  and 87% humidity.   I did what you do John.   I grabbed the  18" Air Camper and the dog and headed back out into the twilight gloaming of the Cricket Wicket Oval for a couple of late evening flights    Five flights of 150 to 160 hand winds each -  got one good first flight of 7 seconds, perfect 7/8  circle left, then the tissue got saggier and more winkled, and the flights were going down into the grass from no lift, and it got too dark.   But I had to try it.   Here is a couple of lousy night pics.    At least it was in the air.   Smiley
     I then went home and made a simpleton   Lips sealed  Tongue  table/bench stooge for the  30"  Rearwin Speedster.   Boy did it ever take a lot of drilling over and over to get the 1/16"  holes lined up on the vertical "ears", that hold the horizontal  1/16"  music wire, that holds the aluminum tube dowel of the fuselage, securely in the stooge for winding.

Pic #1     1640     In the middle just under the tree top line, going left.
Pic #2     1641     Descending too sharply.
Pic #3     1643     Flight Supervisor Trapper looking back
Pic #4     1648     Table Stooge -  gotta ink on those crosshair circles on the ears, to help find the hole.
Pic #5     1647     Another view
Pic #6     1646     Speedster in the Table Stooge

The Cricket Wicket Oval is approximately 130 yards by 110 yards.  How big is your little park flying field John?

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: March 15, 2019, 05:10:57 AM »

I probably have around a 50m radius to fly in but need to watch out for the trees. The Christensen is really a Indoor Model and doesn't like more than the most gentle of breezes. It has a 5" dia prop driven by a geared coreless motor(about 8mm dia I think). Plenty of power but also stacks of torque. turns like a demon to the left and sedately to the right. I have it tamed somewhat with a bit of right rudder trim which helps. It's also very sensitive on elevator and excessive elevator slows it down. Unfortunately I can't easily lengthen the elevator horn and the simple 5 channel RC transmitter doesn't have servo adjustment - just reverse. it's almost like flying a small Camel. when on step it does fly nicely and my aim is to take off on the foot path through the park and land on it as well. I manage every now and then.

BTW I can't fly when it  is as dark as it is in your pics. Smiley

have fun
John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2019, 12:10:54 AM »

ENGINE RUN SHOP TESTS

Mandrake and Bloodroot are ordered to do Powertrain Testing and Evaluations, for Certification prior to the new flying season.   They pull out the old unused (for the most part) larger more powerful rubber motors from last year, to test in the Speedster anchored in the new Shop Bench Stooge they built.   The motors were wound almost to the limit of the winder handle not being able to physically crank in any more turns.   The different motor runs are charted in Pic # 4  .

Pic #1     1653     The motors and tools are readied for the testing.
pic #2     1650     The prop is timed while spinning.
Pic #3     1651     Nose block pops out at the end of the power run.
Pic #4     1657     Close up of the Chart of results.
Pic #5     1663     Mandrake and Bloodroot pack things up at the end of the work day.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2019, 01:46:01 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30" Dumas kit

LEFT TROUSER GLUED TO THE LANDING GEAR WIRE

The trouser glued on pretty easily -   pushed onto the landing gear wire into the trough full of 5 min Epoxy.

Pic #1     1664     The left Trouser is ready for 5 min Epoxy gluing.

Pic #2     1665     Clear Epoxy down two thirds of the trough.

Pic #3     1667     The last third of the Landing Gear wire is free to bend on landing -  very easy to bend back.

pic #4     1669     The reinforcement planking sits flush to the fuse and the wing strut attachment at the fuse.

Pic #5     1670     Side view.

Pic #6     1671     Other side.  The reinforcement planks on the Trouser sits right on top of the fuselage infill planking, to distribute the force of landing hard.

There has been a lot of work  Undecided  and extra reinforcing on the landing gear and struts, to see if it can take a hard   Tongue  landing ...  now it is ready to try ...  we just need the motor and prop and check the balance, then to the park with the winding stooge ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2019, 10:59:03 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas kit

REPAIRS ARE FINISHED AFTER NOV 14 2018 FLIGHTS

Pic #1     1677     Mandrake  and Bloodroot  haul out the Coffee Jar pillars used to check the balance.   There is one white round head pin, taped onto each lid, to rest the wingtips on.

Pic #2     1680     M and B check the balance point CG (center of gravity)as marked on the plan.    There is a small black dot on the upper rear spar of the wing, right beside the number 4 of the call sign.   Bloodroot waves the OK.  It balances right on the mark with the 12 inch motor in it.   

Beauty (?) pics of a war hardened, weary, repaired (more than once),  30" Rearwin Speedster, ready to fly once again.   

Pic #3     1672
Pic #4     1673
Pic #5     1674
Pic #6     1675

Now to the test glides ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2019, 09:25:16 PM »

b]REARWIN SPEEDSTER[/b]  30" Dumas kit

FIRST FLIGHT REPORT OF 2019  MONDAY MARCH 18 2019

After the above repairs and balance check yesterday, I knew the wind was forecast for about 6 or 8 mph max the next two days.   So at about 3:15 PM today, Monday March 18 2019,  I grabbed the Speedster and a film canister of modeling clay weight (in case I needed it), and I walked out to the Cricket Wicket.  The wind was blowing right through the trees which have no leaves yet.  The grass was starting to get fluffy, but was still dormant for the most part, and the ground dirt under the grass was moist and soft.
     The temp was 39 deg F (feels like34), the winds were 9 mph from the South West, gusting to 14 mph,  and most of all, the humidity was only  52%.   I made only two flights.   The first alongside the tree line near the stands, on the leeward side (didn't do any good because the wind just blew through the trees), that first flight into the wind, with 80 handwinds, with a level launch.  I wanted to see if it could hold level flight.  I got a perfect 6 second flight, to a perfect soft landing, and no bending of the landing gear.  There was a side aspect of the wind, and I could see the Speedster, with its big swooping wings, holding firm to the slight crosswind, and keeping a straight line until landing.   I was very happy, as I had not changed any weight or anything from last year, and it flew fine so far.
      Then I decided to try the second flight launching downwind along the trees on 80 hand winds.  Another perfect six second flight, and curving slightly left (like it always has), but a little harder landing, and only one wheelpant wire was bent a little at the ankle.  I have the very ends of the Trousers chopped off a little bit, where they meet the Wheel Pants.  This leaves enough room to easily bend back the Landing Gear Wire, at this "ankle point".   So we went home, as I forgot to put my Scandisc into the camera before I left, and I knew tomorrow Tuesday March 19 would be the only low wind forcast day for about a week.
     On the walk home I mishandled the plane and broke the top wing tissue, left side near the fuse - I just glued a new patch right over all the tears, and it came out fine, no shrinking even.
     Sorry, no in-flight pics, but I should get some tomorrow, and I should practise these flights in my real Winding Stooge.
     So, for what it is worth, here are a few pics of what my flying field Cricket Wicket Oval,  110 yard by 130 yards appx.,  looks like right now.
     The two Cooper's Hawks are back flying around, and the big early flocks of Robins are stoppping in on the huge area of "unsprayed" turf grass, which is Jackson Park, and the multitude of worms that provide their food.  The first Robins came about a week ago.

Pic #1     1691     Pic from NE corner of the Wicket.  
Pic #2     1692     Pic from SE corner of the Wicket.
Pic #3     1693     Closeup of Trapper and the grass depth.
Pic #4     1694     Pic from SW corner.
Pic #5     1695     Another pic from the SW corner - same tree
Pic #6     1696     Speedster with new wing patch.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2019, 09:40:40 PM »

Wow, flying over grass! Looks good, and sounds good, Last Woodsman. Still a foot on the ground here and 4 foot high icy banks where I've plowed. No robins, though I hear a few bluejays. The Speedster is cool!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: March 19, 2019, 06:10:13 AM »

That will help end the cabin fever Richard. Good work. Glad to see that it is still flying well.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: March 19, 2019, 04:47:54 PM »

SECOND FLIGHT REPORT OF 2019  TUESDAY MARCH 19 2019

Well, I ran the dog at  8:30 AM when it was still  30 deg F.   Got home and kept waiting and wishing for the temp to warm up.  We could not wait any longer, and at 10:25 AM, I grabbed the Speedster and the dog and some clay and out we went to the Cricket Oval -  weather sunny, 36 deg F (feels like 36),  winds blowing only  4 mph  from the West, gusting to  7 mph,  and only  60% humidity !!   When we got home at noon, it was  39 deg f (36),  Wind 4 mph from the West gustilng to 7 mph, and 60% humidity.
     We got four good flying pics in six flights all on 300 hand winds, and all flights lasting from 13 to 15 seconds, all launched downwind and turning left for  3/4 circles up to one full circle, and landing into the wind nice and fairly softly, with only minor bends on the landing gear wire at the "ankle", that were easily bent back into position.  When winding for flight #7, I stretched out the rubber to see if the winds were coming along nice, and I had a big surprise at the motor that we already checked for nicks etc.

Pic #1     1704     30" SPEEDSTER MOTOR WRITTEN SHEET

Pic #2     1697     Launched downwind and turning left.   The first flight at full 300 winds was the best, because there were three older parks workers working on the diamonds in the park that were talking to me, and wanted to see it fly.   I told them I had to get in postion for a downwind launch, and we headed back to the Cricket Wicket.  One guy was whipping off the names of the planes surfaces.  It was a perfect 15 sec flight to the softest landing, teeters nose down for a few seconds, then up onto its legs, looking proud.

Pic #3     1698     Same as above.

Pic #4     1699     End of a nice soft landing.

Pic #5     1700     Close up -  notice the GRASS HEIGHT.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

cont on next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: March 19, 2019, 04:53:34 PM »

SECOND FLIGHT REPORT OF 2019  TUESDAY MARCH 19 2019
cont from previous reply

The fourth flight was pretty scary -  from a bad launch pointing upwards at too high of an angle,   it flew way out up high, and tried going into its left turn,  and the wind drove it left and down into a long descending arc on its turn, that would have hit the ground, except those  135.4 sq inches of lifting wing surface kicked in and cleared the ground coming back into the wind, risilng for about 7 (seven) feet, and then to a slow descending landing into the wind.

Pic #6     1701     Flying right over the Spitfire and Hurricane Replicas in the background.

Pic #7     1702     The Speedster flies again in only its second season.  BEST PIC

Pic #8     1703     Started winding for the  7th flight and pulled out the rubber for a look at the knots -   time to go home.

Pic #9     1705     Believe it or not, this is what the motor looked like back at home -  one clean break, and three notches in the strands !!    Huh   ? Must have been the cold??

Pic #10     Hello from my buddy up North.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2019, 09:34:09 PM »

This is why you should always use a winding tube, even on low winds.  Are you reading this Monz?
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: March 22, 2019, 05:46:04 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30"  Dumas kit

NEW MOTOR INSTALLATION
        FRIDAY MARCH 22 2019

The weather looks really promising  Wink   for the next two days maybe -  sunny and max wind of 7 or 8 mph and 46 deg F and 50 deg F.   Flying days like this don't come often   Huh   , and the grass is soft and fluffy, half the stems are green and the other half yellow brown, and it is relatively long, as they did not mow the last cut of grass at the end of the year, last year.  Time now to install the  13" motor.   Mandrake and Bloodroot get to work at the Speedster Maintanance Hangar..  First they have to remove the current nicked and broken motor.

Pic #1     1725     Mandrake and Bloodroot, Cyborg Super Soldiers from the future, gather the tools needed.   The broken motor has an "S" hook.   Tools laid out are  a 1/8"  wooden dowel,  "Handy Twine" cotton string, a long "Extractor" tool made from a  1/8" dowel, some masking tape and a bit of twisted wire for a hook, for grabbing deep inside the fuselage - a most necessary  tool in the field,  and ... the new 13" motor (which has a Crocket Hook).

Pic #2     1716     Here Mandrake hooks the "Extractor" onto the "S" hook small hole, and pulls the rubber motor out far enough for Bloodroot to slide in the  2 1/2"  wooden 1/8" dowel, through the large hole of the "S" hook.

Pic #3     1716      Closeup of the above.  (not a great pic ...)

Pic #4     1720     With the dowel in place holding the end of the motor and S hook sticking out the fuse nose, Blood ties on a long piece of string, to the small hole of the S hook.

Pic #5     1723     With the prop block removed, the plan is to have Mandrake pull out the motor with the extractor far enough for Blood to pull out the dowel from the S hook.  Mandrake says  "When I pull out the motor, you pull out the dowel when I say OK, OK?'

Pic #6     1724    Mandrake   "Blood, you simpleton Cyborg - NOT YET !!  Get me out of here!"
Blood  "You said OK ...     Look, I got the dowel!"   Grin

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: March 23, 2019, 10:16:42 AM »

NEW MOTOR INSTALLATION
         SATURDAY MARCH 23 2019

Mandrake and Bloodroot worked late into the night, on the new motor installation. 

Pic #1     1726     Bloodroot sets the rear of the rubber motor into the slots on the rubber motor "Pushing Stick".

Pic #2     1730     Mandrake ties a length of string twine to the small hole of the Crocket Hook, and pulls the rubber motor taught in the Pushing Stick.

Pic #3     1734     The string is now green masking taped by Mandrake to the Pushing Stick,  and the motor is secure enough to stick down the  fuselage without falling off,  to line up the rear motor peg dowel of the fuse.

Pic #4     1736     Here Bloodroot has the motor lined up.   Mandrake  stands at the ready to insert the rear aluminum motor peg through the fuse, and through the rubber motor loops, and through the Pushing Stick end "fingers",  and through the motor peg hole on the other side of the fuse.

Pic #5     1738   M and B inked on a black line on the Pushing Stick, to line up with the fuse front and rear motor peg.  Bloodroot pushed the motor in as far as the line,  everything lines up at the rear of the fuse, and Mandrake inserts the rear aluminum motor peg.

Pic #6     1742     Now M and B pull out the Pushing Stick, leaving the Rubber Motor neatly wrapped around the rear motor peg and in position.  All they have to do now, is pull the string out to pull the end of the motor with the Crocket Hook, out of the fuse nose a bit, install the nosebock and prop hook to the Crocket Hook, cut off the string, and ease the noseblock into position in the fuse nose, and we are ready to fly!!

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

PS    It was 25 deg F (feels like 16 deg F), and frost on the grass, at 9:00 AM, winds 8 mph from NW gusting to 12 mph, 74% humidity ... waiting for it to warm up ...

vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: March 23, 2019, 03:19:25 PM »

LW did those guys wash and lube the motor, and do the break-in stretches before they started in with their forked battering ram?  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: