Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 18, 2019, 05:43:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas Kit 326 Flight Reports  (Read 8436 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 177

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2019, 08:19:02 PM »

Back from the dead! Well done. I don't think you will have any trim problems with your attention to alignment accuracy.

Good luck.

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2019, 08:28:26 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"  Dumas Kit

FLIGHT REPORT #11
      SUNDAY MAY 5 2019
Six Flights     Pics  2142  to  2157

Thanks Dan and John.
     On the walk out with the dog first thing in the morning,  I saw the arrival of a northerly migrating  "Red Admiral"  butterfly, on the light post  on the corner.   Until then I had only see three whites and one brown back in the butterfly meadows.   Surely this was a good  Wink omen.          And in this same day,  I did find the female Cooper's Hawk moving around on her new tree nest way up high.   I will be watching that nest with binoculars this summer.    
      We got home, and the weather was great.  We grabbed the plane and some clay weight, and headed out right away, as the Auxiliary Police volunteers are starting around noon in the park now, and patrol until dark, and the Cricket guys would be coming around noon until dark.
     We beat the Cricket players who later on, did take over the Cricket Field in the early afternoon.  It was so wet, I thought they would not play, but they did.
     This was the first flights since the broken off wing crash on  April 22 2019 in Reply #10 above.    All  the flights were long half circles mostly,  from  10 seconds on 200 winds, up to 20 seconds on  250 winds.    
Weather  9:15  AM   Sunny  52 deg F (50),   winds blowing from the North at 4 mph, gusting to 7 mph,  71% humidity.
     At least I got a couple of good early spring flying days in, and a some nice pics.  The weather since has been cold, windy, and rainy.  

Pic #1     2142     The walkout through Jackson Park to the Cricket Field.
Pic #2     2143     The Flower Garden has wine colored tulips.
Pic #3     2144     There is no wind on the flag by the replica Spit and Hurri.
Pic #4     2145     No wind and the Rearwin.
pic #5     2146    On the runway ready for the first test flight.
Pic #6     2147     Out flying just between the two Spruce trees.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont. on next Reply
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30" Dumas Kit 326 Flight Reports
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 09:13:32 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2019, 09:02:51 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER   30" Dumas Kit

FLIGHT REPORT #11       SUNDAY MAY 5 2019
Six Flights      
cont from prev Reply

These flight were all finger winds.     Motor,  8 strands of 3/32"  rubber,   12 inches long, prop hook to rear peg is  13 inches.

Pic #1     2148     Coming through the bare tree on the right.
Pic #2     2149     Going straight for Trapper -  he is watching it !
Pic #3     2150     Trapper laughs at the planted soft landing, in the long grass.
Pic #4     2151     Way up high and coming down fast on final landing approach.   I was suddenly hoping for a runway landing, when it winds down the prop and turns to the right, and starts going straight down the runway.
Pic #5     2152    It flared perfectly as the prop ran down,  and GREASED THE LAST SIX FEET OF THE RUNWAY PITCH.
Pic #6     2153     And rolls to a stop just off the end of the Pitch, with the prop spinning to a stop just before I could get a pic.

Flight #1     200 winds   10 sec    Launched from SE, wind from North
Flight #2     200 winds   12 sec     Perfect  1 1/2  circle, landing with the wilnd from the North.     
Flight #3     250 winds,   10 sec     3/4  circle,  going right for Trapper
Flight #4     250 winds    20  sec     BEST FLIGHT  AND GREASES RUNWAY
Flight #5     250 winds    14 sec     Perfect long  1/2  circle way out there.
Flight #6     250  winds   18 sec     3/4 circle,  perfect landing.  I had launched from the SE because the wilnd had changed to the SE.

The weather was now at  10:50  AM,    55 deg F (55),  winds blowing from the North East at  4 mph, gusting to 6 mph,  67% humidity.   I thought we had better stop,  and maybe come back later with the stooge and a long motor, and even if the Cricket guys took over, there was tomorrow morning with no wind also ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont.

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2019, 09:26:34 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER 30"  Dumas Kit

cont. from prev Reply
FLIGHT REPORT #11       SUNDAY MAY 5 2019
Six Flights    
cont from prev Reply

And here are the last four pics.

Pic #1   2054     Coming down low on landing.  The yellow dandelions have taken over the grass.
Pic #2    2055     Zooming along at tree top level.
Pic #3     2057    Another great day - no damage ...  deep grass ...
Pic #4     Red Admiral 2 Butterfly

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

The end of Flight Report #11 May 5 2019
Still to post -  Flight Report #12  from May 6 2019
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 10:14:35 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: May 12, 2019, 11:59:57 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER   30"   Dumas Kit

FLIGHT REPORT #12                    MONDAY MAY 6 2019

Today makes two flying days in a row.  Cool   I got in 11  flights and the Rearwin worked fine, after re-attaching the left wing.   All flights were about  3/4  circle to one circle - all finger wound from 200 winds to about 250 winds,  giving  13 to 18 second flights.   Flight #6 was a BAD LAUNCH -  it went up too high, stalls, comes down and does not recover in time and CRASHES HARD WITH A LOUD CRACKING CRUNCH,  full song,  into the turf,  where there was not a lot of grass.   There was a tissue tear at the top of the wing center section along the left root rib.   I wiggled everything, but it all felt solid, so I kept flying, as the damage was not evident until I removed the tissue later.
     So anyways, here are some nice spring pics of Flight Report #12,  after which, the Rearwin had to go back into the jig in the Hangar for Mandrake and Bloodroot to work on ...

Weather   11:45  AM    68 deg F (68), winds blowing from the West at 6 mph, gusting to 9 mph,  49% humidity.

Pic #1     2161     The walk out.  Half of the trees have leaves started.
Pic #2     2162     They just mowed my Cricket grass flying field.
Pic #3     2164     Noseplant flip.
Pic #4     2165     Is that a City Parks Worker truck,  OR,  City By-Law Officer truck ?   Huh Huh  Shocked   driving by ...
Pic #5     2166     In the big Willow going left.
pic #6     2167     Glidepath angle.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: May 12, 2019, 12:14:21 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER   30"  Dumas Kit

FLIGHT REPORT #12                     MONDAY MAY 6 2019
cont from prev reply

Pic #1     2168     The Rearwin is King,  patrolling around the Cricket Field, surveying its territory.
Pic #2     2169     Now the Grassmower guys drives by re-cutting the thick matted cut grass lines he already cut - thankfully he took off.
Pic #3     2170     The proud Speedster soars through the gray skies of spring.
Pic #4     2171     Lots of green scenery.
Pic #5     2172     This is the outward result of the Crash -  the "tissue tear" -  but it was much more damage than that inside ...
Pic #6     2173     Buzzing right along.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont

MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 83

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: May 12, 2019, 12:19:32 PM »

Pic #3 is a great shot Richard.  You're certainly getting your money's worth out of that Rearwin - there's a lot to be said for sticking with a model till it becomes like an old friend.

Mike
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: May 12, 2019, 12:23:17 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER   30" Dumas Kit

FLIGHT REPORT #12               MONDAY MAY 6 2019
cont from prev reply

And the last six pics.   Two flying days in a row does not come by very often ...  at least I did not break the wing off again ...    Grin

Pic #1     2174     Perfect soft landing.
Pic #2     2175     Gray skies and scenery.
pic #3     2176     Final landing stop in deep fluffy grass.
Pic #4     2177     Going left low over the "Pitch".
Pic #5     2178     Another soft dream landing.
Pic #6     2179      Flower garden Tulips and grass growing up through the straw.

I thought it was a good set of flights, and I subconsciously tried to convince myself, that the crunch of the crash, was just the tissue tear breaking, but once it was in the jig,  with the tissue cut out, there was more damage requiring further surgery.
     Repairs to follow.  

Get outside and fly !!!

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
End of Flight Report #12

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: May 13, 2019, 11:48:31 AM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER   30"   Dumas Kit

REPAIRS AFTER MAY 6 2019  CRASH in Flight Report #12

Pic #1     2185     Mandrake and Bloodroot set up the four fuse plate jigs, lower the Rearwin into place,  and examine the tissue tear and damage.

Pic #2     2186     They secure the plane nice and tight using elastics stretched over the fuse,  and are attached/grounded to round head pins that are stuck sideways into the building board.

Pic #3     2187      The white crossmember by the toothpic was broken out of its glue joint,  and there is (I discovered after I was done) a vertical complete cross grain break of the center rib front, just under all of the window glazing, that I cannot get to, unless I replace that one piece window again (which is all gummed up on the inside from the lubed rubber motor spitting off the lube).  So we just started gluing in some heavy duty white balsa supports, and hope for the best. 

Pic #4     2189     All of the supports are now in.   Bloodroot sizes up and cuts out some "stress monocoque" tissue covering for added strength.

Pic #5     2191     A single small bead of thinned white glue (70% glue, 30% water), was painted down on the edges, and the tissue carefully placed into position and lightly pressed down -  that is all glue you need - I press down all the wrinkles, with a small moistened edge of balsa.   Then Bloodroot gets that small brush loaded with very thin white glue to water mixture - almost pure water - and he paints the edges very carefully to seal the deal.

Pic #6     2193   All has dried overnight.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: May 13, 2019, 11:56:40 AM »

REPAIRS AFTER MAY 6 2019  CRASH in Flight Report #12
cont from prev Reply.

Pic #1     2194     Front view.
Pic #2     2195     Mandrake and Bloodroot shake hands after another job well done. They are lefties.
Pic #3     2209     Ready to fly.
Pic #4     WEATHER FORECAST  TUESDAY MAY 14 2019   Weather forecast for tomorrow Tues may 14 2019.   Time to make a brand new 22" motor, stretch it,  lube it,  test some motor runs in the plane on the table stooge,  and bring to the field, my winding stooge and back pack, and force myself to start with low winds and work my way up to flights in the 20 seconds, or so, and if all is good,  start cranking in some real winds,  and try to get past 30 seconds -  if I get 30 seconds, the next flight will be full turns to try and beat 43 seconds  ....

Bare Plane - no motor, includes prop block and prop and rear peg
                                                   =    105.58 grams
12" motor 4 strands of 3/16"           =   6.19  grams
Total all up Weight                            =    111.77  grams
Total Wing Area                                 =     135.4  square inches

Total wing loading   weight divided by wing area  
                                    111.77 grams  /  135.4  square inches

equals  0.83 grams   per square inch, and it still flies!!

I did get this Rearwin out for its  13th flight Report on Sat May 11 2019,  for 6 flights all finger wound.   Here is a link to these flights,   in  Reply 1068 and Reply 1069,   in "Went flying",  Your Birds in Flight, General Forum,  here https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=438.msg242204#new
Now my log is all caught up.   Time to get my motors in order ...

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: May 13, 2019, 09:00:51 PM »

What a run you've had with that model Richard. It must have set a record for number of flights.

John
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2019, 09:44:55 PM »

A real education can be had by going back to the beginning.  You can follow how Richard learned about such things as the forward peg, winding tubes, model structure (especially learning how to make landing gear survive) and flight trimming.

He has gotten more flying out of that battered but still proud Rearwin than most of us would have.

Richard is a real inspiration for us all.
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: May 14, 2019, 03:39:34 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER    30"   Dumas Kit

FLIGHT REPORT #14
         TUES MAY 14 2019

Thanks for the nice comments John and flydean1.   This Free Flight rubber Hobby just happened to fit right in with me taking my dog out to the park, for walks,  3, 4, 5 times a day.   So that is the main reason why I am a dedicated small park flyer ...

NEW MOTOR AND BENCH TESTS

Last night,  Mon May 13 2019,  we worked late building a new motor, with the last of my half pound of  3/16" rubber.   Good thing is that I also just got my mail order "Tracking Number" of my big order coming from George at Volare.  
     This is the motor we made and installed,  in preparation for the weather forecast coming true ... today on the morning of Tues May 14 2019.

Pic #1     2212     That is the last of my  3/16" rubber.    My old motors already made up.
Pic #2     2213     Mandrake and Bloodroot "string bind" the ends of the rubber motor.
Pic #3     2220     The motor is  22"  long.
Pic #4     2221     Mandrake and Bloodroot stretch and lube the motor.
Pic #5     2222     The new  22"  four strand  3/16"  motor is installed for bench stretch-winding tests.
Pic #6     2250     Bench Test Results

Flights coming up ...

LASSTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: May 16, 2019, 09:57:13 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER    30"   Dumas Kit

FLIGHT REPORT #14          TUES MAY 14 2019

SEVEN FLIGHTS  STRETCH WOUND IN THE STOOGE

At  10:15 AM Tues May 14 2019 was 48 deg F (45),  with winds blowing from the NorthWest at 6 mph, gusting to 9 mph,  58% humidity.    This is what I have been waiting for ...  all winter ... and the grass was still not mowed yet (it was to be mowed the very next day).
     We left the apt at 10:45, packed up with the winding stooge and a 15:1 winder, and a fresh, stretched and lubed, four strand, 22 inches long,  3/16"  motor (prop hook to rear pegs is 13"),  we made the night before.

Pic #1     2227     The walk out.  This is the tree with the Cooper's Hawk nest.  I have seen her tail sticking out from the nest many times when she is laying and incubating.
Pic #2     2228     This is the top of that tree with the nest.
Pic #3     2229     And here are the Monarch trees of Jackson Park -  three Metasequoia or Dawn Redwood trees (Metasequoia glyptostroboides), with their linear deciduous needles just starting to grow out.
Pic #4     2230     Here is my setup on the Cricket field.    I lift that pink ribbon into the air, to be sure which way the wind really is blowing before launch.
pic #5     2231     Flight #2     Trapper is watching it finally starting to climb on launch.
Pic #6     2232     Flight #2    Here it is coning back towards me, from circling left,  3/4  of a circle into the flight. 

Flight #1     330 winds     5 seconds   Short sluggish flight out and descending down -   not enough uuuuummmfff !!   it takes a couple of  seconds for the plane to catch up to the wind, and power further through it, into the "relative wind" .

Flight #2     495 winds     10 seconds     Flew left  3/4  circle.   It was a downwind launch Pic 2231,  that barely made it up without hitting the ground.   I put more clear Scotch tape on the noseblock bottom to hold a bit more downthrust.

Flight #3     600 winds     4 seconds and down into the grass on the down wind launch.  It needs more lift or more winds.

Flight #4      750 winds     27 seconds  BEST FLIGHT OF THE DAY  1 1/4 circles, three pics, the last one sitting.   2233   2234   2235
2233     Coming back to me, and flying TOO CLOSE TO THE TREE LINE
2234     Here it goes flying right back in behind me just in front of both stands ...  close call   Huh
2235     where it landed
This flight was too close to the trees, so I moved out further into the field for the next launch.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont.

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2019, 10:05:12 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER   30" Dumas Kit

FLIGHT REPORT #14          TUES MAY 14 2019

SEVEN FLIGHTS  STRETCH WOUND IN THE STOOGE
cont from prev reply

Flight #5     750 winds     16 seconds   Pics  2237    2238  This was a perfect full circle and landing.

Flight #6     750 winds     15 seconds   Pics  2239   2240    Flight was  4/5  of a circle.   A little high on the launch angle, gave a nice slow flight at the end, with a right turn and straightening out at the end to a perfect landing in the tall grass.

Flight #7     750 winds     19 seconds     Pic  2241 flying   2242 sitting    The flight was a full  5/6  circle, but then it kept going and going (it had come around into the calm leeward wind from the perimeter tree line).    On and on it flew, right in through the tree line,  and lands, luckily missing all of the tree trunks.   Playing with disaster again ...   Undecided

Pic #1     2233     Flight #4     27 sec  -   longest flight of the day -  OH NOOO - it's still flying into the tree line ...
Pic #2     2234     Flight #4     The it goes right in behind and above me ...
Pic #3     2235     Flight #4     Lucky landing!!
Pic #4     2236     Here is a pic of how I keep the nose block on, when using long motors (when the rubber motor length is longer than the prop hook to rear peg distance).    I use three pieces of clear Scotch tape, to hold the nose block to the fuse nose infill planking.
Pic #5     2237     Flight #5   Nice height.
Pic #6     2238     Flight #5  Coming in for a nice landing.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2019, 10:15:31 PM »

FLIGHT REPORT #14          TUES MAY 14 2019

SEVEN FLIGHTS  STRETCH WOUND IN THE STOOGE

cont from prev reply

I thought I heard a break of rubber, and I saw a loss of power on that last flight.
          After this flight, I examined the motor -   I just pulled it out and stretched a section with both hands' fingers.   Low and behold, I found a nick in the stretched rubber.   The wind gust speed seemed to be really picking up (18 mph),  so we started packing at  11:48 AM,  and got home at noon.

Pic #1     2243     There is the nick in the rubber, about an inch up from my thumb, the right strand, on the right side of the strand.
Pic #2     2244     There is the wind on the flag.   Trapper heard his tail hit the strut when he rolled over, for this pic.
Pic #3     2245     Here is the crack.   Easy fix.
Pic #4     2269     I glued it together with 5 min Epoxy and stuck four short 0.015" pins of  music wire, to hold it all together, and snipped off the ends.
Pic #5     2256     Ready for the knotted 12" motor, and the next flights of Flight Report #15

The weather now at noon was  59 deg F (57),  with winds from the NorthWest blowing at  12 mph,  and gusting to  18 mph,  48% humidity.
      I think Trappers tail hit the wing strut when he rolled over for a pic   -  the left wing strut attachment at the fuse did not hold (?)  -  nothing that a couple of 0.015"  pins of music wire cannot cure ...
          Well,  that was some fun flying.  I had to fix the left wing strut attachment to the fuse, which worked out OK.  I am a little late with this Flight Report #14, as on this AM, Thurs May 16 2019,   I got out flying for Flight Report #15 first thing this morning.

Put some winds into it ...  and launch it ....   Grin Grin

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
End of Flight Report #14

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »

MY VOLARE ORDER HAS ARRIVED

Here are some pics of the order.

Pic #1     2327     The full order including the 24" Cessna C-34 laser kit.
Pic #2     2329     Note the different shape of blades.   
Pic #3     2330     Another view angle.
Pic #4     2328     Comparison with my broken black 9" Guillow High Torque prop.

Now for some testing of these new, differently shaped props.   And I now have a new supply of  3/16"  rubber.   Grin Grin Grin   Here we go ...   Cheesy

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2019, 12:19:17 PM »

Wow lotsa 'stuff'.
 A good day for the shop... given the ~240$ parts list
stovebolt
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: June 02, 2019, 05:57:07 PM »

MY VOLARE ORDER HAS ARRIVED

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Richard
 I too ordered the Cessna, what are your thoughts on removable wings to reduce damage?
Pat
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: June 02, 2019, 06:17:39 PM »

I always wanted to see what would happen if I glued the pilot halves together and pumped 'em full of expanding foam. Of course there would have be an small hole drilled in the pilots crown to let the foam escape some during expansion!

The Threadkiller!
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: June 27, 2019, 01:05:02 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"  Dumas Kit

Sorry for the absence, but I fell behind on my Flight Reports, and sort of lost my mojo, after finally getting a new prop and new rubber onto the 30" Rearwin Speedster, and then actually smashing up my old friend, for what could sadly  Sad  be her last flights, on June 14 2019, which is Flight Report #19 (yet to post).   So I have since just been sitting back and watching and browsing all the inspirational builds and flights, and contemplating flying scale-looking models ...
     I already posted Flight Report #15, of May 16 2019,  in "Went Flying" Reply #1073 and Reply #1074 ,  link here  https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=438.1050
     I still have three small Flight Reports with some pics, for Flight Report #s 16, 17, and 18,  May 18, May 26, and May 31,  respectively, that I will catch up on shortly.   And then the career ending crash(s) on June 14 flying in too much wind.  Arghgghhghgghhrrrr ...   Cry
      I have always gotten my inspiration from birds, and especially birds of prey.   The good news from Jackson Park is, that the new Cooper's Hawk nest (which is just a stone's throw from my Cricket Wicket Flying Field), hatched four baby hawks this year, which are now as big as the parents, and fully feathered, and flapping around, and climbing out onto branches, ready to fledge any day now - they had three young fledge last year from a different nest.   You should see how spectacularly   Shocked   , the 29" to 37" wingspan (females are bigger than males) of this fast, powerful, agile   Cool  hawk, comes coursing and rapidly flapping, at great speed, over the many recently planted quite small trees surrounding the Spitfire and Hurricane replicas, and then gliding low and very fast at high speed, with wings spread out, almost right to the base of the trunk of the large nesting tree, only to then swoop up, to almost straight up, and way up high, right up to the nest, and slowing down right at the nest, and softly popping up   Shocked  in front of the chicks to a soft sudden landing   Roll Eyes  at the side of the nest.  
     Here is a good link to Cooper's Hawks and how the babies look and develop   http://www.coopershawks.com/lh_breeding.html#fledglings

Pics :    COOP A,  COOP C,   MATES,  COOP D,  COOP E,  COOP F

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: June 28, 2019, 02:43:06 AM »

Bad luck re the Rearwin Richard. Still if you have the plan another would be relatively easy to build.

The Cooper's Hawks are beautiful birds - did they ever show any interest in your model flying?

John
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: June 30, 2019, 03:49:57 PM »

Hi stovebolt Pat.  I recall some talk of breakaway wings a while back but no thread was started.   "Removable wings"  would be a great subject for a topic.  Probably best for its own thread so every one could chime in on it.   No experience with it here ... yet.
     Hi Crabby - let us know how that expandable foam works.
     Hi John.    The Coopers Hawks never went after my models (only 3), but when I see them coursing through the park, high over the Spitfire and Hurricane replicas, the black Starlings (invasive species from Europe), Sternus vulgaris, that are nesting in the left wheelwell of the Spitfire, get very frightened and scared to death,  and you should hear them SQUACK when the Coops are flying through Shocked Shocked, even though the Coops are not going after them at the time.

4 min video    Coopers Hawk :  A Reckless Predator
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=coopers+hawk+hunting&&view=detail&mid=D31CF58657AC05D22B08D31CF58657AC05D22B08&&FORM=VDRVRV

Yes John, I could build another Rearwin.  In addition to all of the reinforcing that I have already done,  I would also double up the center ribs, and double up all the top spars on either side of the spars, because that is where all of the pressure is directed now that everything else is reinforced.
     Well, I have gone through all my log notes and pics, and I have Flight Report #16 organized and ready to post,  from May 18 2019, when the grass was gloriously high.  Now, the City workers have caught up with all of the grass mowing, and we just had a week of heat wave, mid 80s Fahrenheit, feels like 100 deg F, and now another week of heat wave also.   We should consider ourselves lucky though, seeing that France has 115 degrees F !!!!   (real feel ~ 135 deg F ?  )

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: June 30, 2019, 04:31:28 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"   Dumas Kit
FLIGHT REPORT #16                 SAT MAY 18 2019

Nine flights all hand wound -  longest flight about 12 seconds.

Well, it was raining all  morning,  so Mandrake and Bloodroot made a new motor to experiment with  --   8 strands of  1/8"  rubber,  12" long..  (prop hook to rear peg is 13"),  while we were waiting for my  3/16" rubber order to arrive (I had run completely out).

NEW MOTOR BENCH TEST using finger winds only
100 winds =  7 sec power run
100 winds = 7 sec
130 winds = 8 sec

NEW MOTOR BENCH TEST using a  15:1 winder
180 turns (12 handle turns on winder) =  8 seconds
225 turns (17 handle turns on winder) =  11 seconds, and this was the MAX number of turns I was able to muscle into the motor with the winder.

Mandrake and Bloodroot loaded up the motor and Trapper and I went out flying to see if there was any noticeable difference in using a motor of 1" cross section of rubber ( eight strands of 1/8" rubber), as compared to a 3/4" cross section of rubber (  four strands of 3/16" rubber).
     The weather was at 12:45 PM, 57 deg F (feels like 57 deg F), Winds blowing from the East at 11 mph, gusting to 16 mph, 82% humidity.
     The Cricket Field was full of players, so we went to the "American" baseball field, in the far SouthEast corner of Jackson Park, with long grass in the outfield (the infield is hard packed gravel   Shocked Shocked ).   The object was to try to keep these flights short, of 7 to 10 seconds of duration, to keep these flights of one long quarter circle to one half circle, away from the fences and off of the hard packed gravel infield, and to have it land on the tall thick lush grass of the outfield -  which took a lot of careful thinking and repositioning of the launching spot in order to do so.   

Pic #1     2271     Mandrake and Bloodroot make the new motor.
Pic #2     2274     Deep grass in the outfield.
Pic #3     2275     Short flights.

cont in next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: June 30, 2019, 04:41:31 PM »

REARWIN SPEEDSTER  30"   Dumas kit
FLIGHT REPORT #16                 SAT MAY 18 2019
cont from prev reply

We got in a total of nine flights, each lasting about 7 to 11 seconds.   I found that the extra power, from the 8 strand of 1/8" motor,  really shot the plane out fast, and it ran out of rubber up too high, and would then plummet down into the long grass.  A 3/16" motor is the better way to go for a slower flight.

These next four pics are from the "CLOSE CALL"  flight.

Pic #1     2276     Just to the right of the Indoor Tennis bldg, right on the tree line, turning left and heading for trouble -  I should have launched  it  more to the right.   
Pic #2    2277     Just above the fence, to the left of the gray hydro pole.  It went too far left, and as the prop ran out, it turned to the right, and skimmed right along the very top of the fence for about six floating feet, where the sharp chain link wire cuts are.  Huh Huh   I thought it was going to rip the fuse from front to back.  Undecided
Pic #3     2278     Then the Rearwin just barely hops over the fence, and lands just on the other side of the fence -  you can just make it out through the fence.
Pic #4     2279     And this is how it landed  ...   Whew!  Tongue    A close call   Cool  with a can opener death.

cont in next reply

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
Print
Jump to: