Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2019, 06:52:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Balsa Source?  (Read 2746 times)
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 10:04:56 PM »

Back to balsa sourcing: Just a got a shipment of balsa from the folks at National balsa. I ordered the the sub 7lb but not fancy category and ordered a wide selection. I have to say I am impressed with the quality. Good light wood nicely cut and carefully packed. All A grain as far as I can tell. Price was good too. I will buy from them again for sure.

BG

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

United States United States

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 09:56:26 AM »

Here's what I found under the official HPA policy:

This is not to say that you can not show your stuff. Simply keep the topic within the realm of the modeling materials and construction techniques used in the process of building. Other members do this on a daily basis without promoting anything but the hobby and so should you. That's what we're here for.

Personally, I think BG's post was consistent with this policy. I am glad that he is part of the cottage industry that keeps us supplied with balsa wood, tools, etc.

I agree with others that BG did the appropriate thing by mentioning the availability of his stripper when he did on this thread.

It has been a pleasure dealing with the likes of George Bredehoft, Mike Woodhouse, etc.  

The site administrator will no doubt police any inappropriate posts.

BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2018, 03:33:10 PM »

Hi All, thanks so much for your moral support (and custom). The critique of my "advertising" post made me feel bad but you all have come to my aid and made me feel alright again. Thanks everyone.  Smiley

With all of that said however, my "advertising" is obviously annoying at least one person so I will refrain from doing it on this forum, hopefully everyone know where to find me now.

thanks again.

Bernard (chief janitor and factory worker at HMP)

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2018, 09:38:18 PM »

BG -

Chin up!  You are an asset to our hobby and to this web site.

I wish there were more like you.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2018, 10:01:22 PM »

Yes, I was happy BG posted the link, that's how you find out about these things, I thought the site has some neat stuff (I'll probably buy some of the plans, maybe a short kit), plus I'm always amazed that these cottage industries even survive. So I'm happy that people mention (without overkill) their products, that's how I've found out about a few suppliers I wouldn't know about otherwise.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2018, 10:09:22 AM »

For the Euro users...
I attended the ProWing Nord model air/trade show last weekend and had a very nice conversation with the owner of Balsabar-Modellbauholz.  They will take orders for wood down to 0.8mm and when ordering, one can add a comment (mask provided) requesting weight and grain type.  They will hand select as close as possible and notify if they do not have exactly what one wants (within a tolerance specified by the purchaser).  Takes a bit longer to fill such an order, but THERE IS NO EXTRA CHARGE!

I browsed thru some of the stock that they brought to the meet and was impressed (also with the relatively LOW prices)!

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
pedwards2932
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2018, 12:27:58 PM »

I was at a Michael's this weekend and took my scale with me.....I was looking for 1/16 3"x36" I got 8 pieces that were about 10.3 to 10.6 grams.  I am not sure if any of you have seen what I did with a craft cutter but I can make balsa strips with it very similar to what you get with Guillows models.  It works with up to 1/16"  if you need thicker it will only scribe it. Just another possibility for using a craft cutter....it takes about 3 passes but when I put my caliper on the strip it was within .001 end to end.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Balsa Source?
Re: Balsa Source?
duration
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2018, 12:57:30 PM »

Bernard,

Please keep us informed of your new products.

Louis
CTRC
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »

I am relatively new to this site and I am finding it very informative by reading all the posts.  I am also new to building peanut size planes and I was wondering how I was going to cut those small strips of balsa.  Now I know from this thread.

Thanks everyone
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: