Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 23, 2019, 04:08:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electric Wright Stuff trial event for Div. B or C?  (Read 4560 times)
Little-Acorn
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2019, 12:35:35 PM »

Well, we didn't do as well at SoCal State in the trial event, as we'd hoped to. A broken wire in the harness to charge the capacitors from a pair of D cells, held the kids back. Though they showed a lot of initiative and quick thinking, getting the judges' permission to speak to me, and also go from team to team to borrow a battery that somehow got one plane charged (Matching connectors?? I wasn't sure). They wound up in Fifth Place, which was quite good, considering. They though fast and thought on their feet, and pulled out an OK finish from what would have been a disaster.

Onward and upward:

What electric motors do you all use for these Electric Wright Stuff planes? We used motors, gearboxes and propellers from the Indoor RC "Vapor" and "Ember" planes, which gave pretty good performance and endurance. Several 40-second flights during practice, and one 50-second flight. But another school at SoCal racked up a couple of 120-second flights, I was stunned. (They won, deservedly). I don't know what motors etc. they used, but they were certainly superior to ours.

Has anyone ever played around with the motors from the buzzer in a cell phone? Any idea where to get one (other than cannibalizing a phone)?
mkirda
Gold Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2019, 07:13:41 PM »

Has anyone ever played around with the motors from the buzzer in a cell phone? Any idea where to get one (other than cannibalizing a phone)?

I know you can find these at AliExpress.com.
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=AS_20190421151218&SearchText=phone+vibration+motor

No idea how they would work for this, but there they are and they are cheap.

Regards.
Mike Kirda

Little-Acorn
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2019, 02:06:14 AM »

Mkird, a great tip! Thank you!

Most of them seem to have the little offset weight on the shaft, that makes it vibrate. Any idea how to get it off the shaft? Are the press-fit on? So maybe they can be pulled off? Maybe without damaging the motor bearings?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: