Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 20, 2019, 07:16:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Kit Scale 2019 Models  (Read 12169 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: November 01, 2018, 06:24:03 AM »

Beautiful, Mike!

(Seventeen days?! *sobs in despair*)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: November 01, 2018, 06:34:48 AM »

That is so very nice, Mike.  Smiley
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: November 01, 2018, 07:29:10 AM »

I'm sitting here doing 4 projects at once and now I want one of those too. A nicer scheme than the green. Are the decals hand cut or computered?
But my record is 5 days for a diesel eindecker; it didn't look like that, though
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: November 01, 2018, 07:33:27 AM »

my record is 5 days for a diesel eindecker; it didn't look like that, though

It would have been an odd sort of Eindecker if it had.
ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: November 01, 2018, 08:31:21 AM »

Hi Dan,

Apart from the large wing lettering, decals were laser printed onto clear decal film.  I used the decal artwork from the Roden 1/32 scale plastic kit for the fin serial and fuselage lettering.  I can send the jpgs over if you like.  The Stars and Bars artwork was downloaded from the VMC website - I love that you can download markings and paper pattern sheets from there for all the Magnificent Flying Machine range to avoid cutting the plan up.

Mike S
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: November 01, 2018, 10:18:57 AM »

That looks very smart Mike.

I'm a fan of adding the odd, carefully chosen small detail to KS type models (e.g. inked-on cowling panel lines, a pretend exhaust-pipe, etc) while steering clear of the fine detail expected and rewarded in Open (e.g. scale pitot tubes, masterpiece instrument panels, etc).  I reckon a handful of these minor, almost amateur-looking things are well within the spirit of KS - I was certainly weighing down my KK and Veron models with loads of scale extras when I was twelve!  They're fun to do and certainly add, lightly at least, to the overall impression of the subject aeroplane.  Any minor penalties incurred would hopefully be outweighed by extra points for character.  Smiley
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: November 01, 2018, 04:17:39 PM »

Oh so nice Mike!  I think that is very fair comment Jon....I always felt that adding bit of detail in my formative years put my stamp on the model I had built and set it a lilltle apart from those of some of my peers.   But the KS event is a remarkably relaxed affair,  so al will be well.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: November 01, 2018, 04:45:21 PM »

As the others have said - that's a beautiful model, very smart. Good luck at Nijmegen
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: November 05, 2018, 04:09:01 PM »

The Bristol Scout is finally done, and for good order I've put the piccies of the completed model on the last page of its own build thread: http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=19935.msg232899#msg232899 but will pop one in here anyway.  Grin

Taking it to Nijmegen - not entered in anything, but a lovely big hall for some trimming fun.

Jon
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Kit Scale 2019 Models
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2019, 09:07:14 AM »

After a good long period of sulking, two hours of Cyano, Special Brew and some robust Anglo-Saxon language saw the Gipsy largely patched up. Damage is never as bad as it looks...

I took the opportunity to induce a little washin on the port lower wing whilst it was free. It was a tightening turn that caused the trouble in the first place!

One more Alfreton meeting before the Nats, fingers crossed!

Dan.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2019, 03:14:30 PM »

Well done Dan!  I had wondered where you'd been..?   Grin

But don't worry, my own contender for April firstly proved to be under-powered with the G-28BB Nijmegen trim flight then got a jolly good thrashing when it flew straight into a wall.  Mended the shattered struts etc and the next pre-Nats job is to fit a G-43BB and re-start trim flights all over again - but outside at first once the weather improves!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2019, 04:25:40 PM »

Great news, Dan. Kit Scale needs you (and your big CO2 powered beauties) there! Make sure you round up some catchers at Alfreton.

My own original plan was to enter my big Dumas Eindecker, but after a mixed outdoor season involving quite a few repairs last year it’s looking a bit tatty now so I think I’ll just keep it for outdoors. Plan B then is to dust off my VMC SE5. Never actually flown it in the UK nats and it usually goes quite well these days, so I should be able to restrict most of my panicking to my PT-3’s Open Rubber flights instead.

What’s everyone else entering in KS I wonder? (Can anyone top Rich’s P-38 Lightning for sheer bravery?)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Kit Scale 2019 Models
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: February 11, 2019, 02:55:32 AM »

You'd got the SE going really well last time I saw it at Alfreton. I'm hoping I'll get chance to try the Gipsy outside before the next indoor sesh. Not very likely at this time of year... Oh well.

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: February 11, 2019, 05:03:31 AM »

P.S If Rich M does indeed show up with a big Lightning, I will be doing the full Wayne's World "We are not worthy!!" in front of his table!

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2019, 08:53:35 PM »

Had another look at the Gipsy repairs and realised with despair that whilst it was back together; the upper wings were no longer parallel to the lower! I knew repairing with Mr. Special Brew wasn't wise... It was only a couple of degrees, but enough to be annoying. Broke all my careful repairs and all is now straight and true(ish)… Silver Esaki'd a length of 1/16" sq. In case a Gurney strip is called for on the 23rd!

Cheers,

Dan.
vintagemike
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: February 26, 2019, 04:30:18 AM »

Dan did you use the Special Brew to glue the wings on, attach the covering or dope the wings!!!!? 
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: February 26, 2019, 10:41:50 AM »

Nearly all three!

Dan.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: February 26, 2019, 03:36:37 PM »

Dan, if the wings looked straight when you were topped up with Special Brew then why redo the repairs? Surely it's much simpler to just down some more Special Brews and have another look.
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 42

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: February 26, 2019, 04:06:23 PM »

It is seeming like a good strategy to 'sit back' whilst everyone else builds early and smashes their models whilst getting some sneaky, not the night before, trimming in. Whilst you are busy repairing your models, I am organising my garage and preparing my new workspace. With a bit of luck, by the time you are trimming the second time around, I should have actually started cutting wood. I am on course for the usual Saturday night, before the nats, initial flights - I have stuck the plan pages together for the fuselage... and...I have sat in the garden pondering how I could build retracting undercarriage. I have a cunning plan...

Can anyone top Rich’s P-38 Lightning for sheer bravery?
bravery,  stupidity, madness - perhaps. I just like to build what I like.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:23:24 PM by Rich Moore » Logged

It wasn't me
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: February 26, 2019, 04:25:20 PM »

Well just to confuse the issue of trimming the night before the Nats........

I have finally managed to get the licence for indoor flying at RAF Shawbury.
There are two club dates before the FF Nats which you guys are welcome to come along to and do some early pre nats trimming, as this year we are not having a Peterborough Bushfields date due to lack of support over the last couple of years.

Ordinarily the Indoor RC nats at Shawbury would also be used, but of course that was postponed due to the licence issues.  Rescheduled for May 12th.
Club dates are March 24th and April 14th - 1.00pm till 4.00pm.

John M
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2019, 02:57:56 PM »

Breaking News...

The Kid has just expressed a desire to complete his VMC Jodel and enter as a Junior!  Smiley

I'd packed away the almost complete bones after he'd lost momentum a while ago, but we got the shoe-box out this evening and he's now studied the plans and instructions again and prepared a list of remaining jobs to do.

In the meantime he's almost completed his second rocket - a 1m high monster that takes a mother of a motor - but I don't think the ceiling at Walsall is quite high enough for him to demonstrate...  Grin
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2019, 03:01:38 PM »

Nice one Issac. So is that Jack Plane and Junior Plane ?
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2019, 03:05:56 PM »

Sounds like patience has been rewarded and you are to be commended for the patience showed. I have an untrimmed Jodel waiting so you may have motivated me to get going. I look forward to seeing the results.
Ricky
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2019, 03:51:15 PM »

Nice one Issac. So is that Jack Plane and Junior Plane ?

Perhaps it should be Jack-plane and Block-plane, but that's maybe a little unfair on him... so I'll just stick with Little Rocket Man for the time being!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2019, 06:00:19 PM »

Good one Jack - I'm sure he will have loads of fun.

John
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up
Print
Jump to: