Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 28, 2021, 10:21:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Guillows Arrow rc  (Read 840 times)
TomCruyplants
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Belgium Belgium

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 09, 2018, 03:35:29 PM »

Hey everybody,

like the title suggests, an rc scratch built example of a Guillows Arrow. I blew the plans up 200% and started building. It is my first rc plane that i've build and i like it a lot Smiley

i kept to the original design for the wing and altough it's flying nice, it is very delicat to wind conditions. Can i solve this issue by making a straight, or slightly dihedral wing with rolls on it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr1vBLim_X0

Greetings,
Tom
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

United States United States

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 04:39:31 PM »

Jr. would be proud! Well Done!

Light weight models are limited in the wind they can fly with. What kind of control problems are you having? Rolls? If this means ailerons then yes ailerons with a much lower dihedral, will help a lot with controllability in wind. But you might loose a lot of the character you captured in the 200% enlargement.

All the best,
Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
ghostler
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 01:45:29 AM »

Nice job, enjoyed watching your video. On those venerable designs, I am told the general rule of thumb is to drop dihedral by about a half on RC conversions, helps to stop the dutch rolling tendencies. Rudder control will still be effective but more controllable when you encounter winds. You could build another wing, then have 2 to compare.

Regarding wind sensitivity, you've got a very light RC aircraft. I bought a 55" wingspan Hobby Lobby Miss Stick 12 years ago, very similarly stick built and ultra light. I was going to do a glow conversion to a Thunder Tiger .07 RC engine. But we have mostly windy conditions here in rural Eastern New Mexico due to the relative lack of trees and flat land conditions. I wouldn't be able to fly it, so I gave it to a friend who appreciates Pat Trittle kits. He had the same problem as you with the Pat Trittle kits, they're excellent indoor fliers and calm weather fliers, but don't do too well in the wind.

I do have to agree though that your build has character, it is nice to see a double sized remake with the charm of rubber power free flight but with the acrobatic envelope of an RC aircraft. Plus, you did a really nice job of trimming it out, looks exceptional in flight.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Guillows Arrow rc

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: