Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 23, 2019, 01:52:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: E30?  (Read 630 times)
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 60

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2018, 11:49:55 AM »

I wonder if anyone could give me some information on the current state of play for E30 in the UK please?

Where and when is it flown? And what is the current best technology in your opinion?

I have looked at the BMFA 2018 FF Rulebook and the battery size is 70mAh (1S) - I seem to remember hearing that this may be changed in future?

Thanks,
Jon
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 12:41:06 PM »

Jon

There was a rumour that the battery would change for this year, but thanks to my chums this didn't go ahead- there are plenty of 70mAh 1S batteries available, a check on Google will bear me out. Rumour has it that one person wanted to change to 150mAh cells!

A club mate of yours is a noted E30 flyer, Rod Brigginshaw, and he can provide suitable information a lot quicker than I can!!!

Peter
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2018, 08:32:26 AM »

Thanks Peter.

A few in the club are trying E30, especially as some of Ian M's models have been passed on to members. Ian's preferred set up seems to have been a Robotbirds/Hexatronic 5g brushless motor with a 3A ESC and KP Aero timer. But from what I've read you were having more success with the geared GWS CN12's?

I just wondered if there have been any improvements with the increased development of small drone motors that could be useful. I found Micron RC do a 70mAh that's rated at 50C  Shocked (I think Ian was working on about 20C)

Also the 100g minimum seems pretty heavy to me - what kind of thrust were you expecting from the set up do you reckon?

I'm in touch with Rod too, thanks.

Jon
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 09:49:31 AM »

I use a 10g brushless and a 6A ESC driving GWS 6x3 prop and the timer is a Z-Tron. I don't like KP timers with their "suck it and see" pot controls.
The main problem is the batteries. I now have the Micron ones (also available from Robotbirds) but even using these the ESC sometimes cuts out and restarts so that the motor "hunts". I usually buy several, test them and use the best.
Ron
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Topic starter
Free Flight Vagrant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 12:41:46 PM »

Thanks Ron.

I've just realised my reference to 5g brushless was a misunderstanding. I should have said 10g and the 2700KV version IIRC. Rod told me that Ian had tried the 5g but it was underpowered.

Rod also fiddles with the ESC to reduce the low voltage cut out somehow. At 50C you should be able to draw 3.5A?

Jon
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2018, 02:37:10 PM »

50C, even as a burst current is rather over-optimistic! I would rate them as 40C burst (a few seconds) and then 30C for most of the run.
You must set the ESC cut out threshold as low as you can.
Ron

PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 04:54:30 AM »

Well chaps

Yesterday was the first day of the British Free Fiight Nats including E30. The winner in the fly off was -

1. Rod Brigginshaw
2. Tony Shepherd
3. Ron (cvasecuk)

Others dropped flights! Well done chaps. I'll see if can glean any more Electric results over the next two days.

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: