Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 11:03:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whooping Cranes and Ultralight Aircraft  (Read 518 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« on: May 18, 2018, 05:32:43 PM »

This Ultralilght Aircraft used in the following endangered species recovery project, is the "COSMOS" Model Phase II. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmos_Phase_II  It is a French 2 seat flying wing, ultra-lite trike:   cable-braced, "hang glider style", high wing, weight shift controlled, two seats in tandem - one behind the other, open cockpit, tricycle landing gear, a single engine in pusher configuration, using an Austrian 50 HP Rotax 503 in-line, 2 cylinder, 2 stroke engine.  There are NO flight controls - just a bar to push forward and pull backward to go up or down, and shift your weight left or right to steer it, just like on a real hang glider.
     The endangered bird is the WHOOPING CRANE - the largest bird in North America with a 90"  (7.5 foot) wingspan - here  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whooping_crane and the recovery project is "Operation Migration"http://operationmigration.org/  Between 2001 – 2015, Operation Migration pilots used ultralight aircraft, and played the role of surrogate parents, to guide captive-hatched and imprinted Whooping cranes along a planned migration route, which began in Wisconsin and ended in Florida.      (cont.)

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Whooping Cranes and Ultralight Aircraft

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 05:37:48 PM »

After being pushed to the brink of extinction by unregulated hunting and loss of habitat to just 21 wild and two captive whooping cranes by 1941, conservation efforts have led to a limited recovery. As of February 2015, the total population was 603 including 161 captive birds.
     Back in the late 1970s me and my buddy took the "one day" hang glider course from Pat Bochuk in Thunder Bay, in North Western Ontario. He actually set a four hour record hang glider flying in the Nor' Wester mountain range SW of Thunder Bay, in North Western Ontario.  Anyway, we rented a hang glider for a day, hauling it on our backs up ski runs at the Mount Norway Ski Resort.  My last flight did not get enough height as I swooped down the slope and out over a little cliff, catching the bushes with the landing gear and sending me into a nose dive straight down into the rocks of the ski run.    Tongue    The hang glider hit nose first, and I swung like a pendulum in the harness, head and face first, into the rocks.   Almost an Otto Lilienthal event.   Shocked Shocked  Smashed up my face and glasses on the rocks - I have not been hang gliding since.     Roll Eyes                            (cont.)

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
Re: Whooping Cranes and Ultralight Aircraft

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 05:41:45 PM »

I never saw a Whooping Crane, but I did see three migrating flocks  of the slightly smaller SANDHILL CRANES ( 80" wingspan ),   150 and 75 and 30 birds in each flock in a row in the fall on the golf course in Timmins, in Northeastern Ontario.  They were all calling and whooping and croaking just like the Whoopers - what a cacophony of sound!  Sounds just like those flying monkeys in the movie "The Wizard of Oz".

VIDEO OF WHOOPING CRANES "WHOOPING"
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=WHOOPING+CRANES+CALLING+WHOOPING&&view=detail&mid=11E695667A91056D232D11E695667A91056D232D&&FORM=VRDGAR

VIDEO OF WHOOPING CRANES IN FLIGHT BESIDE ULTRALIGHT
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=WHOOPING+CRANES+CALLING+WHOOPING&&view=detail&mid=47F94734B14D76ECB46947F94734B14D76ECB469&&FORM=VRDGAR

Just look at those wings !!

The End

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 05:54:58 PM by LASTWOODSMAN » Logged

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 07:43:30 PM »

Thanks for that Richard. The sight of the Cranes alongside the hang glider has always fascinated me - wild life adopting man and his machine.

They are beautiful in flight.

John
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 11:09:02 PM »

I met the guy who pioneered the effort.  Wrote a book about it and a TV movie was made.  I think it was called: "Fly Away Home". or something like that.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 02:40:39 AM »

Yes I remember the movie of that name. What effort to make for an endangered species.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: