Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 09, 2019, 06:23:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimbo’s First Stick and Tissue Build - Guillows Hurricane  (Read 2529 times)
Ex Member

« on: May 20, 2018, 12:06:17 PM »

To try and capitalise on his enthusiasm from the recent indoor Nats, I thought that Jimbo and I should build another model.

He really wanted to try his hand at stick and tissue - as against the all sheet models we have built before. So that means at some point we will have to tackle the dreaded tissue covering, and fiddly bits of 1/16”....

I have made him a building board from a little pin board from Wilko’s, which I reinforced at the rear with some hardboard I picked up free at IKEA (they leave it outside with a note to say “please take”)

He has been begging me to do a Hurricane, although I have explained they are tricky to trim, but he has persisted, and I have given in on the understanding that he realises that it might not fly as well as his other models so far.

So all taken into account I have decided that the little Guillows Hurricane is the way to go, it is (to put it politely) ahem, “robust” in design and the Wood is “sturdy” so suitable for chubby nearly 10 year old fingers.

As well as a bit of fun, this is a bit of a dress rehearsal for a build for next years Indoor Nats, in which he wants to build the VMC Jodel, which is not quite as robust in small hands but is a little less involved with 1/16”.

It has took a while for the new versions of laser cut kits in this series to filter through as the old die crushed kits get used up, but I managed to get one off eBay from “Arrow Models”

Anyhow today we made start, and being a laser cut he is doing all the work himself, releasing the parts and building them over the plan, I am of course advising and supervising - but he has done the work, and quite a good job he has done of it too so far.  This has been between him going over to the park to kick a ball around!

Andrew
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Jimbo’s First Stick and Tissue Build - Guillows Hurricane
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 12:35:13 PM »

Very cool, Andrew!

You are raising him well...

Cheers,

Dan.
abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 03:16:38 PM »

Very nice choice! I always wanted a Guillows Hurricane in my younger days, but pocket money would only stretch so far.

Best of luck with it.

A.
Ex Member

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2018, 03:26:52 PM »

Cheers Dan and Andy...  Cheesy Grin

We moved on from the outlines of the fin and rudder, and put in the ribs.  It is fair to say that James found this a little frustating and fiddly, but he battled through and I helped him get them to fit in a few occasions.  The photograph says it all in terms of the concentration that he required to try and adjust the length and make the ends square(ish)

We ended up with a couple of half decent looking parts, he gave them a quick sand round the edges and the faces, but I decided not to tell him to remove the numbers, as I thought that it would make the parts to thin for him to handle...

Andrew
Re: Jimbo’s First Stick and Tissue Build - Guillows Hurricane
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2018, 03:48:46 PM »

I am currently resuscitating a Guillow's Spitfire ( the 1/16th version) that last flew in 1981, and there are plenty of numbers still to be seen on the fuselage frames. I have to build new wings and tail because the old ones have gone missing. I wonder if sanding the existing frames where possible would remove any of the weight. Somehow I doubt it, but I suppose every little helps. I plan to build it gear up but may make provision for plug-in undercart. The small Guillow's Hellcat is a good flier but there's also quite a lot of scope for weight reduction and the dihedral doesn't look so wrong as on the Hurri. Perhaps the lad would like one of those as his next project. The Guilow's P40 is another nice one. I usually convert them to have balsa noses but maybe that's silly.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 03:53:50 PM »

A sensible fellow your son.  Having no truck whatsoever with those flashy Supermarine machines. Smiley
Hope he gets some good flights out of it.  More importantly; hope he enjoys building it.
Lurk.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 08:26:11 PM »

Andrew don't be mean!   Wink  Why not put him out of his misery and make or buy him a wee razor guillotine.  so much easier.
Work In Progress
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 08:13:02 AM »

I wonder he if could block-sand those tail components safely by using a bit of double-sided tape to hold them down to the board? I do that sometimes with small things as I have big fat fingers.
Ex Member

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2018, 01:55:19 PM »

Cheers Chaps,

He’s done the worst of it now, I want him to get the idea of eyeballing stuff and tickling and fettling until it fits  Cheesy Grin

Andrew
Snaky Stringer
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2018, 02:29:52 PM »

He'll be designing his own soon, I suppose. ;-)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 07:37:27 PM »

What an interesting job for a Aeromodelling Dad - supervising interested son building a kit Smiley Great stuff. Go Jimbo! Smiley

John
Ex Member

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2018, 02:26:19 PM »

Hi Guys,

Well after a couple of weeks off due to Cub Scout camp, and having his best friend over for a sleep over, we got back to some building today.  We managed to the centre section and the right wing done.  Dad told him to add a little more dihedral than the standard 3/4”, not that he knows in the slightest what an inch means!  We went in at about 22mm...

Some pictures of some careful cutting and glueing, plus the results of today’s labours...

Andrew
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2018, 09:04:43 PM »

What concentration! Where do you buy that(concentration) these days? Smiley

John
Ex Member

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2018, 03:05:49 AM »

A bit of an update.

I took an unexpected holiday with Jimbo and my mum and dad at Wells-Next-the Sea a couple of weeks back. (Long story!)

We took the hurricane with us and over a few evenings Jimbo completed the fuselage meaning that we have built up all of the bones.

Next for the covering, which will be tackled on our (planned) holiday in France...

Andrew
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2018, 04:18:10 AM »

Well Jim is still a faster builder than me Smiley

John
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 05:10:28 AM »

Nice one Darby & Son!
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 88

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 08:08:46 AM »

Priceless Andy
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 10:40:43 AM »

Grin  carry on jimbo.  i hope to make a video of building the various structures for planes for my two grandkids which they will have after i'm gone. anyone done this before?

jim Grin
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 09:45:21 PM »

Nice job! He seems into it and thoroughly engaged.  Kudos
Ex Member

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2018, 05:21:22 AM »

We now get to the really tricky part... the covering.

My normal method is glue stick and PVA at the edges as per here...

https://www.vintagemodelcompany.com/how-to-cover-your-model-with-tissue.html

However I think that trimming the edges would be beyond the chubby fingers of Jimbo, and so I decided to show him the method of sanding through the tissue to trim it.

I had purposely chosen black tissue and we will do a nightfighter scheme, this means that we can use a sharpie marker on the exposed edges...

He has done quite well so far, but the tricky task of the top of the wings and the fuselage await...

Andrew
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2018, 05:26:27 AM »

I seem to recall that covering a stringered fuselage was the first major aeromodelling hurdle I encountered, round about 1959. hence the Camels and Nieuports
Ex Member

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2018, 08:58:12 AM »

I think that we will do it in small patches as per the Guillows instructions, it won’t be the neatest, and surely not the most efficient, but it will probably be the simplest way for him...

It seems to me Bill that hurdle lead to a lifetime love of those earlier types!  Grin

Andrew
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2018, 12:12:15 PM »

You can try trimming the tissue with a small pair of sharp scissors. I trim to about 1/16" with this method regularly when doing the overlap cut.
ian
flydean1
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2018, 12:32:03 PM »

I think he is doing an excellent job, what with having to do it hanging by his heels. Grin Grin Grin Grin
Ex Member

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2018, 01:11:59 PM »

Yeah, odd that, it appears right on my iPad, but occasionally it does flip the images the wrong way round!  The other thing is that looking back at the pictures he looks really solemn, but that’s his concentrating face...

Andrew
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: