Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 11, 2019, 12:28:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimbo’s First Stick and Tissue Build - Guillows Hurricane  (Read 2530 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2018, 02:26:37 PM »

Great stuff, James- keep at it!

(Re iPad photos- I've found on mine that if take the pic with the iPad held with the home button on the right, the pic will still be the right way up when transfered to a forum or wherever. Not that it really matters.)
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2018, 02:31:56 PM »

Andrew, do either of your kids accept contract work?  I have this "under-cambered" wing that's being a right pain...  Smiley

> ...small patches as per the Guillows instructions, it won’t be the neatest...
Oh I dunno.  You may have lots of overlaps, but you won't have any ugly cobbles or wrinkles which would look far less appealing.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2018, 02:41:50 PM »

Great build . I think I started around Jimbo's age, though with far less ambitious models. Ezebuild all sheet DH Pussmoth was probably my first solo attempt. I parked it in a hanger under my bed but it met and unfortunate end when my mum ran it over with the Hoover  Undecided who Hoovers under the bed ?

Good luck with the build
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »

You have a good production line working there Andrew. Covering stringered fuselages is certainly not one of my favourite tasks. They certainly seem to be enjoying themselves(more than Dad?) - although lots of serious concentration there.

I can see a competition coming here Smiley

John

Ex Member

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 05:18:12 PM »

Hard work for me, but that is the lot of a dad isn’t it!?

More concentrated faces...

Doping of the the fin/rudder and covering the wing, Dad holding it whilst Jimbo adds PVA, to secure the loose edges.

On the wing I had no option than to let him trim the edges with a razor so that they could be overlapped, he still has eight fingers and two thumbs so it ended well...

Andrew
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Jimbo’s First Stick and Tissue Build - Guillows Hurricane
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2018, 07:48:03 PM »

He will be aright with tools Andrew. I would imagine that Jim is well on the way to coming to grips with sharp blades and knives Andrew. He looks confident and focused. Must be good genes?  Smiley

John
Ex Member

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2018, 08:10:12 AM »

Yes his mother is a very clever lady...  Grin Cheesy

Andrew
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2018, 08:58:28 PM »

Diplomatic Smiley Smiley

John
Ex Member

« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2018, 08:57:40 AM »

Well his patience and concentration paid off with a reasonable looking covering job, the edges tucked underneath look a bit ragged - but hey - Could I have done as well as this at his age - no way!

The first outer wing panel has been doped and drying...

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 278

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2018, 10:14:07 AM »

When a young man concentrates so well to get a high standard of workmanship it seems a pity to cover the model with tissue from a shoe box or from around a bunch of flowers.  Surely he is worth some genuine 'Esaki' and an introduction to 'wet covering' on the fuselage. Smiley
John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Ex Member

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2018, 12:39:45 PM »

Hi John,

It is genuine Esaki...

Even with its wet strength, I am not sure he has a delicate enough touch to use it wet.  I will teach him all I know, but all in good time, baby steps!  Grin

Andrew
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2018, 01:30:58 PM »

Never mind 'Could I have done as well as this at his age?'...  Sometimes my covering doesn't go as well as that now! Great work, Jimbo; keep it up!
Ex Member

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 08:04:52 AM »

Thanks Pete, that is very kind.  I told him about your comments, he was really pleased especially because he knows you from the Nats last year...

We’ll continue the build when we get back.  We brought it with us expecting he usual mix of good weather with occasional rainy or cloudy days that you get in the Loire.  But the weather has been so good this year that (understandably) the pool has had a bigger draw on us!  Grin

Andrew

Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

United States United States

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 09:26:01 AM »

Reliving my early to late modeling trajectory.... The Jetco ROG, The Thermic 36, the Carl Goldberg Ranger 28, The Guillows Nieuport 28, Guillow's Fokker DVIII, Guillow's this Guillows that, Age 13. The mid teens to early 50's abyss, emerged with wife, kids, my third house, a beer gut, and a strong desire to wade into the ocean and try to swim to Portugal. Balsa called back and here I AM, happily married, grown kids, and a happily cluttered workbench, and models that actually fly. It will be interesting to observe young James' trajectory, balance him, wind him, launch, adjust, and watch him hit the life thermals!

The Threadkiller!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: