Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 02:10:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Jimmie Allen Fans  (Read 9214 times)
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: August 07, 2013, 07:05:16 PM »

Looking good WIDDOG!
Try to get to a flying field that your Model deserves.
Dave
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 07:21:25 PM by Dave Andreski » Logged

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
Widdog
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: August 07, 2013, 09:05:41 PM »

Thanks Dave!

I give this Jimmie Allen a lot of credit. It in a lot of ways is really my first tastes of success. First of all it was a true Scratch Built model that was designed solely for rubber power. Compared to a Multi Purpose kit design this model is very light weight. It finally got through to me what people where trying to tell me about flying with rubber power. I see now that the more advanced modelers where not being critical of my work but actually trying to help me. Now not only has my flying improved but I think my attitude is improving as well.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: June 23, 2014, 03:20:45 PM »

Sean

when do you think I will be able to meet you and pass to you some of the material from Roger Moon?

Allen in San Antonio,Texas
miloman
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2014, 11:00:13 AM »

What are the rules for Jimmy Allen planes? Is it just the date of plan?
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: February 15, 2016, 12:17:58 PM »

Hope this finds you doing well in the cold weather found up your way.

Allen Shields in Sunny San Antonio,Tx
modler
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

FAC member

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: February 26, 2016, 01:38:27 PM »

Miloman, I didn't see a reply to your question about JA rules, here are the FAC rules for 2016, JA is page 11, common rules which apply are on page 10

http://flyingacesclub.com/FACrules3.html

Bill G.

Old model building joke: "Build two identical sides!!!"
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: March 06, 2016, 08:20:14 PM »

What are the rules for Jimmy Allen planes? Is it just the date of plan?
The rules differ between the Flying Aces Club rulebook and the rulebook that SAM goes by.
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: November 25, 2016, 08:01:26 PM »

How much should a Skokie weigh? And where should the balance point be? Mine's about 85 gms empty including a new 4.35 gm prop I just finished carving and doping (no propshaft and FW gear yet), and it seems awfully noseheavy.

a.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
Art356A
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: November 26, 2016, 10:06:56 AM »

This just got more baffling. I taped the noseblock on just to try out a couple of test glides. This brought the CG to 30%, and resulted in several long floaty glides with just a hint of stall and an immediate recovery. Beautiful. But now I have to add the prop along with the FW mechanism and the propshaft. The old prop only weighed 4.54 gms, so there won't be much difference. The rubber is 40/60 to the 30% CG.

The model had flown nicely a couple of years ago. Maybe it climbed under power regardless of noseheaviness, and then the motor bunched up at the back and shifted the CG to just right? 

a.

calgoddard
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

AMA, NFFS & FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: November 26, 2016, 02:09:16 PM »

How much should a Skokie weigh?  It depends.  I like a little sturdier construction outdoors to increase durability and decrease problems with warps.  Also, a slightly heavier model seems to handle a breeze a bit better.

I hate the feeling of stringers breaking when I grip the fuselage to launch my model.

For mid-sized models (24 - 30 inch wing span) ideally you would like to have a maximum wing loading of 0.5 grams per square inch of wing area.  

My Skokie weighs 46 grams including everything except the rubber.  I sheeted the nose.  My Skokie also has a DT.  With better wood selection and not sheeting the nose, I think the Skokie could be readily built to 40 grams, including a DT.

My friend's latest Skokie weighs 36 grams.  He likes to build very light.  In dead air his Skokie will probably outfly my Skokie, but we usually have some breeze and often thermals where I fly.  He will probably spend more time than I will spend repairing warps and breaks.

The plan for the Jimmie Allen BA Cabin (same model as the Skokie) shows a range for the CG with graphic marks but not in percentages.  I found the plan on the Internet somewhere and it should be readily available to others.

Art356A
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2016, 01:08:19 PM »

It flies. Really. Came out to 75.5 grams gross, including a 16 gram motor. That probably should be bigger, but it's more than enough for around here. That also includes 3 grams of solder taped to the back edge of the rudder. I really hate tailweight, but I suppose the CG gotta be where it gotta be. I takes off and climbs on 300 turns, but the winds are 18-20 today, not the best conditions for trimming. The front end picked up a couple of grams with the new prop, but it's much prettier and has more chord further out on the blades than the old one.

Is it worth hiring a nurse to take care of my wife for two days so I can take it (and a couple of others) up to KOI? I dunno.

art.

Pat Daily
OOS, December 2017
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2016, 08:42:09 AM »

My Jimmie Allen Sky Chief in Navy markings of the Flying Chiefs squadron.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Jimmie Allen Fans

Pat Daily USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: November 30, 2018, 12:17:45 PM »

Hello Sean,  I saw you in the pictures where you are flying at Old Rhinebeck in the August 2018 Model Aviation Magazine. I want to know what models are flown for that special occasion honoring Cole and his wife. How large is the area where the action takes place? Hope you are well these days. Allen Shields in foggy san Antonio,tx
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: December 29, 2018, 08:46:01 AM »

My Jimmie Allen Sky Raider - slightly bigger (and better?) than the Skokie.  A great flyer!

https://volareproducts.com/images/SkyRaiderKit.jpg

--george
Jimmie Allen Fans

Balsa Ace
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

FAC Member

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: December 29, 2018, 12:40:35 PM »

That's a sharp looking Sky Raider,George.

Scott

Hawker Sea Fury FB.11
HMCS Magnificent
VF-871   Royal Canadian Navy
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2018, 01:23:40 PM »

I am (slowly) working on a Jimmie Allen Fokker Triplane peanut - 12" span. I only covered a single side with the lightest red tissue that I have and painted with Krylon. Total weight so far is under 5 grams. I still have to do the noseblock (modified the plan for a removeable noseblock), struts, landing gear, wheels and prop.
ian
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: