Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 23, 2019, 05:07:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cat's Whisker by Buckeridge  (Read 648 times)
skyrocket
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

United States United States

Topic starter
nothing hard is ever easy

Ignore
« on: June 05, 2018, 04:19:19 PM »

Almost finished building it and I'm impressed with the design...it seems lighter than the "Skyrocket" by Elite and it is a nice clean design. I got it from "The Model Aeronautical Digest, 1944". I'm in the process of assembling it now and I didn't pay particular attention to worrying about the weights of woods because I don't think the modelers of that time didn't either...it is a cooooool looking model and has a great honking prop out front and it is a folder so life can't be all bad, right?...I'm trying to build all the Lightweights from the 1940 - 1948 era because that's what I like to fly...great performance in a little machine on a small field...we are all plagued with this fact, right?...so why stop flying because of that?...FREE FLIGHT FOREVER...
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 10:41:13 AM »

Finished it today and it came out at 63.1 grams...the plan said 1.5 oz. - 1.75 oz. so I wasn't even close but it still feels right and at least it is straight so I've got something to play with for awhile...next up might be Coplands' Flight Cup winner at 4 oz. or maybe a Condor Clipper
Red Buzzard
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 11:35:27 AM »

Hi Skyrocket,

A photo would be great! Where did you get your plan? I just finished a Buckeridge Lightweight and would like to compare with your Cat's Whisker.

Best,

RB
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 03:21:49 PM »

Here's a couple...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Cat's Whisker by Buckeridge
LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 05:22:48 PM »

Hi Dave - that IS a cool looking model, that "Cat's Whisker" !   Looks like it is going to fly right out of your little flying field!   Shocked Shocked

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

FREE FLIGHT FOREVER

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Red Buzzard
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 06:44:20 PM »

Hi Sky,

Looks like we went to the same trim shop! Here's my Lightweight.

Bill
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:43:20 PM »

Are you sure you will keep those nice models in a small flying area. Smiley?

Happy flying.

John
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 07:02:56 AM »

Hey Redbuzz...sweet looking ship...same question : do RED cars go faster/do RED models fly longer?...hopefully I'll find out this weekend at Muncie...I still haven't tested my new Rara Avis IV yet (Mike Heatherington !(1945) so I'll be taking that too...the weather in Ohio this winter has been so crappy it seems Spring is a month or so late and I'm itching to get on a big field...
Red Buzzard
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 11:37:44 AM »

Hi Sky,

I don't know Rara Avis but share your "itch". I'm in Oregon and am 105 miles from my normal contest field that won't open until later in the summer. The Bucky Light is a "wanderer" so is a little scary to fly on a small field. I have four flights in to 300 turns on a small field with lots of sweat on my palms. Good luck in Muncie. Stretch that Cat's Whisker and see what it will do.

Bill
skyrocket
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 05:23:07 PM »

The weather doesn't look good for Muncie right now so I'm taking a bye on that. I did get the Cat's out today on 300 turns. It goes up okay but wants to spiral in because I put the sub-rudder on parallel to the port side so I have to rip it off, sheet the bottom at that spot and re-mount it parallel the centerline...I discovered that the Rara Avis has a banana fuselage so that's going to require some thinking...sounds like taking some tissue off, rip out the cross pieces and jig it straight
so until then I'll have to rely on my Jabberwocky for now...but I did have FUN today flying my Embryonic Elf, a new P-30 and testing the Scram again which has an unbelievable climb on 8 x 3/16"...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: