Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 09:33:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Goldberg Ranger 28 - reproduction kit now available from BMJR  (Read 3509 times)
PaulBrad
Gold Member

Kudos: 38

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »

Way back in 1957 Carl Goldberg introduced the Ranger 28 when he started Carl Goldberg models. This is a somewhat unique design, from a structural point of view, as it mixes the all sheet balsa models of the period with stick and tissue design. The fuselage is built up from sheet balsa parts that are assembled much like a jigsaw puzzle. It is then covered with tissue like a more traditional stick and tissue model. The wing and stab are built up structures but are covered only on the top surface. This makes for a good learning model relative to built up tissue covered structures, and also for learning the art of rubber powered Free Flight. With a wing span of 28" and a finished airframe weight at our just above 40 grams it can be a good entry level P-30 model.
I had the opportunity to acquire an old Ranger 28 kit and have developed a CAD based reproduction. The only downside to my reproduction drawing package is hand cutting all of the fuselage parts. While not difficult, it can be tedious. Fortunately, Brian Malin of BMJR Model Products has decided to make available a laser cut kit of the Ranger 28 based on my drawings. This is a full kit and sure does reduce the work load. The BMJR web site is http://www.bmjrmodelproducts.com.

I have included several photos of the model I built from razor cut parts. If you are up for hand cutting the parts the plan package is available from my web site at http://www.parmodels.com. Go to the downloadable plans section.

My finished airframe weight came in at 42.5 grams. I used rather heavy domestic tissue for the covering and my wood was a bit on the heavy side. The fuselage has one coat of 50/50 clear dope and one coat of rubbed on Future floor finish. The wing and stab have a brushed on coat of Future Floor finish. My flyng site is rather small so I have limited the motor to a single 25" loop of 1/4" Tan Super Sport rubber. Flight times on the field with that motor not fully wound are in the 50 second range. This is late evening air. If flown on a larger field during the day, things would get very interesting in a hurry with passing thermals.

Paul Bradley
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Goldberg Ranger 28 - reproduction kit now available from BMJR
Goldberg Ranger 28 - reproduction kit now available from BMJR
xddorox

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 09:56:14 AM »

Very nice and clean looking model.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 10:01:42 AM »

Try BMJR at www.bmjrmodels.com
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 243

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 04:42:24 PM »

Paul, Thanks so much for the plan. P-30 sized airplanes are one of my favourite types.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: