Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 12, 2020, 04:25:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: OSPREY 20" SPORTS GLIDER Vintage Model Company laser cut kit  (Read 8266 times)
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Canada Canada

Topic starter
REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #300 on: May 07, 2020, 07:03:33 PM »

OSPREY  20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

FLIGHT REPORT #7              WED MAY 6 2020         Post #2 of 4
cont

The weather at  10:05 AM  was 46 deg F (feels like 41 deg F),  with winds blowing from the North at  12 mph, gusting to  18 mph,  and 42% humidity.

Pic #1     4909     This is where it ended up just missing the tree   Shocked  -  nice landing though.  Undecided

Pic #2     4910     Here is one (not the only one), straight into the ground.   The "crinkle /crunch" sound I kept hearing,  was the plastic of the sunroof wiggling.

Pic #3     4911     Another crash.   

I made a whole lot of catapult launches, but it was way too windy,  so I just kept letting them go,  and hoping for the best.

Pic #4     4912    BEST PIC over head shot.

Pic #5     4913     BEST PIC #2     Softly gliding into the wind,  right by me.

Pic #6     4914     Another short flight.   I had added a little more ballast weight to the right outer wingtip,  and to the ballast box,  but it was still too windy to see if it helped or not.   It was still going hard left.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: OSPREY 20" SPORTS GLIDER Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #301 on: May 07, 2020, 07:41:17 PM »

OSPREY 20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

FLIGHT REPORT #7              WED MAY 6 2020        Post #3 of 4
cont

There were only two  12 sec  flights,  two  8 sec, one seven sec, and the rest only four to five second flights (that is a fast flying 4 or 5 seconds).

Pic #1     4917     The wind is driving the glider down.

Pic #2     4920     I think this was the  12 sec flight,  sailing off downwind at the end of the flight.    

Pic #3     4922     Another long flight way out there,  almost down.

Pic #4     4923     The glider was trying to fly away in this wind for the pic.

Pic #5     4924     Trapper has ears have  "winglets".    Another pic of the freshly cut grass.

Pic #6     4925     Last of the Turfgrass, and flowering yellow and white trees,  updates.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard
cont

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #302 on: May 07, 2020, 07:51:06 PM »

OSPREY  20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

FLIGHT REPORT #7              WED MAY 6 2020        Post #4 of 4
cont.

Pic #1     4927     On the walk back home through the park in early Spring.   You can see the blob of clay weight on the right wingtip.

Pic #2     4928     And the final pic with a Magnolia tree (which has seen better days),  in bloom.

Pic #3     4934     You can see how off square the wing sits.

The glider was always seeming to go at a much harder left turn all the time.   I think  Huh  the cause is,  in addition to a very slight left rudder,  is an uneven wing leading edge,  resulting from the leading edge "stop" being ever so slightly glued on crooked,   which makes the right wing tip more forward,  than the left wing tip.   Maybe that makes it turn even more left on a left hand circle flight?   More to think about.

But it was good to get out, and blast the Osprey glider around, with the rubber catapult.    These Spring flying days, of low wind and high grass,  are very few.  So long for now.    Cheesy Smiley Grin   Get out and fly (if you can).

The END   of Flight Report #7   OSPREY GLIDER  Wed May 6 2020

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #303 on: June 16, 2020, 09:09:30 AM »

REPLACING THE WINDSHIELD

During the last fliying session,  the windshield could endure the pounding no more.   It cracked along the "score" lines,  and was almost fully separated, from the dried and hard,  strips of  5 min epoxy glue, along the fuse.   Maybe we will try a new windshield with thin wire pegs to hold it on,  instead of glue.
     Also,  the slight offset of the rudder needs to be straightened.

Pic #1     5440     M and B examine the old ripped and broken windshield.

Pic #2     5443     Mandrake traces the pattern from the old  windshield.

Pic #3     5444     The pattern is enlarged a bit to the new outline.

Pic #4     5445     Bloodroot has cut out the windscreen,  and has "scored", with an exacto knife, three bend lines, and bends these edges to 90 degrees to fit the fuse.

Pic #5     5448     Bloodroot checks the fit of screen #2 -  he went too deep with the scoring on screen #1.   Shocked

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #304 on: June 17, 2020, 11:25:36 PM »

OSPREY  20"   SPORTS GLIDER  Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

REMOVE THE TAILPLANE AND REGLUE THE RUDDER STRAIGHT

The hangars were getting crowded,  so we started on the tailplane before fixing the new windshield.
      It took about 12 minutes to dissolve the white glue holding the tailplane on to the fuse.   I used a small brush and some hot water,  and eventually it came apart.
       I scraped the wet tissue bits off of the wood,  and sanded fitted, sanded fitted,  until I got the stab horizontal, and double white glued it to the fuse, and basically watched it dry all evening  Cheesy , and adjusting the light balsa block weight positions etc. while it was tacking up.
     The glider was going left way too much,  so I moved the front of the rudder to the left of center by  about one millimeter,  while keeping the rear of the fuse, and the rear of the rudder, together using a clothes pin.

Pic #1     5467     Fifteen minutes of dissolving the white glue with water,  and the tailplane came right off  (even though I butchered it up a bit).    

Pic #2     5468     I scraped off the wetted tissue with a butter knife and flat nail file tip.

Pic #3     5471     The surfaces have been sanded up, and re-sanded.

Pic #4     5472     Here is the test fit.   I still have a couple of small balsa chunks to put back in the front of the stab after gluing.

Pic #5     5474     All glued up and drying overnight.   You can see that the front of the rudder was moved over slightly to my target position between the two dots.

Pic #6     5463     The rudder is now straight.   But moving the front of the rudder over a bit,  also pulled the stab leading edge crooked too.  Shocked Undecided   Now the stab leading edge and the wing leading edge,  both point to the left ...   Undecided

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #305 on: June 18, 2020, 03:37:45 PM »

OSPREY  20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

REMOVING THE TAILPLANE AND REGLUING THE RUDDER STRAIGHT

Pic #1     5475     The stab is dry,  but I still have two little holes in front of the stab,  that the two tiny orange pieces came out of.   

Pic #2     5476     Mandrake and Bloodroot tie up some fresh elastics from the  1/2  pound of  3/32" wide Tan Super Sport rubber.   On top of the stab at the front,  sit two small balsa sticks (extra long),  to fill in the holes.   The Osprey Glider is now squared up and immobilized like the Lilliputians immobilized Gulliver.

Pic #3      GULLIVER TIED DOWN  -  note the artist in the scene,  painting the scene.

Pic #4     5477     The two sticks have been glued in front of the stab,  to be cut to length later when dry (note the two strips of waxed paper).

NEW WINDSHIELD INSTALLATION

We last left off with the new windshield having been already sized and cut and ready to install.    We will be using  0.024"  diameter round head pin (minus the head),  shafts,  for the pegs,  to hold the windshield in,  without using any glue.

Pic #5     5480     M and B tape down the windscreen solidly,  so they can firmly drive the pins through the plastic and balsa.

Pic #6     5482     Mandrake presses in the pins,  and Bloodroot uses a small droplet of runny thin CA glue,  at the end of a toothpic,  to glue the pin/pegs in.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #306 on: June 19, 2020, 01:03:07 PM »

NEW WINDSHIELD INSTALLATION

Pic #1     5485     All that remains is to cut off the four pin heads,  and  cut off the sticks in front of the stab and remove the waxed paper.

Pic #2     5486     I got one CA glue smear on the side windscreen,  and the four pin heads are cut off.

I have a nagging feeling that these four pins won't be enough to hold the windshield on after hard landings.    But "Hey Ho"  What the heck  ...   here we go anyways.  

BALANCING THE OSPREY GLIDER

Pic #3     5493     M and B tape down the balancing pin jars.  
Large chunk of clay   5.09 g
Small piece of clay     0.58 g
Bare Glider (including dowels and elastics)    19.87 g

Pic #4     5494     It balances just a tad slightly nose heavy,  with just the  5.09 g chunk of clay added to the ballast box.

Pic #5     5495     Front view.

Pic #6     5496     Side view  -   the fuse datum thrust line is just above, and parallel to,  the top edge of the block of balsa.

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #307 on: June 19, 2020, 01:15:40 PM »

OSPREY 20"   SPORTS GLIDER   Vintage Model Company laser cut kit

CHECKING THE ALIGNMENT

Pic #1     5497     Rear view -  the rudder was really  off to the left before.   Now it is more straight.

Pic #2     5498     Not so straight in this pic -  optical illusion ?

Pic #3     5499     The rudder looks straight here.  Maybe a little tiny offset to the right ...

Pic #4     5501     The Osprey Glider is now parked and READY TO FLY !!  ...  again.   Grin Grin

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: