Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 16, 2019, 01:04:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Consolidated PT-3 for Indoor Rubber  (Read 15910 times)
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #425 on: May 30, 2019, 04:35:02 PM »

Nice use of sheet to strengthen the forward cockpit area, good thought. Hopefully it will spread any further stress down the fuselage and reduce the risk of breakage ... good luck with that 4
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #426 on: May 31, 2019, 08:48:54 PM »

That is an elegant solution Pete - the master of repairs Smiley

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #427 on: June 01, 2019, 01:37:59 PM »

Thanks for the kind words. “Master” is not the right one for this job, but covering and respraying are now completed. I will have to accept that it will never look as good as new again I think, as I’m just too bored of repairing it now to really sort it out by stripping everything off and completely redoing both sides including the markings. I shall just live with the remaining wrinkles and bloopers, most of which are the result of its first repair but show up more now as the new bits are nice and smooth! The main thing is to look at it with the light behind it and not shining full on the unforgiving silver! Couple of backlit pics...

Just got to get it all back together now.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Consolidated PT-3 for Indoor Rubber
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #428 on: June 01, 2019, 04:06:56 PM »

Nicely done Pete, you’ve made a good job of a bad break. I hope you get the reward for your hard work when it is flying again.
The “master of repairs” title is fully deserved (I would have stamped on lots of models if I had some of the bad luck that you’ve had recently Sad) but it’s one of those things you don’t really want. I’m sure you’d prefer to be the “master of getting models to never hit anything during their 45sec long winning flights”
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #429 on: June 02, 2019, 01:26:16 AM »

Pete,
        That is a very tidy repair and has the atmoshere of what a full size repair would look like. Training Aircraft lead a very hard life and photos show how care worn they could look, slack fabric was not unknown. Looking forward to seeing further success.
Ricky
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #430 on: June 03, 2019, 08:27:12 AM »

Thank you, Tim and Ricky; you’re very encouraging.

Fardell Aviation is pleased to report that as of today, for better or worse, the repair and restoration of Consolidated PT-3 (serial AC-28-346) is complete.
Reassembly was fairly straightforward and the riggers were delighted to find that, once the wings were slotted back on, all the interplane wires became taut again. Only those going to the fuselage needed reattaching. All missing engine cylinders and even push rods were, surprisingly, all accounted for and reinserted and the uptouching of chipped paint was carried out.  The guilty rudder hinge has, to use the technical term, now been “beefed up” so that theoretically there is no longer any danger of it flapping loose in the prop wash to send the model into any more walls (see accident report 29 April in reply #414) and hopefully the strengthened fuselage will stop it destroying itself when it still flies into those walls anyway.

Following the Management’s conservative decision not to fly at Port Meadow yesterday the Fardell repair shop is (for the first time in quite a while)... EMPTY!
Tim Horne
Silver Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #431 on: June 03, 2019, 04:43:57 PM »

Brilliantly done. From this distance (98 miles according to AA routefinder Grin) you can’t see the join!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #432 on: June 03, 2019, 05:09:48 PM »

Thanks Tim. Let's hope at Nijmegen the judges sit 98 miles away too.  Grin

I've just realised it's NOT quite done after all as I forgot that I need to make new diagonals for the N struts that comprise the cabane. They both broke in the last impact so I think I'll put carbon rod inside them this time.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #433 on: June 04, 2019, 02:28:27 AM »

Thanks Tim. Let's hope at Nijmegen the judges sit 98 miles away too.  Grin

You could always bribe them with free sun-glasses?... kill two birds with one stone!  Cool
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 43

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #434 on: October 07, 2019, 04:01:03 PM »

or turn the lights off...

But I do not understand the reason for your concern...

scale free flight & micro RC
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #435 on: October 07, 2019, 04:23:12 PM »

Quote from: Tim Horne
Brilliantly done.
+1
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: October 07, 2019, 07:53:29 PM »

Very nice.

I hope it flies as well as it looks and does not try to argue with the walls (AGAIN if I remember correctly), table legs and so on.

I removed my old Porterfield CP65 (built during the SFA days) from storage the other day. If did not even complete one circuit of the hall. From an ROG it got about 2 feet of the floor and collided with a table leg. High wing cabin monoplanes don't like that. The wing survived but the cabin structure did not. I put it away too disheartened to attempt a proper repair. Maybe next year sometime after a wait of 10 years or so.

I hope your PT-3 fairs better this time. (I think that is a correct use of the word 'fair', if not you should be able to guess what I mean anyway.)

Paul
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: November 13, 2019, 05:10:29 AM »

Nijmegen update...

Vladimir Alfery has now uploaded a lot more video to YouTube. Huge thanks to him, and also Mike S for capturing the PT-3's official flights for posterity. After a lot of expert advice and trimming on Friday and Saturday morning, by the time it came to the F4D rounds I was nearly there. Lots of left rudder, some right tip-weight and quite a bit of down and right thrust at the noseblock. 15 seconds required to qualify...

Saturday
Round 1  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQoC8c4QVGo
Result: too short (only about 11 seconds)

Round 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXcH6u7HAJM
For this attempt, R. Crossley's advice was to open and flatten the turn with a bit more right thrust and a bit more right tip-weight.
Result: too straight, but luckily I'd asked Richard to stand there for just this eventuality. Very safe hands!

Sunday
These flights were the upshot of my following more concurring advice from Richard and Lars Tolkstam...

Round 3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VRhTfSoMTo
Extra tip-weight removed, extra right thrust left in.
Result: Success!

Round 4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLUoZZE9_Fc
No real changes for this round, except maybe a tiny bit more downthrust at Mike S's suggestion.
Result: more success!
And Mike's video of the same flight from a different angle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80kLF2ubB9g

The plan now is to put it away until the indoor nats. At Walsall I shall follow Mike's advice more fully and try a tad more downthrust to see if I can iron out that stally start.

Thank you all for all the help and encouragement with this model, in both the building (and re-building) and the flying!
Couple of pics from the weekend. I do believe my pilot's smiling!

abl
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Andy Blackburn

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: November 13, 2019, 05:41:43 AM »

Looks really good; should be excellent with a bit more downthrust. Looked like a really good landing (to my untutored eyes).
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #439 on: November 13, 2019, 05:49:02 AM »

Coming along well ... I'm sure you'll iron out the small bumps!  Smiley
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: November 13, 2019, 06:07:28 AM »

Hmmm......... looked really good!
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: November 13, 2019, 08:39:26 AM »

Super progress Pete!  Smiley
charlieman
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: November 13, 2019, 08:54:00 AM »

Looking GREAT! Inspires me to get started on a similar sized Fleet project.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: November 13, 2019, 02:51:56 PM »

Great to see the PT3 looking good in the air, landings are excellent .

OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #444 on: November 13, 2019, 07:19:22 PM »

It was certainly worth persevering with the model Peter. I think it still has a bit more duration up it's sleeve and the landings stand out. I wonder how well a larger version would have gone in that nice hall.

John
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: