Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2019, 12:18:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Consolidated PT-3 for Indoor Rubber  (Read 14134 times)
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: December 06, 2018, 12:55:58 PM »

Pete,
These PT-3 and PT-3As with the fuselage stripe belong to one of two squadrons of the 13th School Group, based at March Field in Riverside, California.  You should possibly find additional photos of their PTs to determine if Wing stars are appropriate.

Mark
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 115

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: December 14, 2018, 06:43:00 PM »

Thanks Mark. I shall probably stick with my original plan (of starless yellow wings and alum. fus.) but will keep my options open.

Anyway, a bit more engine progress. The grass stems came in handy again...
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Consolidated PT-3 for Indoor Rubber
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: December 14, 2018, 10:14:20 PM »

Those grass reeds are interesting - they look fairly consistent in size and not too fragile. What did you use for the rocker covers? Is it paper?
Very charismatic aircraft - it has a user friendly charm.

John
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: December 15, 2018, 06:58:11 AM »

Thanks John. The stem sizes are not quite as consistent as they would be with more careful selection, but should look okay once painted and gunked up a bit. If I was more methodical I'd have sorted the grass into sizes properly before I began. Sometimes you can thin a stem by peeling off a layer too. They're not very fragile. The only issue really, as mentioned before, is how well they take paint.
The rocker covers are mainly scrap balsa, but then covered with paper to smooth out the bodges a bit.
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2018, 05:01:13 AM »

Good work Pete. I really like the lined-paper-rolled-round-dowel wheeze for the cylinders. I'll be copying that at some point I expect.

Stephen.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: December 16, 2018, 05:35:25 AM »

Yes......sometimes it is difficult to get the right image but looks fine there.  Still going all out on this one which is good to see.  I think quite a few photos from various angles would be nice so we can appreciate the finish and detail please.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: December 16, 2018, 06:21:01 AM »

I really like the lined-paper-rolled-round-dowel wheeze for the cylinders. I'll be copying that at some point I expect.
Thanks Stephen; from a master such as yourself that is a compliment indeed! I am pleased with the effect too. I think it looks better than any of my previous attempts with wound thread, which I always had trouble sticking down evenly. I did once try the twisting soft balsa dowel through a threaded nut ruse too, but that didn’t work for me. All my future engine cylinders will be done with this drawing method now I expect.
I think maybe the only better ways to get realistically finned cylinders might be either moulding/vac forming (beyond me at the moment), 3D printing (ditto) or by taking a month off work to cut a gazillion tiny little discs.

Some pipe work added. The little exhaust stubs are rolled paper. The larger pipes at the back are made of bendy sticky string-like stuff from a children’s craft kit. It comes in lots of colours including black.

Close up photos are quite cruel: I think I'd better tidy up those rocker covers a bit more!

« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 07:33:54 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: December 16, 2018, 07:42:43 AM »

Lined paper method looks really good Pete, nice engine  Smiley
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: December 16, 2018, 10:31:17 AM »

Yes, I like the lined effect too Pete.
Engine looks big too... the model will have quite a presence.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2018, 06:21:50 PM »

Thanks chaps. I decided to add bit more gubbins to the front as it’s fairly apparent on photos and on my 3 view. I think this is the paraphernalia for the prop pitch adjustment.

The PT3 has perfect proportions apart from balance for rubber. I fancy a 50" Mills 1.3 one but I'm scared of spokes
Bill, if you’re serious then do the O-17 Courier which is pretty much a PT-3 without the spokies.

RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2018, 09:27:48 PM »

If the engine you are modelling is a Wright J-5 (as per Wikipedia), the gubbins depicted in the photo are platforms for two magnetos. Look for a few photos if you do not already have some.

Hope that helps

Paul
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2018, 02:27:32 AM »

Thanks for that info, Paul. Yes, got quite a few good clear photos to go on. I'm not very good at knowing what's what on an engine so I just copy the bits and stick them on!
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2018, 08:37:38 PM »

What is the weight of that motor... it must be light ?
Asking as I Printed a Le Rhone at 12th scale @ 7 gms  and was wondering what the weight differences might be with a fabricated engine facsimile.
 I 'Could' reprint the thing at ~5 gms if it was necessary.. wondering if it is.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: December 30, 2018, 07:21:20 AM »

Back from my Christmas adventures, and on with the fun...
Fred, weight of the finished engine including the nose block is 10.5g, so at 1/15 scale it's nowhere near as light as your printed 1/12 scale Le Rhone. Still, it's all useful up-front weight I hope.

Some pics...

(The extra noseblock is in case I ever get around to making a scale prop for static judging.)
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: December 30, 2018, 07:46:11 AM »

The motor looks really effective, Pete  Smiley
As much as I use CNC machinery (bar 3d printing), I do like to see hand worked modelling.
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: December 30, 2018, 08:02:41 AM »

Pete, that's got style and character!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: December 30, 2018, 11:36:19 AM »

Nasty smelly oily thing.  What’s wrong with electric!
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: December 30, 2018, 01:00:38 PM »

Very nice work with the engine Pete. I too much prefer the look of hand fabricated parts rather than 3d printed.

How did you do the circular ring in front of the crankcase (wiring shield) ?

Hope you had a nice Christmas too  Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2018, 01:40:56 PM »

A lovely Christmas, thanks Chris. Not much aeromodelling related activity, although whilst at my dad’s house I did check out his workshop to see what his latest RC project is. He’s building a Blackburn Baffin, which looks huge even by his standards. I also admired the Eric Coates trophy; currently in his possession. They spelled his name right on the plaque, but there seems to be a slight mistake with all the model details next to it! He’s not bothered at all, but I would be!

Anyway, you asked about the ring on my dummy engine. I wanted to use a rubber o ring, but didn’t have one big enough. Surprisingly though, gluing  one and a half o rings together with super-glue worked quite well!
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2018, 03:19:18 PM »

I see what you mean with the trophy. There would be less spelling mistakes if an M Smith had won it... !!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy

Congrats to your dad though wonderful models. Blackburn Baffin I had to google  Undecided look forward to seeing that one

Great idea with a flexible rendition of a solid structure... Just about to attempt the Armstrong Siddley Mongoose and associated exhaust pipes on my Tomtit.. you've set me thinking

billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: December 30, 2018, 03:19:54 PM »

s. He’s building a Blackburn Baffin, which looks huge even by his standards. I also admired the Eric Coates trophy; currently in his possession. They spelled his name right on the plaque, but there seems to be a slight mistake with all the model details next to it! He’s not bothered at all, but I would be!
The trophy will be corrected - and so it should be!
Has Terry Manley provided Martin with any docs on the Baffin? When Blackburn closed down and turned into British Aerospace, all the drawings, photos and records were dumped in a skip and Terry rescued most of it.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: December 30, 2018, 04:04:36 PM »

The trophy will be corrected - and so it should be!
Has Terry Manley provided Martin with any docs on the Baffin? When Blackburn closed down and turned into British Aerospace, all the drawings, photos and records were dumped in a skip and Terry rescued most of it.
I'm glad the trophy will be corrected, although, as Chris nearly suggested, if Mike Smith would simply change his surname to Fardell it would save anyone from going to all that trouble!
If it was up to my dad he'd keep this, and all his trophies in a dark dusty cupboard, but my mum insisted not only that it went where visitors could see it, but even incorporated it into the Christmas decorations! Not sure what Eric Coates would have made of the tinsel embellishment!

Re Terry Manley; thanks, I'll ask, but I expect Dad's already picked his brains on the Baffin. He told me that Terry has decided to give up the aeromodelling lark, which will be a huge loss to the RC scale world if he means it. He also said that the Baffin is one of the few aircraft in the Blackburn catalogue that Terry never modelled himself. (Not ugly enough perhaps?)
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: December 30, 2018, 04:21:48 PM »

He told me that Terry has decided to give up the aeromodelling lark, which will be a huge loss to the RC scale world if he means it. He also said that the Baffin is one of the few aircraft in the Blackburn catalogue that Terry never modelled himself. (Not ugly enough perhaps?)
Yes Terry has finished with big RC but I sent him a VMC Bird Dog for Christmas so we'll see how he gets on! He often did similar models as reviews for Eric in the 70s. Terry's Bristol Fighter was the first FF scale model I ever saw fly in 1966 and I can see it now.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: December 30, 2018, 06:09:50 PM »

Yes Terry has finished with big RC but I sent him a VMC Bird Dog for Christmas so we'll see how he gets on!
Nice move! If Terry Manley returns to freeflight scale in any capacity at all then the RC world's loss will be our immense gain!

Meanwhile, back in PT-3 land; many thanks Mike Kelly for the Air Wars stuff you just emailed me. Especially this three view (first pic) which at first inspection seems to be a much less cluttered version of the Joe Nieto drawing I built over (second pic) but with the fatter tyres to match my choice of subject. If it is, then (quite spookily) it's exactly what I need for my scale docs!

EDIT: It also seems to be closely akin to the Air Progress drawing I have (third pic), but with the erroneous tail fin shape corrected. Or it's maybe a combination of both? Either way- very handy to have!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 06:22:24 PM by Pete Fardell » Logged
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2018, 05:27:34 AM »

Bill

Can you persuade Terry to enter the indoor nats with the Bird Dog then?
Not long to go now, but enough time to build a kit scale model!

John M
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: