Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 18, 2021, 03:36:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: RES 50 inch RC Hand Launch Glider  (Read 2364 times)
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2021, 06:09:43 PM »

Ok philly, thanks for the conformation of details. I will give a report later on this setup.

Cheers

Sundance12

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2021, 09:31:45 PM »

Good luck with it Sundance - it looks neat.

John
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2021, 12:07:45 AM »

That's a very '80s looking model. Will be interested to hear how it flies. I have more projects than you can shake a stick at, but yours is making me think about a new wing for the Skeeter.
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2021, 05:11:17 PM »

Thanks OZPAF,

How do you change the wing of the Skeeter, lincoln? This design was not intended to break any design conventions for sure. It was just a straight forward design using ideas of the time. I am expecting it to fly well. I do think that the nose could have been a bit longer to have the battery weight a bit more forward as I did have to add a bit of lead to bring the CofG in line. Flight test day is arriving.
Pouring rain today.

Thanks guys for the responses.

Sundance12

www.northof49tech.com
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2021, 10:49:11 PM »

If I was going to build a modified Skeeter wing, I'd use a thinner airfoil, add something to increase torsional stiffness, and add tapered tips to increas the span to a full 1.5 meters. I've already done the tapered tips once, and they worked out fine, though I might change the shape and methods a little. To add torsional stiffness, I'd add diagonal ribs in front of the spar, or sheeting on the bottom to make a d-tube. I covered the Skeeter I built with Micafilm. I liked it, but maybe it's not as stiff in shear as Monokote. Sometimes, the wing would flutter just a little. I expect with these mods, plus the ones I did on the fuselage, the Skeeter would be competitive with other RC HLGs of its era.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2021, 03:51:02 AM »

I am going to use 50 feet of 1/4 Tan Sport rubber and 125 feet of monofilament line for a high start.
If you have the room then extending the monofiliament to 150' or even a bit more would give you more height.

Unfortunately the TanSS may not last all that long in direct exposure to the Sun and UV. uou should get a quite a few sessions out of it though.

John
lincoln
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2021, 06:21:41 PM »

Tan SS should have more stretch available than latex tubing. It's common to use 3 times the rubber length on high starts, so if it pulls hard enough, I'd suggest trying even more
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2021, 06:22:06 PM »

Tan SS should have more stretch available than latex tubing. It's common to use 3 times the rubber length on high starts, so if it pulls hard enough, I'd suggest trying even more

Ok. cool. I will give things a try, and adapt accordingly.

www.northof49tech.com
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2021, 11:59:15 AM »

Maiden flight today. 50 feet on a small histart. Trimmed out well. Glides as expected, airfoil works well. Design is sound. Rudder may be a bit small but I can live with it. NormF did point this out in previous posts and he was right. I will design another Sailplane in this class perhaps, however,  there are plenty of existing examples of this class of ship. I have to  try a few of them.

Sundance12
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: RES 50 inch RC Hand Launch Glider
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 01:19:46 PM by Sundance12 » Logged

www.northof49tech.com
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2021, 08:36:04 PM »

Congratulations - it's a nice feeling to see your own design fly Smiley

John
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2021, 11:31:11 PM »

Thanks John, I had a silent partner,  Ratz, who did the workup of the plans and made files so that I could build an accurate sailplane. So it has been a collaborative project.
Perhaps a set of plans are possible but I don't know yet. We will see.

I may give it another go tomorrow, I have a small slope to try. Winds have to swing south and stay under 7mph.

Cheers

Sundance12

www.northof49tech.com
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2021, 07:35:15 PM »

Well here's some congratulations as well to your silent partner Ratz.  Smiley

John
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2021, 09:33:10 AM »

Maiden flight today. 50 feet on a small histart. Trimmed out well. Glides as expected, airfoil works well. Design is sound. Rudder may be a bit small but I can live with it. NormF did point this out in previous posts and he was right. I will design another Sailplane in this class perhaps, however,  there are plenty of existing examples of this class of ship. I have to  try a few of them.

Sundance12

Looks nice. Wow, 7oz AUW! I've just started to rehab my 57 inch Flinger w/E205. Even with modern radio equipment it will be very difficult to get the weight below 10 oz (base line is 13 oz as shown). I like your nose length. I suspect this is key to loosing 2 oz. 

As to rudder size, is this a comment about total vertical fin area? I like to have a slightly oversized fin as defined by most stability modeling programing. I find it a bit easier with RC to deal with slight spiral instability rather that directional control. In free flight I like to error the other way!

Do you have details (photos) of your build? I'd like to learn how you got the weight so low. 
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: RES 50 inch RC Hand Launch Glider

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2021, 03:10:57 PM »

Thanks Konrad, I used contest wood, or as light as I had, 7lbs anyway. I used a GWS Pico receiver 72mhz, and micro servos, the 5gr type. AND, heaven forbid... Hallmark craft tissue covering and EasyDope water based finish cut 50% with water. 3 coats or 4.  The battery just fit, a 300mha 2S LiPo into a GWS 6A speed controller only to convert the Voltages to 4.8 for the receiver. The extra nose weight was not overly excessive, perhaps half a standard tire weight segment. Looking at the Flinger, I think my nose length is in the standard ballpark.

I think the fin area is appropriate, the plane is stable, it's just that there is a slight delay in the yawing action when I apply the rudder, just not to my tastes, thus my gripe.  There is adequate yaw and turn control as it stands.

Yes, I have all the images for a build and I have been contemplating this thread with the build. Perhaps a set of basic plans, we will see.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 03:42:20 PM by Sundance12 » Logged

www.northof49tech.com
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2021, 05:52:56 PM »

I think the fin area is appropriate, the plane is stable, it's just that there is a slight delay in the yawing action when I apply the rudder, just not to my tastes, thus my gripe.  There is adequate yaw and turn control as it stands.

Is the fin a plank, or does it have an airfoil section?

To fix would you add fin/rudder area, or add dihedral?

The Sig Riser I build many moons ago had the same problem. I did not like.

Best-
Dave
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2021, 05:58:59 PM »

I can't speak for Sundance.

But I'd add more dihedral to cure a response problem. But it is so much easier and more practical to add more rudder area.  Just watch out for spiral instability with too large a vertical fin area.

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2021, 08:34:15 PM »

I like to have a slightly oversized fin as defined by most stability modeling programing. I find it a bit easier with RC to deal with slight spiral instability rather that directional control. In free flight I like to error the other way!

I agree. This is the best way for RC. It sounds like you are a touch too stable in yaw and it is fighting you just a bit. I would consider just extending the height of the fin/ rudder a bit - 5-10% or so.

You may lose a little spiral stability but in practice under RC it is not a problem as the better response will override that.

Nice work to get it down to that weight.

John
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2021, 05:40:18 AM »

Maiden flight today.

Looks really nice!

How much dihedral does she have?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up