Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 04, 2020, 02:01:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Fike (again)  (Read 695 times)
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 10, 2018, 02:36:11 AM »

In amongst all the discussion around the Open classes, I thought i'd try a little experiment with regard to just how accessible the open classes actually are to a relative newcomer to indoor scale competition flying (which, granted, i'm not, having competed for the past decade or so). This is the result: it's as simple and small as I could make it, but the outlines are accurate, and it should fly well. So, I expect it to do poorly in static, but the compensation will hopefully be in the flying performance, if it goes as well as my other Fike(s). Will be interesting to see what it does in competition. Dave Banks has pulled off another masterpiece pilot, and the Nick Aikman (Green Man) balsa was superb and a pleasure to work with: thanks to both. 

Stats are 1/20 scale, 12" span, 18.5g. Voodoo 10 atomic workshop powertrain accessible by removing the lot on a tray together with the noseblock, which is magnetted on. Markings are laser decals that I generated on my PC and Richard kindly printed for me.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Fike (again)
Fike (again)
Fike (again)
Fike (again)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 02:51:42 AM by Graham Banham » Logged
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 02:51:42 AM »

Graham, that's a really attractive model! If I sound surprised, it's because I've never taken much notice of the Fike before, bracketing it with the Lacey, but it's like a Piper Cub drawn with a ruler. I'm interested to know why you decided on 12" .
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 03:07:02 AM »

Graham,
            That is a really interesting approach. You should do moderately well in static and not be as heavily penaised as the peanut rules do, it has to fly well but not in the same manner as a peanut does. I am on my second peanut and they are capable of a minute plus in duration mode. I guess for open flying duration is not the prime aim and to get the flight quality will require a slightly different approach. Not the tight spiral climb for altitude. I look forward to the result.
Ricky
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 150

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2018, 03:40:55 AM »

That's a lovely Fike, Graham! (And evidently 'lovely Fike' is not an oxymoron!)
You certainly get a lot of wing even at 12" span.
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2018, 05:27:32 AM »

Thanks all!

Bill:

12" works out to exactly 1/20 scale matching the pilot figure, but the main reason was that my previous Fike with the same powertrain is 'full' peanut sized and weighs 21.9g. At this size and weight the performance with the Voodoo 10 can be marginal. On a good day though even that one will head for the ceiling in a venue like Bushfield Leisure Centre in Peterborough.

So going slightly smaller has reduced the bulk and weight, whilst still maintaining most of the wing area. At 6.7g/dm2 the wing loading on the new one is less than the old one despite the smaller size and wing area, due to the weight reduction. I have sacrificed scale structure (no rear fus side stringer, alternate instead of rib for rib wing), but as the static score will be low anyway, I went for lightness.

Ricky:

Yes it needs to fly realistically including take-off and landing for a minimum of 15 seconds. I hope this one will do ok as the last one flies for as long as I set the timer for!

g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 49

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2018, 05:35:19 AM »

Hi Graham,

nice model you have there. Beautiful finish, I wonder if a newcomer to open classes can achieve it with the first go...

I am a bit confused about scale and size, please help.

You mention 1/20 scale and 12" span, that would translate to a full size wing span of 20ft, or 6,1 meters. According to wikipedia, the full size was about 29ft, or 8,86 meters. What am I missing here?

Hoping to see you in November,

George

scale free flight & micro RC
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 49

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2018, 05:39:24 AM »

ok, probably got the wrong Fike model...

Fike E, wingspan 22 ft

Fike D, wingspan 29 ft

sorry..

scale free flight & micro RC
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 05:43:53 AM »

You've got it George

It was various spans, starting at 20 feet, then 20 feet 0.5 inches with the initial tip end plates, then finally the 22 feet you noted with an extra tapered bay added to the wing tips, and the end plates.

Yes: see you in November! 
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 05:40:37 PM »

I must admit having seen your larger version fly (at Peterborough) it is very "real" with take off and airspeed - I know a few radio people who could do well to emulate that! 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: