Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2019, 01:11:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Millie’s Focke Wulf  (Read 1127 times)
Ex Member

« on: August 14, 2018, 06:57:31 AM »

My Daughter Millie is 13.  She has taken a little interest in model Aeroplanes, sometimes helping me wind or launch and a few times taking videos.

She is a bit of an all rounder at school, being quite artistic, but also keen on science, especially Physics.  Of late she has though that Engineering may be a path for her, but we have had a number of phases with different things, as kids do.  She has without any supervision built lots of stuff with Lego Technic.

Anyhow, I have spent a lot of time with her brother Jimbo and his models, and trying to be a balanced dad I offered her the chance to build a model. And to my surprise she said yes.

She settled on the Guillows Focke Wulf, which I suggested for the same reasons as for James, ie the robust nature etc...

She made a start yesterday, and before long had, with little instruction, built the tail Surfaces to a high standard.  Watching I realised how much better her fine motor skills are than Jimbo’s.  Only three years separate them, but there is a world of difference

A  Few pictures....

Andrew
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Millie’s Focke Wulf
Millie’s Focke Wulf
Work In Progress
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 08:18:18 AM »

Good for her! You're going to need a bigger model box for the Indoor Nationals Wink
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2018, 09:07:40 AM »

I see what you mean by "robust" Andrew! Compared to the stab on the Chipmunk this one is built like a battleship!!

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 134

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2018, 11:03:50 AM »

We had two boys before we accidentally had our daughter, and I can attest by experience girls are born with a few things we boys struggle with from early on, fine motor skills, and class are just two of them. She was the best mistake we ever made!

The Threadkiller!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2018, 11:35:23 AM »

Great to see the Darby aeromodelling dynasty expanding still further! You’re so right about girls’ fine motor skills being more advanced; 6 year old boys in my classes only get through life by having 6 year old girls on hand to do tricky tasks for them, like tying their shoelaces, or saving them when they regularly get trapped in their own jumpers whilst foolishly attempting to remove them unaided. I’m not sure we chaps ever fully catch up (as anyone can attest who’s had their wife effortlessly perform some simple everyday chore immediately after their own cack-handed attempt has failed!)*

*Although I did once know someone who knew someone who claimed to have met a man who could put a duvet correctly into its cover unaided in about ten minutes flat. Probably just an urban myth.
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »

Andrew, great to have youngsters involved. Could be some sibling rivalry going on? All great!
  I like the 190 and it is on my to-do list. If you haven't seen it, there is one restored 190 that has been flying at airshows alongside a 109. See: "Original Fw-190A-5 - BMW-801 - Only Flying Original in the world" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PviNlOwihIw It also shows a good view of the L/G retraction and extension inside the hangar.
ian
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 05:48:02 PM »

My experience in working with kids is not that the girls have any better fine motor skills, but that they follow directions much better than the boys and are more patient.  I have my own theories on whether this is nature or nurture which has lead to some lively discussions with my wife who is a therapist.  We, probably, do not want to get into that one here.

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 05:53:06 PM »

...*Although I did once know someone who knew someone who claimed to have met a man who could put a duvet correctly into its cover unaided in about ten minutes flat. Probably just an urban myth.

It took my wife and I 25 years into our marriage before we could agree on a formal china pattern.  (I'm not one of those guys who leaves all the decorating decisions up to his wife and ends up living her her house.)  I got into a discussion of china patterns with my next door neighbor's wife and she observed, "You know more about china patterns than any straight man has a right to!"  Putting a duvet cover on?  Hah!  Child's play!   Grin

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2018, 06:09:59 PM »

Putting a duvet cover on?  Hah!  Child's play!   Grin

We shall need video evidence.
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2018, 07:19:06 PM »

Yup, need a vid.  I had to google duvet.  It is great that your kids took on a build.  Mine wouldn't approach a model build without a court order.  Wink

Are you going to have her replace the plastic nose with a built up wooden nose or build a box like some do?  Never built this one, but I've seen two of them fly very well. I'm sure they were greatly modified, but still.
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2018, 08:11:16 PM »

Not the only way to do a Guillow's nose but one that works well.

KF
Re: Millie’s Focke Wulf

Ex Member

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2018, 02:58:54 AM »

I will probably leave it as stock, this is more about the building than the flying...  I have some thick plastic washers that I can sand at an angle to give some initial down and right, and then we will see how it goes.

I don’t think I was suggesting that Millie’s motor skills were better than James’ as she is a girl, that could be true I have no comparator, but more that it amazes me that with only three years between them how much more advanced she is in this respect.  Ie, it amazes me how quickly kids develop in general.

I too can put a quilt cover on, my mum taught me how, as well as the basics of cooking.  It was always reasonably likely that I would end up going to university and she thought that I should be able to look after myself!  I do most of the cooking at home aside from the fact I enjoy it, My wife works full time too, and it is the simple division of the tasks to run the house and look after the kids...

Andrew
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2018, 04:14:53 AM »

Sorry, that was my misunderstanding. It's just me who can't do duvet covers very well then! (I should add that I also did this as a student, and now do lots of cooking and other things around the house too- just not quite as efficiently as Carole). And at ages 5 and 6 there is certainly a fine motor skills difference between boys and girls in my experience. I'm generalising of course.

Anyway, James and Millie both clearly have fine motor and other skills in abundance and I'm enjoying this build. I've long fancied doing a Guillows P40 and this might be the spur.
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2018, 04:19:32 AM »

I used to teach 11 year olds and by that time there was little difference in aptitude or application but a worrying difference in aspiration was appearing.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2018, 04:24:37 AM »

What a boost to have the kids that interested in what you do Andrew. Darby Aviation on the horizon?
Cheers and good luck to you all.

John
Ex Member

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 04:15:15 AM »

Some more good work done...

The weather was a little cooler yesterday morning and so the wings were built whilst the sun heated the pool a bit!

Andrew
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 02:50:47 PM »

*Although I did once know someone who knew someone who claimed to have met a man who could put a duvet correctly into its cover unaided in about ten minutes flat. Probably just an urban myth.

My wife leaves me alone with it until the swearing stops, it's usually mostly on by then.

Building models while you wait for the pool to heat up sounds wonderfully idyllic
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: