Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 11, 2019, 12:26:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
 
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1/2A Mini-Weaver  (Read 457 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
skyrocket
Gold Member
*****

Kudos: 28
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 672

Topic starter
nothing hard is ever easy



Ignore
« on: August 25, 2018, 10:15:49 AM »

I'm building this model right now and I'm getting ready to cover it. I plan on covering it with tissue and don't want to use dope so the question is : What can I use to fuel proof it? Can I get away with using spray acrylic on the wing and stab? Does urethane work as a fuel proofer? I'm trying to keep it as original as I can and plan on using a TD .049 and Tatone tick-off timer. Any thoughts out there?
Logged
glidermaster
Gold Member
*****

Kudos: 19
Offline Offline

Canada Canada

Posts: 861




Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 01:46:48 PM »

What do you plan to finish the tissue with? Eze Dope?
This is quite interesting for me, as I am having a devil of a time finding something that is fuel proof against high nitro fuel.
So far we have tried Matrix, a 2 part automotive clear coat, and Fullerplast, which is used on high end electric guitars. Neither have worked, except against FAI fuel (zero nitro) and diesel. Aerogloss dope is apparently fuel proof, but is absurdly expensive and hard to find.

Klasscote (?) Paints work well, but the clear not so much (apparently).
Interesting question.
John
Logged

Gliders are a part of me.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member
******

Kudos: 50
Offline Offline

New Zealand New Zealand

Posts: 1,151



Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 04:43:27 PM »

I built this model some years back and won 1/2A power with it at our Nats one year.   They go really well.  I tissue covered mine but nothing really keeps fuel out of tissue.   I used a flood off system which did exacerbate the problem however.  Also high nitro.   I think if I built another one I'd be inclined to cover it in an iron on film.  The model itself is very light and would bear any weight penalty if indeed there is one
Logged
flydean1
Gold Member
*****

Kudos: 21
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 987



Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 10:51:17 PM »

My standard finish method which I freely lifted from Don DeLoach.

On bare balsa fuselages.  Two coats full strength nitrate dope.  Lightly sand, then attach, with thinner, light weight (.5 oz.) over the entire front end, then about 1/2 way from the pylon to the stab platform.  Give this several days to gas off.  West Systems epoxy weil thinned.  Use the slowest curing hardener so it will self-level overnight.  Rub it all over everything using rubber gloves.  Absorb any excess with a paper towel roll.  Then a very thin coat of Klass Kote sprayed.  Proof against 65% nitro.

Wings and stab that have diagonal or geodetic ribs are covered with Ultra Cote Lite.  Works for me.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!