Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 18, 2019, 08:08:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Can I convert a Dallaire Sportster 1/2A to electric?  (Read 311 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 26

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2018, 08:49:56 PM »

I have and absolutely gorgeous Dallaire Sportster my Dad built many years ago. 52" span. I'm wondering about converting it to electric free flight? I would like to see this bird in the air again but no desire to get back into R/C, and the price of the .020 and .049 engines have gone insane.

I don't know what the covering is, on the wing it is clear, looks like thin plastic, maybe monokote? I will need to repair a couple small holes in the bottom of the fuse.

What do folks think? If so I would appreciate recommendations on motor, battery, and ways to limit motor run without radio control.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Can I convert a Dallaire Sportster 1/2A to electric?

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
ddock
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 07:58:01 AM »

Check out the latest Model Aviation Mag. A Dallaire just like yours converted to electric.
Denny
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 10:05:21 AM »

Yes, you can convert the model to electric.

From Page 63, Sept, 2018.
That looks like an R/C version from a Spirit of Yesteryear (SOY) kit. He is using a Rimfire "400" brushless motor on [email protected] mAh cell drawing about 130 watts. This will result in a ship that has about 3 times the performance of the Cox powered 1/2A Texaco.

For the SOY model Brodak recommends a much more economical set up. Still too powerful for FF in my opinion.
http://brodak.com/electric-kits/spirit-of-yesteryear/dallaire-sportster-free-flight.html

I don't know what is available today in the way of timers but I'm using Hubin timers in my C/L and FF models
http://brodak.com/electric-accessories-1/timers.html

All the best,
Konrad
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 10:18:54 AM by Konrad » Logged

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: