Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 26, 2019, 08:21:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wanting to electrify a Dallaire Sportster  (Read 436 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 27, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »

I'm hoping this is the correct forum for this.
I have a beautiful 52" span Dallaire Sportster my Dad built many years ago for 1/2A Texaco.  I would like to know if it's possible to convert it to electric Free Flight, and how to go about choosing motor, prop, battery, timer, that sort of thing.

The airframe weighs in at 286 grams. It appears to be covered in monokote, and I will likely need to recover at least part of the fuselage as the covering is pretty brittle and already has a couple of small holes in the bottom.

Rather than removing the push rods and disabling the elevator and rudder I'm planning to make a clamping bar in the cab for the push rods so I can adjust them for trimming.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Wanting to electrify a Dallaire Sportster

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 03:45:35 PM »

Hellloooo ..... Anybody out there? Anyone?  Smiley Smiley

Maybe I asked the question wrong. Let me try again.  Where is the best place to go to learn about electric flight systems, such as matching motor, ESC and battery to plane based on size. weight, flight envelope. 

I have a 10 oz. 340 sq inch floater that I would like to fly with an electric motor, but I know absolutely Zero about electric flight.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 35

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 04:18:17 PM »

Hellloooo ..... Anybody out there? Anyone?  Smiley Smiley

Maybe I asked the question wrong. Let me try again.  Where is the best place to go to learn about electric flight systems, such as matching motor, ESC and battery to plane based on size. weight, flight envelope.  

I have a 10 oz. 340 sq inch floater that I would like to fly with an electric motor, but I know absolutely Zero about electric flight.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
HIP is the best place. So tell us what you want to accomplish. 1/2A Texaco uses a sub 100 watt glow engine. Actually I think it is a sub 50 watt engine and when turning the 8 inch props of the Texaco class it was down around 35 watt.  How much nose weight do you need to make balance?

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 05:40:57 PM »

I have no idea Konrad. I know right now the airframe has about a 1/2 ounce chunk of lead attached under the stab. I was astonished to see that considering how short the nose is.  I'm still waffling about whether to try converting it to rubber or electric.

I do plan to leave the push rods in place if they don't get in the way of a rubber motor and make a clamping bar in the cabin so I can use them to set trim.

Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 06:12:12 PM »

I have no idea Konrad. I know right now the airframe has about a 1/2 ounce chunk of lead attached under the stab. I was astonished to see that considering how short the nose is.  I'm still waffling about whether to try converting it to rubber or electric.

I do plan to leave the push rods in place if they don't get in the way of a rubber motor and make a clamping bar in the cabin so I can use them to set trim.
Rubber?
1/2A Texaco is a SAM R/C competition class. As such the force arrangement for free flight may have been changed (AKA building errors Roll Eyes ). I have to ask why not keep it RC? In the long run I find R/C a lot less expensive than free flight. And with a local RC provider like Aloft Hobbies it really is very practical.
https://alofthobbies.com/avionic-rcb6i.html

If going electric what do you have as a power supply and charger?

Let us know what you are thinking and some of us might be able to give you some guidance. She looks rather nice, I for one would fly her as a 1/2A Texaco.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 06:36:39 PM »

Arrggh! I must be speaking in different languages as I can't seem to get what I'm trying to do across to folks.

Yes, I do know that this design was originally for 1/2A Texaco, but I have no interest in that.  I have zero R/C equipment. None, zero, zilch, zip nada. I also do not have a budget to purchase any.
I have zero model airplane engines, and at today's prices, no budget or interest in getting any.  What I have seen of prices a motor and battery and charger would be cheaper initially and over the long run than a glow or diesel.

I just want to be able to walk out into a field for no other reason than to see a ship my Dad built flying again.  It would be something I take out only once or twice a year for fun and remembering.

Konrad
Titanium Member

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 06:57:57 PM »

Arrggh! I must be speaking in different languages as I can't seem to get what I'm trying to do across to folks.

Yes, I do know that this design was originally for 1/2A Texaco, but I have no interest in that.  I have zero R/C equipment. None, zero, zilch, zip nada. I also do not have a budget to purchase any.
I have zero model airplane engines, and at today's prices, no budget or interest in getting any.  What I have seen of prices a motor and battery and charger would be cheaper initially and over the long run than a glow or diesel.

I just want to be able to walk out into a field for no other reason than to see a ship my Dad built flying again.  It would be something I take out only once or twice a year for fun and remembering.
I think what you want to do is not practical with the model you mention. The Dallaire looks too heavy to fly as a rubber ship. Besides there is a lot of support equipment needed to fly this large a rubber powered model (not worth the 2 or 3 times a year flight). Electric also has a large up front cost with timers, and if going brushless an ESC, chargers, and batteries. For 2 or three flights a year I'd look a brushed motors no need for an ESC. Also Lipo batteries only last about 2 years (defined as taking 80% of rated capacity). With your constraints I think I'd look for a Cox 0.049 even a product 0.049 should fly her well. Otherwise hang her from the ceiling and enjoy your dad's work.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 07:54:00 PM »

Good points, I will have to give them serious consideration.  If I went glow I'd need to get engine, fuel, battery, plus the mess and cleanup after each run. Electric I'd need motor, battery, timer.  So yeah, maybe just hang her back up and take her down to clean off the dust every so often.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: