Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 04:39:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Would a Dallaire Sportster qualify as "Old Timer"?  (Read 391 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: August 31, 2018, 04:03:14 PM »

Hello Folks, I have a question:

I inherited this 52" Dallaire Sportster when my Dad passed. He had built it to dabble in 1/2A Texaco, flew it maybe half a dozen times then took out the electronics and engine and hung it up in his shop.

What do you folks think of the idea of converting it to rubber power free flight? It weighs 289 grams as it is in the photos and is in excellent shape. I figure on recovering the fuse as the white covering has become brittle and fragile which will make it easier to get in and build up for a rear motor peg. The transparent orange seems to be very sound. I can easily build a new nose block for it.

I had considered converting it to electric but not so sure I want to go that way.

Anyway, would like to know if this is a bad idea or not.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Would a Dallaire Sportster qualify as "Old Timer"?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:39:18 PM by Dan Snow » Logged

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 04:18:11 PM »

Being a gas model, it qualifies for no rubber-powered event that I know of.

Having said that, if you just want to try the conversion for fun, that is something you can do.

--george

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 04:38:32 PM »

I'm sorry, I should have been more clear, I have no intention of competing with it. I was attempting, rather poorly, to be humorous. My reference to old timer was in reference to is the design old enough to be considered an "Old time design".

It is a gorgeous airplane, my Dad was a meticulous highly skilled model builder, and I would like to see the ship iin the air. I have no desire to get back into RC, hence the thought of either rubber or electric free flight.

I also just realized I forgot to attach the photos to the original post, just added them.

strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2018, 06:03:19 PM »

i think something that large, your main challenge will be finding a suitable flying site, not to mention, the hiking involved in retrieving it.  Going electric would be a lot easier than rubber, I think.  Rubber would require a special stooge.  A winder designed for a Wakefield would probably work though.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 06:43:04 PM »

Finding a large flying site is not a real issue around here. And I agree electrifying it would be a lot simpler than converting it to rubber.

ffkiwi
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 06:51:33 PM »

A couple of points-while it is easy enough to convert a rubber model to IC or electric, the converse does usually hold-models designed for IC-especially shapely rounded fuselage types-usually have solid formers-so where would you put the rubber motor-without having to embark on a huge amount of fuselage internal surgery? This is not to say it couldn't be done-simply that it would take a lot of work-and you run the risk of ruining your father's craftsmanship in the process. This is before you even take into consideration that rubber models are built (generally) to be just strong enough to take the winding stresses of a fully wound motor-and not much more-any additional strength also being weight-and therefore reducing performance-so even if you did succeed in modifying the fuselage to take a rubber motor-the structure might well still be way  too heavy to yield any decent flying performance.....

Secondly-what on earth is wrong with fitting an IC engine and flying it F/F as it was  originally?  These days there are plenty of timer options-including electronic multifunction ones suitable for both IC and electric (though not usually the same individual timer)-which will allow you to set the engine run time, and also a DT to limit the overall flight time [in the case of electric motors there is also the option of programming the throttle ramp up, % full throttle, and ramp down phases of the motor run.   Have a look at :   https://www.densmodelsupplies.co.uk/index.php?c=e-zee_timers           taking particular note of items EFF4   and ICFF3      [I can personally vouch for the usefulness of the (single function) SDG1 DT timer as a DT timer, if you simply want to control the engine run by limiting fuel and not worry about timer controlled engine cutouts]

Of course the ultimate luxury in FF is an RDT system-of which several are available-The Aeris, Bauer and LeoBodmar systems-from Italy, the US and the UK respectively. With these you can safely fly FF just about anywhere-secure in the knowledge you can instantly DT the model on command to terminate the flight if the model nears the boundaries of the flying site or approaches trees, power lines etc.......and it is not radio CONTROL-the RDT function is single and irreversible on the flight of the model, each time it is used.  Note that you can also use it in conjunction with a conventional clockwork or electronic timer as well-to override whatever 'fixed' time has been previously set on the onboard timer.  And even if the model is fitted it-you do not HAVE to use it on every flight, if the model is flying sedately, you have a large enough site, there is no wind etc-you can let the model glide down naturally to a landing, without external interference if everything is fine-the RDT just gives you that extra element of security when you need it-including (if you're quick on the button!) the ability to avert a crash following a bad launch-or an obstacle such as a moving or stationary vehicle appearing in the flight path.

ChrisM
  'ffkiwi'
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2018, 08:46:27 PM »

Looking at the plans for the Dallaire I believe only one bulkhead, F!, would possibly need to be opened up for a motor.

As you can tell, I have no experience in either electric or rubber free flight, having just built my first rubber powered model in close to 50 years. Hence the questions.

289 grams for a 52" span is heavy? I realize that is weight without motor, but still I didn't think it was that bad.

Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 11:24:53 AM »

So, you say that finding a large flying site is no problem, I would have to agree with ChrisM... Why not find a Cox Black Widow or a Golden Bee, screw it on the front end (That's what it looks like it had originally), secure the pushrods down, and just go fly the darn thing. I certainly would not try to convert it to rubber or electric, and I wouldn't even bother trying to find a motor timer. Just fill the gas tank as far as you dare and go fly it. It's got to be already fuel-proofed.

Oh, and, it if it were me, I wouldn't even bother trying to rig a DT. You say you got lots of room, so just go fly it.

Just a very quick search found a used Golden Bee for $25.00 on Ebay.

What's the worst case scenario? You go fly it, it hooks into a boomer thermal and it flys home to Papa. I personally think this would be a fitting tribute to your dad, but that's just me. I'm sure that 99% of the readers here would just bristle at the thought of flying it without a DT.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: