Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 20, 2019, 08:29:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Lightweight strong spinners  (Read 951 times)
algy
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Australia Australia

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 26, 2009, 03:56:07 AM »

Hi,
Some one was asking about making spinners on one of the forums and I cannot find the thread so have posted it here.

This idea was published some time ago in the Aeromodeller magazine. It is simple and very elegant. Could also I guess use it to mold other lighlweight items for scale models.

Cheers

Algy
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Lightweight strong spinners
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 70

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 08:56:10 AM »

Thanks for the post algy, I like that tip, I will have to try it, I'm sure that it could server as a foundation for other techniques to develop from.

Sundance12

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 10:19:14 AM »

I think Hepcat posted that somewhere (not with the article, though) and I made one with 2 plies and a 5-minute epoxy fill. It was rubbery for 2 or 3 weeks 'til it finally stiffened up, and I never pursued it. I thought at the time that dope would be the better medium, but never tried it. Now I will.
A.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 126

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 06:46:13 AM »

I don't use 5 min. epoxy at all anymore for precisely the rubbery reason mentioned. I've had the opportunity to try a HUGE number of the so-called 5 minute wonders and have found them all seriously lacking - the biggest being the high heat released during the cure and the lack of "penetration". The shelf life of the hardener is also very short (< 3 months) and should be stored in a cool, light protected area - most modelers have the stuff much longer and who knows how long the stuff was in storage and on the hobby shop shelf. Once the hardener starts to discolor or change consistency, it's time to dispose of (NOT in the garbage).

One place you do NOT want to use the stuff is to glue servos (protected with tape or shrink tubing) into composite wings - the high heat released during the cure WILL deform the wing surface.

I personally use 15 minute hard-ender and ONLY when I need a quick fix with enough time for adjustments, and can be sped up with a few passes of a heat gun.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
p40qmilj
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Canada Canada

love that P40Q

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 07:41:08 AM »

Cheesy
Algy Can u email me the article [email protected]

Thankx Jim
julio
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 10:20:06 PM »

p40qmilj (Jim)

Just in case. If you click in Algy's pic and you can't read the article, click in the small square with an arrow at the top (right) of the pic and you will see it fullsize. Then you can save it.
Sorry if you already knew that Embarrassed

Julio
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Lightweight strong spinners

I think I will stay a novice forever.
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

United States United States

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 11:29:09 PM »

Thanks Julio,
I did not know that and I was struggling to read the small print. Another good tip!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: