Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 06, 2019, 03:35:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Hawker Tomtit 1/12 scale  (Read 8192 times)
3view
Silver Member

Kudos: 14

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2019, 05:28:17 PM »

Likewise I can't wait to see the Tomtit perform.

So impressed with your exhaust system I've just ordered a pack of Hearty clay just to see if I can find a use for it.

Steve
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: July 06, 2019, 08:26:27 PM »

Very impressive Chris.

John
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 36

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2019, 01:28:31 PM »

Thanks guys  Grin

I had another trimming session with the Tomtit yesterday which proved that the climb out and glide look good but spiral stability is still somewhat lacking.

Everything  looks great in straight line but once a turn is started, unless its flat calm, the raised wing from the turn across the wind is not corrected and it digs in.   I will add a touch more dihedral which I'm hopefull will cure that  Huh

With the hearty clay exhaust I sealed the outside as if you get them wet they start to break down, rubbing them when wet produces a black mark on your finger. I'm not sure how they would cope with castor oil being blown at them so decided it's best to seal them.  A light coat of matt Aerokote fuelproofer seems to have done the trick
 They stood up to the abuse better than I thought they would. I did break one side but I kept the parts and re-cyno'd them back together today and you can't really tell they've been broken.. I found once you've cyno'd it back together if you wet the part around the break you can gentle rub some harty clay around the joint to disguise it further. Its definitely been worth getting the black coloured clay, it makes making and repairing them much easier

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Hawker Tomtit 1/12 scale
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 02:33:01 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
DHnut
Gold Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2019, 10:08:32 PM »

Chris,
        Does the lack of spiral stability occur in both directions? Also is it random. Stan has had a similar issues with the Wildibeast and has used a little bit of down left aileron and held the turn with left rudder. Prior to that it was variable in the direction it took. He also moved the CG back to about 30% from 25%. This is always the dangerous time for any model trying to understand what is going on. The information on Hearty Clay is useful and will hopefully avoid any disaters when I use it in other appications.
 Ricky
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 54

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2019, 03:20:02 AM »

I had another trimming session with the Tomtit yesterday which proved that the climb out and glide look good but spiral stability is still somewhat lacking.

Everything  looks great in straight line but once a turn is started, unless its flat calm, the raised wing from the turn across the wind is not corrected and it digs in.   I will add a touch more dihedral which I'm hopefull will cure that  Huh
Chris, the Tomtit has perfect proportions for a FF model and I'm sure more dihedral will help. Having looked closely at the photos, which will admittedly distort things, are the wings warp-free (there is apparent washin on the starboard upper) and what are the relative incidences top and bottom?
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: July 28, 2019, 04:39:07 AM »

Hi Ricky

Lack of stability occurs in both directions, which is why I'm thinking its lack of spiral stability rather than anything else.

Bill

It actually has a small amount of washout on both tips although it doesn't look like that in the photos. Wing incidence is equal top and bottom though I tried to make sure any error was to favour the top wings, which I think I have from memory... I may check that. I will check again for warps but all was square .

I'm making up some wing joiners that'll bring the dihedral to the same as the D Marsh Hawker Hind plan

I think its nearly there as sometimes I get away with it but I'm not sure that will work trying to fly in competition!

Meanwhile its time to make the remaining fiddly bits
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: July 28, 2019, 07:51:40 AM »

Dihedral, then Chris. If you have a photo in flight you might see how much the wings are rising. If the model is small and light and the joiners relatively thick, it may not be much. It isn't always apparent when watching in real time.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: July 28, 2019, 01:38:32 PM »

Thanks Bill. The pictures I have show there is some deflection but I have increased the 'static' dihedral to 1" at the tip. Looking at it on the bench it looks the same to me but the rule says otherwise.

Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2019, 01:15:35 PM »

I thought I'd stick some pics on here now its finished and all the twidddly bits I'm going to add have been added. Well it's the Nats next weekend ...so while its still in one piece Wink  

LASTWOODSMAN
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: August 18, 2019, 01:25:17 PM »

Thanks for those nice pics.  That is truly a great looking plane ...  Shocked Cool

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 123

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2019, 02:31:39 PM »

That’s a really splendid model, Chris! The general patina looks spot on to me, especially those lovely rib-taped wings. I’m greatly looking forward to seeing it in action next weekend.
TheLurker
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2019, 03:26:17 PM »

Lovely.
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2019, 03:28:59 PM »

That looks superb, Chris  Smiley
I do so hope I can make it next weekend!

Excellent weather and scale competition to absorb would be the best 60th birthday present I could ever have .... even the wife promises to enjoy it!
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2019, 03:32:44 PM »

Yes, it looks a treat. I like the rendition of the panelling and Dzus (?) fasteners. Good luck with it. It looks like you've tweaked the dihedral - have you managed to try it?
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2019, 04:56:13 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments

Bill - Yes dihedral tweeked ... er no not had a chance. ... but on a nice open circuit in the beautiful calm of the weekend
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: August 19, 2019, 09:07:56 PM »

Chris that has definitely repaid all your work. Beautiful shots. The first and the last really caught my eye. The silver and the rib tapes in the first and the last looks very realistic.

Good luck with the trim flights.

John
3view
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: September 04, 2019, 04:50:07 PM »

Squirrelnet,

Just seen the nats results.  Your 1445 static score was pretty respectable, you need to pin down the judges and ask them what they thought of your model?  There might be a few easy changes that might bump your marks up even higher.

Sorry to say that I didn't witness any of your flights.

Steve
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: September 05, 2019, 02:08:56 AM »

Thanks Steve I will try to do that...

You didn't miss much with my flying on the Saturday, Sunday was better where it did a much better impression of an aeroplane.

Really enjoyed seeing the Chipmonk flying, very impressive stuff

Chris
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2019, 01:51:02 PM »

Thought I would just do a quick update on the Tomtit.

I thought there maybe some interest in how the Hearty Clay faired at the Nats in the rough and tumble, and the abrasive surface of the Barkstone runway. Amazingly they held up very well with no major damage, which to be honest was a surprise
I had a couple hard arrivals which knocked the lower cylinders off and with them snapped the exhaust downpipe which joins onto the main exhaust but its easilly repaired using sections made up the moulds and cyno'd on

The last flights at the Nats were very promising but a bit unpredictable. The unpredicatbility seems to lie in the changing from the original 1/8" carbon wing dowels to 14 swg wire dowels to slightly increase the dihedral. To do this I sleeved the wing tubes with smaller tubes but this has increased the tolerance in alignment and incidence to 'sloppy' creating a bit of a random flight pattern and distinct left turn ( again) so the bottom wings will have their dowels replaced with the correct size for tube for 14 swg wire and everything reset. This requires surgery however !
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: October 05, 2019, 01:57:33 PM »

the bottom wings will have their dowels replaced with the correct size for tube for 14 swg wire and everything reset. This requires surgery however !

Before breaking out the scalpels and retractors, try wrapping the dowels with eg Tamiya masking tape
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: October 05, 2019, 02:01:12 PM »

Too late ....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]   Go Up
Print