Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 25, 2020, 05:57:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How to attach struts?  (Read 248 times)
Jetsrforkids
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 24, 2020, 08:56:40 PM »

What is the best method to attach wing struts to a 24” Piper Clipper? I’m afraid if I just glue them, they will likely rip off in a hard landing. The model is already covered. Any good techniques?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 186

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 12:21:48 AM »

I don't know the kit but I do have a 36"WS RC Bird Dog which has similar struts. If the wing is rubber banded on to the fuse and the struts are not necessary for flight loads, then I would suggest the following.

Add small rearward facing wire hooks( 1/32") for the front and rear strut attachment points on the bottom of the wing , gluing them to a rib which should be there to take the strut attachment. Slit the covering on one side of the rib to install the wire - use a short chord wise return leg on the wire to run on the side of the rib, and then CA it carefully in place.

Then add a small section of heat shrink tubing on the struts(CA them onto the balsa struts) to pick up on the hooks and hold the struts in position. In a collision with mother earth the wing will fly off and release the struts - hopefully!

To achieve a tightish fit on the hooks preshrink the tubing till it is tight on the 1/32 wire. This will give a better friction hold than using say aluminium tubing.

Good luck.

John
packardpursuit
Platinum Member

Kudos: 45

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 12:39:54 AM »

Personally, I feel that proper (adequate!) strut and/or other structural attachments usually need to be addressed prior to covering. cluing balsa strut to paper covering is asking the joint to fail. However placement of blocks, sockets, spars and possibly even scale fitting BEFORE the covering, help make  attachment more secure. Kind of too late, after the fact.

On the other hand, a "break away" attachment might be desirable. Fixing struts with rubber cement (or other temporary adhesive) on tissue might be viable, if the tissue is supported, from behind, with smooth blocking, prior to covering. Struts attached to tissue in an open bay is just asking for the strut end to be driven thru the tissue, in "a hard arrival". Struts and other simulated scale structure, even when adequately addressed, is still at risk for potential harm.

Adding supports to a covered model will probably mean cutting and patching. Not a huge undertaking on a Cub. Fix it now or face greater repairs later???
Viperkite
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2020, 02:34:51 AM »

I use mini-magnets. They can be a bit fiddly, but are virtually invisible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: