Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 20, 2019, 10:12:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Howard Boys 1/12 Lysander (50")  (Read 4669 times)
ffscale
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2019, 07:45:33 AM »

Wonderful planning and execution of such a complex assembly - stunning work Mike.

Mike S
Graham Banham
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2019, 11:18:13 AM »

Magnificent in every way, from the skill in planning/ execution to the flawless construction and the end product.

Superb: can’t wait for more Mike!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2019, 01:13:50 PM »

Wot they said. That is inspiring and depressing in equal measure!

Dan.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

New Zealand New Zealand

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2019, 01:35:23 PM »

Just to re-cap you'll recall my plan for a rigid internal framework.    In the end I decided to try it without, reasoning that by the time the 2 shells are joined with the internal doublers the shell would be pretty strong on its own,  and a bit of flex could be a good thing.    Also the wheels are pretty big on this model at 70mm diameter and they come down a long way,  so hopefully the spats won't be too vulnerable.

The undercarriage springing is a more complex version of what I did for my little KeilKraft Lizzie but with an elastic band or spring instead of a torsion system.  In fact the rubber band shown here will be replaced with an expansion spring due to the difficulty of  replacing bands once the wheel is in and the 2 sides are glued together.

At this point the half with all the gear in it is glued to the wooden stub that slides onto the carbon U/C spars.  The 1/4 Liteply wheel leg which carries the suspension is solidly glued to the stub and is reinforced by the 2.8mm square carbon which also acts as a stop for the suspension.

The internal doublers which both strengthen and provide glue surface are just moulded off the original form so they can't help but be right!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Howard Boys 1/12 Lysander (50")
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2019, 01:49:29 PM »

Great bit of engineering Mike. Looking at the pics I was worried about how you replace the band, the spring will hopefully solve that. Outstanding work
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: October 06, 2019, 04:51:47 PM »

Superb bit of engineering. This is already a stunner and it's only going to get better...

Dan.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: