Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 19, 2019, 11:12:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: PZL Wilga for .5cc diesel  (Read 6613 times)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 115

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: March 04, 2019, 04:22:14 AM »

I think Kryten looks great and fits the model perfectly.
Kryten! Of course. Thank you. You can initiate smug mode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD9d0ZrBnLE
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: March 04, 2019, 04:31:45 AM »

I'm sure the trimming will wipe the smug grin of his face ;-)

LASTWOODSMAN
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

REAL PLANES HAD ROUND ENGINES AND TWO WINGS

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: March 04, 2019, 07:19:26 AM »

Now that is a great looking realistic "sober" pilot (who knows what 'bottle the throttle' means LOL ), to go with your great looking realistic PZL Wilga.   Smiley

LASTWOODSMAN
Richard

OH, I HAVE SLIPPED THE SURLY BONDS OF EARTH ... UP, UP THE LONG DELIRIOUS BURNING BLUE ... SUNWARD I'VE CLIMBED AND JOINED THE TUMBLING MIRTH OF SUN-SPLIT CLOUDS ...
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 64

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: March 04, 2019, 08:46:07 AM »

The pilot looks great, Chris ..... the layer lines do remind me of a pinless Pinhead, from the film of the same name!

Progress with your lettering ... I got some yellow vinyl today. Hopefully a close enough shade.
'Weeding' has to be done carefully, but it gives you a spray mask too if you decide to take that direction (the tiny letter centres can just be seen)
Don't worry .... I will run a good few sets in case you need a practice run!
I'll try the Stencil font stuff next ... I have beefed it up by 0.1mm all round!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: PZL Wilga for .5cc diesel
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #154 on: March 04, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »

That's looking really good Russ.

In retrospect, it would have been better to have used the vinyl letters as a mask on the yellow BEFORE I added the blue stripe. Removing the vinyl letters mask would have produced the easiest method.... I'm still learning how to finish

As it is vinyl letters over the Blue stripe should produce the result I'm after. Very appreciative of more than one go at it

Chris
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #155 on: March 04, 2019, 03:04:43 PM »

I hope that you don't mind me posting progress here, Chris? .... I thought it might give others that are not familiar with vinyl lettering a bit of an insight.

I think I have cracked the other lettering too, though it required a very delicate weeding (removing the unwanted vinyl) process!
Normally I weed before I apply the transfer paper (in this case just masking tape). The required graphic is left on the backing paper.
In this case it was still too delicate, so I applied the masking tape transfer paper first. I then pulled all the vinyl from the backing and weeded with the masking tape holding the required parts better than the backing paper.
Still a bit of a delicate operation, but once done I pressed the vinyl back onto the backing paper so the the adhesive does not go off.
It's best to do this just before application for 'best sticking' .... so you will probably have to go through this yourself. A sharp scalpel blade and my recently rediscovered weeding tweezers helped!

Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: March 04, 2019, 04:03:55 PM »

As someone 'not familiar with vinyl lettering' I'm very grateful for the extra insight too

I didn't realise masking tape would work as a transfer medium , I was imagining some specially low tack film - good to know

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: March 04, 2019, 04:15:27 PM »

Yes Chris, that's right ... usually it is a lower tack.
With such small parts the extra tack helps ... as long as the adhesive beats the masking tape with the final application!
It does have to be removed carefully, pulling the masking tape back in the same plane as the application surface, if you can follow my dodgy explanation?!
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #158 on: March 05, 2019, 01:30:40 PM »

Makes sense to me Russ.

Spent most of the day putting up a fence ! but I did manage to add some glazing strips to the canopy.  Apart from fitting the engine and finally balancing it (its not far off) I'm about ready to throw it at the scenery...I might wait for the scenery to grow a bit taller first :-)

Nearly there...
Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: March 05, 2019, 01:41:45 PM »

Looking well excellent Chris!
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: March 09, 2019, 12:21:12 PM »

I had a go this afternoon with the vinyl lettering that Russ (FreeFlightModeller) has very kindly cut for me.

I used Microset decal softener to remove the first attempt at waterslide decals that turned dark green this softens them enough so can just peal them off. Russ had already kindly weeded a set from the backing sheet so it was too tempting not to try to fit them.  Looks excellent Russ thanks again.

Not sure they are quite straight looking at the photos but I have a few extra sets so I'll try again later. I didn't appreciate that there is no repositioning once the lettering held on the carrier masking tape actually sticks to the fuselage. The PZL 104 bit looks great and is in the right place.

Jack Plane
Platinum Member

Kudos: 33

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: March 09, 2019, 04:14:30 PM »

That's out-of-sight excellent.  Well done to both of you!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: March 09, 2019, 04:40:52 PM »

Wow ... that was quick! I'm glad it has worked for you.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 175

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: March 09, 2019, 07:02:41 PM »

Nifty results Chris and Russ.

John
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2019, 02:24:42 PM »

Thanks Jon and John

I had another go applying Russ's excellent graphics and positioned these much better. It's a bit of a learning curve weeding the tiny letters away from the rest of the vinyl but I'm very happy with the result the lettering gives once it's lined it up correctly, it sets the model off nicely . Thanks again Russ

So that's just about done, bar the bit it was actually built for ... flying ...but that will have to wait for the weather. As I write this, gales whistle round the house and rain lashes on the roof.. I was going to take some pics outside ..perhaps not

Anyway here's some sort of finished shots in the calm and dry of the workshop
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 115

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2019, 02:57:35 PM »

What a lovely job you’ve made of that, Chris and the markings look great. It’s a gleaming yellow gem of a model, which will light up the outdoor season. Looking forward to seeing it in action!
FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2019, 03:45:49 PM »

That looks fantastic, Chris.

Provided the cutter can cut the parts, then that is the easy part of the job ... the work is all in the weeding and application... you've certainly cracked it!
ironmike
Platinum Member

Kudos: 84

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2019, 03:13:20 PM »

What a great looking model squirrel
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: March 30, 2019, 03:19:03 PM »

Thanks Mike

Well the weather was perfect today so the temptation to try it was too great and I headed to my local field for some intial test glides

Unfortunately the lack of grass cutting on the common has resulted in the growth of Hawthorn amongst the grass. I had encountered it on my last test glides with the Tomtit but with shorter grass its much more noticeable.. and it's everywhere

Very happy with the few glides I did do in a small clear bit, but reluctant to do more for risk of damage. I'll wait for the grass to grow a bit more and head to Port Meadow.

Very encouragingly it looks like its going straight, despite all the the flap and slat gaps that could easily upset the equilibrium.

There's a short video here https://youtu.be/KcOFtQi6uLEof a couple of chucks, from the nose up stance it maybe over elevated but without further tests it's hard to tell ..it's not stalling but looks a bit nose up.... only more thorough testing will reveal what's going on....roll on spring !!!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 04:08:03 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: May 15, 2019, 04:28:45 PM »

I'm very happy to report the PZL Wilga has successfully flown, having completed a number of flights at the Mayfly last weekend.

The Redfin needs almost full power to pull the model round but it looks very nice in the air under power and the slats and flaps seem to work well at stabilising the model and it even seems to self correct from any gusts trying alter the circuit. So I was very pleased with the model.... until the engine stopped  Embarrassed

The glide is paving slab-esque to say the least. I did try gliding it first, honest and had something slightly less steep than in the video. I think that trying to achieve a decent glide with what are basically double full width air brakes on each wing is not really going to happen. After some helpful advice, thanks Gareth, I tried taping up the slot gaps  but a short power run revealed a vicious tip stall so I called it day. Without the slats the stabilising effects are completely lost which seems to indicate the slot and flaps are doing something

To get it glide I have a plan which involves building a couple of new wings of more conventional nature minus the slats, if I have the time, or failing that flying as is at the Nats next weekend and taking a hit.  I'll try for the new wings- I think I have a plan hope I have the time

https://youtu.be/G4dYjSN_-9g
3view
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2019, 12:50:47 PM »

I think I have a plan hope I have the time.

Convert to electric and come down with some power on? Grin

Congratulations on your progress so far. You must be able to dial in a more positive glide, more noseweight? I'm sure the wilga can't be more draggy than a WW1 biplane?

Steve
RalphS
Gold Member

Kudos: 23

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2019, 01:32:56 PM »

Lovely looking model.  Shame about the glide.  I built my Storch some time ago and early glide tests were disappointing.  I put that down to drag caused by the slots but as the model was needed to get free entry into the old Woodvale meet I persevered.  I found a nice little grassy slope and trimmed the model by moving the CG until the glide slope from a hand launch pretty well followed the actual slope.  Once this was okay I trimmed for power and the model flew well.  I find that the Storch needs to be launched slightly nose up, even on low power. This indicates to me that the slots do work.  Find a grassy slope before making new wings. Hand glides of draggy models from a height of 5' over flat ground don't give time to properly assess the glide.  Poor glides from powered heights can be final.  If moving the CG back does help the glide you may have to re-adjust thrust lines.  Best of luck.
Squirrelnet
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2019, 03:31:53 PM »

Thanks both - good thoughts.

Steve - I was thinking on the ride home of maybe fitting a timer to induce half throttle so I get a powered glide but that's not a quick solution as it would need a few mods and sourcing a suitable throttle and timer unit

Ralph - Thanks I will explore the glide a bit more...I know of just such a slope and maybe the best way out with only a week until the Nats

Chris
strat-o
Gold Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2019, 06:55:05 PM »

Does the full-scale aircraft feature retractable slots?  I would guess not as I've seen a full-scale one tied down and it's slots were open.  But if it did, you could have the slots retracted which might solve most of your flight problems but then for static display, have them deployed.

Marlin
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2019, 03:48:05 AM »

Chris
It could just be the combination of 12oz/sq ft (double the ideal) and high drag.
If you build new wings without slots, I've seen experts like Richard Crossley do work with the airbrush that would convince us the slots were there.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: