Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 22, 2019, 06:31:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Question - No-Cal wingspan from 3-view drawing  (Read 269 times)
ghcrash
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 27, 2018, 02:21:30 PM »

I was in the process of drawing up No-Cal plans from a 3-view drawing and I got to wondering what people did in determining the wingspan for a No-Cal plane.  Do you ignore the width of the fuselage and extend the wing outline to the centerline of the fuselage?  Or do you use the wing’s fuselage to wingtip length to determine the No-Cal wing span?   The first option is shown in blue on the drawing, the second in red.   It seems to me that, depending on wing shape and fuselage shape, that one way could result in a wing with a measurable (in wing loading or flight time) difference in wing area.

I would like to hear your thoughts.

George
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Question - No-Cal wingspan from 3-view drawing

George
frash
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 04:39:58 PM »

It is a very good question, George. I worried about it once but haven't built or flown a No-Cal since, that I can remember. Probably I would scale by the wingtip to fuselage side distance unless someone objected or clarified the rules.

Fred Rash
Bredehoft
Gold Member

Kudos: 53

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 07:29:33 PM »

There is no "correct" method as NoCal is even less than Sorta Stand Way Off Scale.  You can do it either way and (I think) I have done it both ways.  Yes, once can give you more area - which might just make the difference it the way your model flies.

--g

Indoorflyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 08:50:44 PM »

I usually just scale the wing panel (fuselage side to wing tip) to 8 inches, and use the resulting position of "things" on the enlargement to aid in positioning the  markings and outlines of control surfaces, wing walks (on low wingers), etc.

It all depends on the plane you're modeling, and what you might need to fudge in order to keep it "recognizable", given the 16" span constraint.  You may want to maximize your wing area, without changing the overall "impression" of the airplane.  

I've been known to cut outlines in cereal box cardboard, just to mock-up a No-cal, to see if things "look right".  Especially helpful when you have something boxy (think Wittman Tailwind or Thorp T-18), or with tapered wings; it helps maintain the character of the plane you're modeling.  
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 09:15:11 PM by Indoorflyer » Logged

Make the same mistake on both sides; nobody will notice...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: