Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 20, 2019, 02:12:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tissue, shiny side or dull side?  (Read 512 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 21, 2018, 08:54:42 AM »

Somewhere in this forum I came a cross a discussion about applying tissue that mentioned something about shiny side vs dull side, but dang if I can remember what it said or where it was. Several searches haven't turned it up, so I'll ask the question:

When getting ready to apply tissue, is it better to have the shiny side against the balsa or away from it? And if there is a preference, why?  This is generic supplied with the kit tissue. I'm building to fly for personal enjoyment, not for competition.

Thanks,
Dan

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 132

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 09:02:14 AM »

Depends. The only case where I go shiny side out is when I am chalking (very rare) the dull side.

The Threadkiller!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2018, 09:27:51 AM »

Instinctively I have the shiny side out.  Which in my (limited circle) seems to be the norm but I suspect it matters not! Save for when going for ultimate duration.
cvasecuk
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 09:50:31 AM »

I consider the "norm" to be dull side out and have only ever done it this way!!!
Ron
MKelly
Gold Member

Kudos: 84

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »

I've been covering shiny side out.  However, when cutting out tissue markings I do them dull side out, as it makes it easier to slide them around and get positioning just right without tearing them.  I use a dot of glue stick to tack them in place, then flow dope thinner through the tissue to adhere them. Having the dull side out seems to help the dope thinner wick through the tissue and leaves the marking looking just about painted on.

Mike
tom arnold
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Casper Wyoming

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »

Taking all the above into account, once your tissue is on, shrunk, doped and painted----there is no visible difference. Same goes for folded or creased tissue so don't knock your self out trying to keep your tissue all smooth and perfect in a roll.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 45

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2018, 11:27:14 AM »

OK - so in the end does it make any material difference - save as Mike Kelly says (and which I discovered recently by accident) if you want to slide them around.  I think there are probably occasions when unintentionally I have mixed it but can’t say I recall noticing.
dhable
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 01:54:13 PM »

I am the guy whose post you saw originally. I posted the question because I saw a video by "Duco Guhru" who said he always applied shiny side out but didnt explain why he did so. All the replies to my thread revolved around "it doesnt matter". However, one reply said that shiny side out with dull side in might make it easier for that dull tissue to adhere for those of us who use glue stick to adhere. That made sense to me so Ive done it that way ever since. I do like the idea above about trim pieces dull side out for the reasons stated.
dhable
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 01:55:30 PM »

Sorry for the misspelled words. Typing in a moving vehicle. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: