Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 24, 2019, 06:23:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
News: Help Support Hip Pocket Aeronautics Builders' Forum and Plan Gallery

You can help support our forum and gallery
by having plans printed by Ratz.

Details and Feedback here: Help Support the Forum & Gallery - Plan Printing

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Time to talk about E-36 Payload again?  (Read 346 times)
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2018, 07:54:16 AM »

Ok, I've got a "bee in my bonnet" (some might say a "hair up my....")(or, maybe a "bustle in my hedgerow")

I really want to resurrect the idea of having a provisional E-36 Payload event at the Nats in 2019.

the rules we agreed on in this thread:

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=19782.25

Seemed to work well, and a couple years ago, Duncan and I had a blast trying it out.

So, what do you say, gents? You In? Dust off those old orphan E-36 wings and build a fuselage...

I say we each put a fiver in a hat and whoever wins, takes home the bacon (Mmmmmm.... Bacon....)

Rich
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 08:11:28 AM by Starduster » Logged

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Duncan McBride
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 05:21:30 PM »

I think just like what E36 is going thru right now, we need to limit performance somehow.  Here are some ideas.  This should be fun to argue about, because NOBODY is actually flying this event.  Everybody is an expert!    So feel free to jump right in and tell us how it should be done.   Grin

1.  I think Aram Schlosberg either suggested limiting the prop size, or kind assumed that it was being limited, but whatever, I'm starting to agree with him.  Just to keep things from getting completely out of hand, we could require a two blade non-folding propeller, maximum 5 inches in diameter.  Commercially available.  Hard to draw too many amps with a small prop.  Also it's a pretty simple rules change, and it will make a lot of the existing payload designs for the TeeDee .020 pretty straightforward to convert.   Other than that the rules would stay the same.

2.  Electric power solutions are evolving so fast.  My vision of a payload event is underpowered ships struggling to ROG and climb high enough to maybe take advantage of good air, but really any attempt that doesn't result in a cartwheel in the grass is pretty good.  The original idea to use current E36 power trains? Well that train has left the station.  So maybe make it more like a one-design?    Power payload now is just about the TeeDee .020.  Maybe we should just pick a moderate cheap motor and prop combo like E20, and standardize on that.

Let's hear it, gang!

Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 31

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 06:50:36 PM »

Hi Duncan

If this event were to "take off" (pun intended), I would agree; there would need to be some sort of power limitation... however....

I really believe that you and I will, in all probabilities, be the only two flying this event. As such, I'd say leave the rules simple for right now. Later, if a bunch of guys show up with Jule Boxes with landing gears, we can talk about limiting the power.

One rule that I do think would help is to add a requirement for a minimum takeoff roll. Say, the wheels must not leave the runway until at least three feet. This would prevent some bozo rule bender from adding three tiny wheels to the back end of a E-36 and doing what would amount to a VTO.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: