Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 19, 2019, 01:11:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How small can you go?  (Read 1886 times)
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2016, 07:01:29 AM »

I have a sweet Millish 0.5cc diesel.  Would it have enough fizz for control line?
Any thoughts welcome, thanks.
4f
billdennis747
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 08:27:17 AM »

Well, if an ED 0.46 can fly this:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/results.asp?keyword=cheshire+kitten

then why not
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 01:29:49 PM »

Bill,,thanks for this which I missed for some reason ...
Looks good and easy to,build too.  Next project after chuck n chase!
4f
Robmoff
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 06:18:25 PM »

You can fly this one:-
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=4444&mode=search
on a Cox PeeWee. (and I have done!)

Never underestimate the innate hostility of inanimate objects.
Fourfingers
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 05:24:33 PM »

Robmoff, now that IS different!  I would need to fix an u/c, being a solo flyer ...
One to think about, thanks.
Dr Spark
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 06:28:20 PM »

These small diesels fascinate me.  This is (I think) a Neville Palmer/ Dave Banks replica Elfin 1.8 reduced to 0.020 cu.in. Once warmed up, it runs really fine.

The plane is one of the "Fry" series by Ron Prentice, who lived near London in 1948 when he designed "Small Fry", and others.  His own "Tiny Fry" was CO2 powered for indoor C/L.

Floyd
Eugene, OR
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: How small can you go?
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 278

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 08:30:57 PM »

Memories!    I was flying Small Fry's,  with Mills 1.3cc,  around 1949/50   .....    Smiley
Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 277

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 11:00:02 PM »

I was one of the first people in this country to fly control line and one of the first to leave control line - about 1950 so recollection is Hazy.  I think a big consideration is the control lines.  Thread lines are not nice, wire lines are more trouble to handle.  Either cause a surprising amount of drag so they can't be too long but if you make them short you need to be able to spin round fast without getting dizzy.  Also with a small light model on long lines you will have to keep an eye on the weather; if there is much wind you will probably have to dig the nose out of the ground.  Control Line really took off in this country when the Elfin came on the market.  It was light but powerful and very soon everybody could do 'the book' albeit badly.  After that more powerful motors became the norm.

I don't doubt your Millish will fly something round in circles if you want to prove a point but I don't think it will give you much pleasure.

John (always looking on the bright side!)

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Dr Spark
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 11:07:45 PM »

Good to know someone else likes the "Frys" !

How's this for a collection?  I still have all but "FoxFry".

Tiny Fry  Replica Elfin 1.8 at 0.020 cu. in.

Small Fry  Original Elfin (1.5cc?)

Big Fry   Argo replica Elfin 2.5cc

Fox Fry    Fox 35 (what else?)
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 12:37:05 AM »

>Original Elfin (1.5cc?)

1.8cc

Tapio Linkosalo
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2016, 01:41:14 AM »

Robmoff, now that IS different!  I would need to fix an u/c, being a solo flyer ...

In Aeromodeller, decades ago, there was a setup to solo handlaunch a CL model. It was a short pole, with a "slot" (like two large washers slightly apart) on top. You puch/hammer the pole to the ground, half line length off you, then wrap the lines clockwise 'round the pole. When you get the motor running, you take the handle to your right hand, model facing to right to your left hand. Pull the lines (going round the pole) tight, and launch the model to the right, stepping back to keep the lines tight. The model flies half a circle round the pole until lines are released from the slot, then carry on normally. All the time model can be controlled (as much as you need for the split second to get it airborne).

For such light models I guess dyneema fishing line would be good, thin and light control line?

Big G
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 10:49:12 AM »

I agree with Hepcat about small CL models - by and large they are a waste of time and effort. When I was a nipper I spent way too much time trying to learn to fly CL with an Allbon Dart-powered KK Champ - it would fly (just) but had big problems dragging even quite short terylene control-lines around the circle. I only really got moving when I listened (at long last) to more experienced flyers and got an AM15, and I was soon buzzing around and having fun. I can also remember wasting hours and hours helping newcomers trying to get their Cox r.t.f. models in the air. The only one we ever had even mediocre success with was the PT19.

Having said all the above, have you all seen the YouTube video of Igor Burger doing the F2B schedule with his tiny electric indoor stunter? It seems that if you really must fly teensy little CL models then electric is the way to go.

G
slipstick
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2016, 01:08:13 PM »

Having said all the above, have you all seen the YouTube video of Igor Burger doing the F2B schedule with his tiny electric indoor stunter? It seems that if you really must fly teensy little CL models then electric is the way to go.
And particularly indoors where there's no wind to mess you about. Small low-powered models tend not to like wind.

Steve
Dr Spark
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2016, 01:52:08 PM »

This is what an original Elfin 1.49cc looks like.  I would love to obtain an original Elfin 1.8cc.  I flew one back in 1949, not appreciating what an unique engine it was.

Floyd
Dr Spark
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 06:16:27 PM »

I searched for an original Elfin 1,8cc for a long time.  Found a nice one, so I quickly built another Small Fry for it.
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 10:49:51 PM »

Should be much livelier than the Small Fry I had 'way back then' with Mills 1.3cc

Memories......     Grin
Dr Spark
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2019, 06:10:58 PM »

The plans for Small Fry show a ED sideport diesel, probably 1.5cc.  The Elfn 1.8cc has reserve of power.  Ron Prentice used this plane to win the 1949 "All Herts Rallye".  (I think that's somewhere around London).
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 07:06:03 PM »

ED didn't build a sideport -  plans likely show a Mills1.3  which I believe Ron used.  Simple stunt patterns in those days.

'All Herts Rally" most often at Radlett aerodrome in (not surprisingly) Hertfordshire;  fond memories of flying there on a number of occasions. Crowded with contestants and public in those days.

Far side of airfield bordered with a sewage farm, a railway line and - over the  wall beyond that - a mental asylum.  Made for some interesting retrievals.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 07:25:39 PM by applehoney » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: