Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 07, 2020, 06:19:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New TSA Flight Endurance design (2019-2020 rules)  (Read 1016 times)
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 99

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 11, 2018, 01:28:55 PM »

Just finished up development of this critter. Build videos coming soon. It flies nicely, just not as slow and gentle as the old ones that allowed nice big wings. Still, plenty fun.

http://jhaerospace.com/product/senior-flyer-rog/
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
New TSA Flight Endurance design (2019-2020 rules)
New TSA Flight Endurance design (2019-2020 rules)
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 01:47:52 PM »

Got some flying in...here's a video (trimming instructional forthcoming):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_ZqAPW6jUw
jcobbs
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2019, 03:25:44 PM »

Are you going to be at the TSA nationals this week.

Jim
aardvark_bill
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2019, 06:21:19 PM »

I saw a couple of these at the TSA nats including one biplane from Crawford, Georgia that flew pretty well.  Too bad though that we all brought airplanes to an essay writing contest...
Congrats to jcobbs kid on the come-from-behind 3rd place trophy - well done.  1st was won by the #6 flight times.  Top flyer only managed 4th and the #3 times didn't make top 10.
We're going to spend most of our time next year working on documentation because losing to planes that you outflew by 90 seconds is maddening, but that's the rules. Maybe next year...
jcobbs
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 08:53:45 AM »

Aardvark_bill

Congrats to you and your students on some excellent flying.  I saw some good flying from VA GA TX MS and CO. I’m probably missing a few also. TSA sometimes wants to make the rules to fit them rather than fit the competition.  I get frustrated sometimes too.  Earlier in the early 2000’s I had a student for three years that always came in behind the other student I also had entered.  He always had a better flying plane just didn’t quite get as good on the documentation.

It’s always fun to watch.  We get to hear polite applause and sighs of disappointment.  Even though we are competitors we tend to compete with each other congenially rather than compete against each other. 
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 09:03:49 AM »

It's those silly academia-induced rules that make me stay uninvolved.
jcobbs
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2019, 10:16:19 AM »

I just hope with all the students I work with that at least one will eventually come join the hobby.
SyLa-20871
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 11:13:24 AM »

Billy, Jim,

My son and I enjoyed the pleasure of meeting you and chatting with you.  The endurance flights were impressive to see, especially the biplanes.  My son placed third in MS Flight with the TSA Shooter by Maxout, and was pleased as punch to walk off with the trophy.  Our goal was to get on the stage.  As for my sons' interest in this hobby, he has been hooked since 5th grade and looks forward to more building and flying.  Is there a way to get the scoring feedback for the documentation?  This was his first year and we made a best guess at what was required for the documentation.  I am sure there is room for improvement.

Best,
Laurent
jcobbs
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 12:17:46 PM »

SyLa

Nice meeting you and your son. I’m always glad to see students interested in Flight.

There is supposed to be feedback posted on the website later.  I believe chapter advisor credentials may be required to view.  It will take them a few weeks to get it uploaded.  Check with his advisor. 

Jim

aardvark_bill
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »

SyLa,
It was nice to meet you too.  Jim is correct about the feedback; his advisor will be able to see the actual score sheets in a few weeks.

Jim - please don't take my grumbling about the documentation scoring as anything more than frustration with myself for not emphasizing it enough with my kids; I really let them down in that regard. As you said, we have a very congenial rivalry and I am truly happy for your student and the other students that got trophies - they definitely knew how to fly their planes well and put the effort and time into the stuff that earned them the points to win.  We'll be back next year and give it another go...with better notebooks...we hope. Smiley
I remind myself frequently that this is a technology contest that involves model airplanes and not a model airplane contest.  But that won't stop me from giving feedback to the organization to try to keep the emphasis on the flying.

Flydean - let the advisor handle the paperwork and just teach some kids build and fly.  The TSA plane is a great vehicle - no pun intended - to get students involved in the amazing facet of model aviation that is indoor. 
Maxout
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 01:35:51 PM »

I need to get video up from Tyler's 5th place flight at the Nats, but in the meantime, here's a 3 minute flight from mine. Tyler and Ethan were both doing 2:50-3:00 in practice but had some problems in Baltimore. The plane we are flying is a fully laser cut design with interlocking spars and such that seems to work really well. They build very fast.
https://youtu.be/tKl3x_HE2BU
Little-Acorn
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2020, 03:41:58 PM »

What ARE the rules for TSA airplanes? Limitations on wings, stable, motors, props, weight etc.? I did some internet searching, but not quite sure what title to search for, came up empty so far.
jcobbs
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 07:20:44 PM »

There will revised rules for 2021-22.  New rule cycle every two years.   I have no idea what the rule revisions might be.  We don’t have any idea yet how our district, state, or national competitions will be conducted. 
Little-Acorn
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2020, 06:01:59 PM »

What were they for past year(s)? Anybody have a link to last year's (or year before's) TSA rules?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: