Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 23, 2021, 02:14:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Yashinskiy F1N  (Read 4960 times)
Skymon
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

fly it

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2020, 02:29:19 PM »

Hiya Thermal, I'm a big kiting fan too Smiley
Some of the very light tapered Skyshark carbon is OK for the larger gliders, but on the whole kite carbon is a bit too strong/heavy.

You can quite easily get reasonable times and a nicely flying glider using basic materials.
The carbon fuse tubes are mostly carp pole ends, quite easily sourced from the Chinese sites like Bangood and Aliexpress, there are a few link ion this site.
You can gently sand them if you want to reduce weight even more.

Catapult gliders are harder to get right than HLG, because the stress of launch can be so destructive.
If you want to fly outdoors catapult then try the nice little sweepette based design by JOshua Finn, I have loads.
They take an hour to build and will fly for a couple of minutes in a park.
You can also scale up the design by 10 or 20% and get longer times.
Use hobby shop wood, but just take a look thorugh the stock to get the lightest you can.

The Balsa cabin in the UK do provide some great Contest quality wood for a few pence more.
I've had loads of orders from there and the wood is between 5 and 6 lb, so great for glider wings.

You can go composite quite easily by buying laminate floor underlay from DIY shops.
The thin stuff is about 3mm and can easily be sanded to thinner or tapered sections.
You need to use epoxy to join the wood and foam though, it's not tricky, just pin the parts together over greaseproof paper.
use very little epoxy and put it on the very edge of the wood part, using your fingers to wipe most of it off.

When you start you'll more likely build robustly, these gliders will fly beautifully outside on a calm evening - now we're allowed to go out!

Look forward to seeing you on a hall someday.

thermal
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2020, 04:21:15 AM »

Hi Skymon,
Many thanks for the reply and advice!
I had been considering RC DLG, but didn’t take it any further. However “free flight” gliders (Catapult and hand launch gliders) having seen videos from Joshua Finn and Nighthawk gliders I found really interesting.
It also took me back to childhood using rubber band powered balsa wood gliders.
They were flat packed complete with plastic dihedral assembly for the wings to slide into, :-) Great days!

I’m currently sourcing materials from a number of suppliers on eBay, but will take a look at the supplier that you have mentioned.
Delivery times are taking much longer due to the current situation as well as the amount of business suppliers are dealing with right now.

I’ve always had an interest in kites and have attended a number of kite festivals such as Portsmouth and Bristol International Kite festivals.
I started with single line kites, power kites and finally moved to Kitesurfing using high aspect ratio foil kites that I self-maintain.

I’m on a steep learning curve now with respect to making model gilders, materials, glues and tuning.

Thanks again,

Regards
Thermal
Skymon
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

fly it

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2020, 08:44:25 AM »

Thermal
I live in Portsmouth, so always hit the kite festival, I've been flying kites for over thirty years now.
I used to race kite buggies back in the 90's, I used to build my own foils too.
Now I'm just trick kites, I have a few Benson kites and a nice Matrix Reloaded from Level1.

Back to gliders - I'd say grab some balsa from anywhere you can, 1/16th will do.
Some balsa cement, a bit of sandpaper and a scalpel.
The Sweepette 8 plan in the gallery is free download.

I'd use 1/16th and laminate the fuse from two bits.
Sand the tail feathers to 1/32 to lighten then up and go for it.
Use one of those bands the posties drop all over the place and ping it skywards.

It's and easy build, flies great and you can make progress by building better and lighter.
You can also learn a load from trimming.
I think you could make one for £2.

I tend to reinforce that rear section you have to hold on to - once that breaks you need some serious surgery.
But don't mess up the tiny angle on the rear fuse section - a lot of CLGs use 0-0 incidence, this one has about .3 of a degree.
You can mount the stab o the top of the fuse for real 0-0 and then trim.

If you want to work on indoor gliders for when we're allowed back in, then there are some great plans here and most have build threads.

Tip launch RC is OK, but it's nothing like the thrill of freeflight.

I've had some awesome summer evenings flying till dark on those warm still nights.
Watch out for dogs though.

here's some pics of my 20% bigger Sweepette 8 before adding nose weight.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Yashinskiy F1N
thermal
Bronze Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 16, 2021, 04:20:07 AM »

Gosh, its been a while and thanks for the details.
I have built a number of gliders but yet to fully test and configure them.
Looking at building a Sweepette 16” and still getting acquainted with the build notes as well as the terminology.
The plan is in inches but need to carefully work out some of the dimension as one states 3.63!
May be there is a thread on the forum that helps in understanding the plans.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: