Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 24, 2019, 09:51:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pelta 1980 RCM Conversion to a E-Pelta BUILD  (Read 1061 times)
vtdiy
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2018, 07:15:11 PM »

Another really interesting model, and build!
I also really appreciated your mechanical servo mixing. Great stuff.

Looking forward to the first flight in Spring (I'm guessing)!
steveair2
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2018, 09:59:36 AM »

Very nice!  I love the color scheme.  Thanks for the Silkspan lite and EZ Dope with tissue trim process.  I'll probably try that on my next model.                                      That is an interesting model. Nice and simple with the sliding tray.  I'm struggling with a new computer radio trying to get elevons working.   
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 70

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2018, 10:31:52 AM »

Thanks for the last few opinions, guys, I like traditional work, it keeps me closer to the intent of the design even though I may be modifying the internals and power to suit my kit and power-plant. This model was a very interesting build for me as I had not tried a delta before and with the advent of Eze Dope and my experiences with water based varathane, I think I am enjoying balsa tissue projects very much. The heat I took when using acetone based finishes was knocking all those stick and tissue finishes off the bench. Like anything else, these finishes have their tricks and many have done some good tests that you can read about on the internet. The crap tissue on silk-span for trim color was amusing as it was also a snap to make designs and goofball icons like my thunderbird 4 image on the side. all done in bits of tissue. The clear varathane topcoat is what one can use to make smoother finishes. In fact one can do this whole job without the EzEDope and use the Varathane Dimond Coat wood finish as well as ezedope. I could still add a couple of layers of clear finish to the E-Pelta. Sliding trays was interesting because these servos are so pewney. Balsa Ply tray gadgetry was still practical at this size and easy enough to make. I only did this because I am using a traditional 72 MHz radio that has only 4 channels and no computerization. Hitec Focus 4 so it was the only way to make the mixing. I had fun with that problem it was a good exercise I won't repeat it. I have to go through the computer radio head games yet and I am not looking forward to it but that will be for another time. I am going to have to make sure the CofG is as per instructions on the article, to get through the initial test flight. I have flown a tailless plank airplane before and it went ok, (Combat Gremlin) so I hope no surprises. This model is light so it should go fine.

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 180

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2018, 07:30:33 PM »

Looking forward to the report on it's maiden SD. Good luck.

John
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: